• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed

Dutch2010

Standard Member
My son bought a --ASUS HD 5770 Cu Core 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card, but after trying it in his computer, we saw that writen on the box it was saying that a 500 Watt, 40 Amp power supply is needed to run this, and not the 450 Watt power supply that is already in the PC.
Can anyone please help and give me some advice as to what power supply is needed to run this graphics card.

Jeroen1000

Established Member
Dutch, this largeley depends on what you have in that computer. Every part needs power and the more power hungry the parts are the more wattage you will require. Graphic cards and CPU's are the most power hungry components.

There are several voltages output by a PSU (called rails, sort of), with 12v being the most important. So if a PSU is rated 500 watts, that does not mean it can output 500 watts on the 12v rail. Older PSU do not attach as much importance to the 12v rail as back then this was not required. Since both CPU and GPU now get their food from the 12v rail, this has become the most important.

You probably should buy a new PSU if you are concerned, a good one should set you back about 60 pounds. Be sure to buy a A brand like: Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, Zalman, Antec, ... Do buy the most efficient one you can afford (like 80 plus gold)

Last edited:

ActionHank

Established Member
Hi Dutch, Jeroen's explanation of PSUs is spot on, so you should definitely go through it :) Would you feel comfortable enough to open up the side of your case and check the power supply's manufacturer, model number and posting details in here? Or even posting the computers brand. Based on that info i'll be able to assist you on this matter.

Michael

Prominent Member
I'm currently running my 5770 on a 400W CX corsair PSU.

However, a cheap, no-name PSU will probably not run it.

If the pc was pre-built, and you can't find the model, run dxdiag, and tell us what the info says under system manufacturer.
If you have a custombuild, find the manufacturer/model of the PSU.

If the PSU does not have a 6pin connection, you will not be able to run the card anyway.
It's not too big a problem though, as eBuyer have the 400W CX for £33 atm, which you could swap in if needed, unless you want something meatier.
Corsair 400W CX PSU - 12cm Fan 80+ Certified - Ebuyer

ngrosso

Standard Member
My son bought a --ASUS HD 5770 Cu Core 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card, but after trying it in his computer, we saw that writen on the box it was saying that a 500 Watt, 40 Amp power supply is needed to run this, and not the 450 Watt power supply that is already in the PC.
Can anyone please help and give me some advice as to what power supply is needed to run this graphics card.
Could you list all the components?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom