• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice Needed

devil1916

Established Member
At present i have an onkyo 606 connected to a 5.1 setup of MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI speakers. I use this for PS3 and for watching movies on a A.C. Ryan Playon!HD Mini.

I have just purchased a new 3d telly the samsung UE46ES8000 which will be arriving tomorrow only to disover that the onkyo 606 wont support 3d:(

I will be replacing the playon mini with an HTPC and for viewing 3d content i will either stream from this or from blu ray on the PS3.

The dilema i have is should i just connect the PC and PS3 direct to the TV by HDMI and connect them to the amp by optical for sound or would it be worthwhile replacing the amp with an Onkyo 509 for £280

PSM1

Distinguished Member
There are pros and cons to both options. By only using optical to the amp it will mean you do not get HD audio from blurays but it is a low cost and workable solution. Buying a new amp will cost more and the 509 is a level below your current amp so could mean a drop in sound quality as well.
The PS3 is a 1.3HDMI device so you may well be able to get 3D to pass through your current amp with. 1.3 devices like your 606 can often pass one of the 3D types through (think it is the side by side version although could be wrong) which the PS3 uses but not the other type which 3D bluray players use.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom