• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice Needed

lukeyy

Banned
I had a problem with my gym last weekend and am looking to at least make a formal complaint about whtat has gone on.

1. I dont know who it should be written to? To the gym itself or?
2. If I am actually having a moan for no reason or have a valid argument.

Dont know If I can mention the name so ill leave it blank for now.

Id been in the gym about an hour and a half, showered and returned to my locker to find my lock had been cut off. Half of my gear was in their and half wasnt. I thought id been robbed until the cleaner in the changing rooms told me he had cut the lock off because somebody previously using that locker had told him theyd left something in their and that the rest of my stuff was at reception :mad:

1. Part of the items left in my locker UNLOCKED after it had been cut off included car keys my wallet (Yes they where still there but its not the point)

2. Are they just allowed to cut my lock off without at least trying to find me first?

3. This (PERSON) Could have seen a nice expensive lock and lied that theyd left something in the locker and easilly said that something of mine was actually theirs.

4. I demanded at least my lock be replaced as it was £15, to which I was told that would be fine just bring the receipt for it when your next in.

5. I brought the receipt in yesterday to which I was then told there is no way they would be replacing the lock and I can have one of their crappy £2.50 ones instead which ill be honest you could snap off with your hand. I obviously refused and they said theyre not willing to do anything else... I cancelled my membership there and then.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated. I know theoretically im only down £15 but I think they have been bang out of order here.

thanks

Luke

Last edited:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
My blood boils for you...

Is it a privately own gym or a chain? If it's a chain write to the head office, else write to the owner of the gym.

Seams bang out of order to me, i would not be a happy man either.

You can do a number of things:-

Firstly is this a chain or is it independant?, anyway you need to escalate this if you are getting no joy.

If this is part of a chain get in touch with head office and document your account.

Threaten them with your loss of custom if it comes to it.

I would also insist on some form of compensation.

Personally if avenues are closed or you are not satisfied, i would do a lovely story wth a local newspaper not leaving out the nitty gritty. ;)

Spread your bad experience, it always travels faster than good news. :smashin:

Again i would be surprised if you have to take it that level.

7ofnine

Prominent Member
They owe you. I'd be pursuing this until I got my money for a new lock. You can write, but I think it's far better to speak to someone. Ask to see the manager. What is your position legally? Is this a case of criminal damage?

lukeyy

Banned
Seams bang out of order to me, i would not be a happy man either.

You can do a number of things:-

Firstly is this a chain or is it independant?, anyway you need to escalate this if you are getting no joy.

If this is part of a chain get in touch with head office and document your account.

Threaten them with your loss of custom if it comes to it.

I would also insist on some form of compensation.

Personally if avenues are closed or you are not satisfied, i would do a lovely story wth a local newspaper not leaving out the nitty gritty. ;)

Spread your bad experience, it always travels faster than good news. :smashin:

Again i would be surprised if you have to take it that level.

Ill bear the newspaper thing in mind should it come to that :smashin: I cancelled my membership yesterday when they refused to pay me for the lock face to face :mad: As for compensation ive told them at the very least I want the money for my lock.
Ill let you know how the letter goes once I get a reply.

Cheers for the help :smashin:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Payment at the very least.

Out of interest, you said that some of your belongings had been left in the locker and some taken to the desk.

Did that make sense. I can only assume that they took the valuables to the desk.

But regardless of that they have

(i) Knowingly damaged your property and are refusing to compensate you

(ii) Disregarded your privacy and have (and allowed another member of the public) rooted through your personal pocessions.

(iii) Left your pocessions in an insecure state.

(iv) Not even bothered to inform you what had happened.

Essentially, it is disgraceful behaviour.

Who have you spoken to so far - was it the gym manager, or just the person behind the desk?

Cheers,

Nigel

lukeyy

Banned
They owe you. I'd be pursuing this until I got my money for a new lock. You can write, but I think it's far better to speak to someone. Ask to see the manager. What is your position legally? Is this a case of criminal damage?

Tried that mate and they just told me bluntly that they are not willing too. Im not too sure what you mean by legally?

lukeyy

Banned
Payment at the very least.

Out of interest, you said that some of your belongings had been left in the locker and some taken to the desk.

Did that make sense. I can only assume that they took the valuables to the desk.

But regardless of that they have

(i) Knowingly damaged your property and are refusing to compensate you

(ii) Disregarded your privacy and have (and allowed another member of the public) rooted through your personal pocessions.

(iii) Left your pocessions in an insecure state.

(iv) Not even bothered to inform you what had happened.

Essentially, it is disgraceful behaviour.

Who have you spoken to so far - was it the gym manager, or just the person behind the desk?

Cheers,

Nigel

Should of made that a bit clearer sorry. With regards to items left in my locker they left my car keys and my wallet in there (Inside my jacket pocket) It was just as if theyd grabbed a handful of stuff, binbagged it and left the rest. The other two valuables that they did actually leave at front desk was my mobile and Ipod, probably because they where on the top of my stuff I last put in the locker.

The manager to be honest was probably the least helpful telling me they are not willing to replace the lock or take any further action when the girl on the front desk told me on Sunday they would have to replace my lock.

Ill post a copy of the letter ive posted out to them today.

Last edited:

lukeyy

Banned
02/10/2009

RE: **********, *********, ************.

I am writing to complain about an incident that occurred in the above mentioned club on 27/09/2009. I am also going to add that collectively I have been a member of this gym for 3 years (Two separate periods)
I finished my workout on Sunday to return to my locker with no lock on. Shock and panic was my first thoughts as I thought I had been robbed. Half of my belongings were missing. A cleaner then came over to me and said I quote “It's ok, I cut it off” After asking him why he said somebody told him that they had left something in there previous to me using the locker. Out of half my kit that had been bin-bagged and left at reception CAR KEYS & a WALLET where left in the locker unattended with no lock or security whatsoever. It was as if the cleaner had just grabbed a handful of my items and bagged what he could be bothered to and I was relieved to see that my watch was actually amongst those items.

1. What right do you have to just cut my lock off, leave half of my kit and valuables in their unattended which could have easily lead to my car and wallet being stolen on the basis of somebody's word that they had left something in there previously and without coming to tell me this had been done! I found out when I returned to my locker.
2. I invested in an expensive lock the week previous for security, this person could have easily seen the expensive lock and made up the story of having left something in the locker to take something of mine and say it was theirs.
3. I have been given no explanation as to what was actually left in the locker if anything.
4. I did confront staff about this on the day and was told that if I brought my receipt in they would replace the lock and this was all they are going to do about it.
5. Yesterday my brother took the receipt in; apparently the area manager was in at the time and dealt with the complaint. My brother was told that the lock would not be replaced and I could have one of your locks instead which my brother brought home for me.
6. I took it back and refuse to accept this as your locks are in my eyes are nowhere near as safe as the one I had and costs nowhere near as much.
Your company has been bang out of order here and I don't think you have the right to just cut my lock off in the first place because somebody said they left something in their without coming to find me first.
What are you going to do about it so that this does not happen again to somebody else and at the very very least am I going to be compensated for my ORIGINAL lock?
Luke P*********

Last edited by a moderator:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Ahh I wouldnt know to be honest, do you think it would be or anyone else?

Personally, I'd let management worry about this possibility, and if they don't give you satisfactory compensation, perhaps it's something you could follow up with.

7ofnine

Prominent Member
Ahh I wouldnt know to be honest, do you think it would be or anyone else?

I'd ask them to point out where in your membership contract it gives them the right to damage your personal property. If they can't, then threaten legal action to claim your money back.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Sounds very wrong to me. Have you read the T&Cs of locker hire? Is there a 'we reserve the right to enter your locker at any time using, any means necessary, if we want to' type clause?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
02/10/2009

RE: **********, *********, ************.

I am writing to complain about an incident that occurred in the above...

You might want to add that you've cancelled your subscription because of the incident, perhaps they'll offer you a free 12 month subscription to win you back.

IronGiant

I've deleted your surname from the bottom of the letter, just in case you didn't want it on show...

I'm willing to replace it with the original one or one of equal value and will even add a couple of letters by way of recompense :)

Seriously though, I think it's a disgrace what they did.

Dave

lukeyy

Banned
I've deleted your surname from the bottom of the letter, just in case you didn't want it on show...

I'm willing to replace it with the original one or one of equal value and will even add a couple of letters by way of recompense :)

Seriously though, I think it's a disgrace what they did.

Dave

Never noticed I had left it on cheers Dave.

Shady

Established Member
...just a quick question - was there anything ele in the locker from this 'mystery person' ? Did they find what they were looking for or did you notice anything in their before you put your gear in ? Did the cleaner confirm that they had taken what they believed they had left ?

Just interested as we haven't covered this bit yet.

lukeyy

Banned
...just a quick question - was there anything ele in the locker from this 'mystery person' ? Did they find what they were looking for or did you notice anything in their before you put your gear in ? Did the cleaner confirm that they had taken what they believed they had left ?

Just interested as we haven't covered this bit yet.

No I never noticed anything in there mate which Is why I am this angry, I wouldnt of put my stuff in it otherwise! But I could be wrong. I did ask the cleaner what was in there this person took and he said "I dont know he just left something in the bottom" Doesnt help him being Polish and cant really speak much English (I dont have anything against Polish people)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Sounds very wrong to me. Have you read the T&Cs of locker hire? Is there a 'we reserve the right to enter your locker at any time using, any means necessary, if we want to' type clause?

Even if there was, they would have to have good cause e.g.

(i) Led to beleive that something harmful was in there

(ii) Had been apparently abandoned - lock in place for several days or weeks without any sign of use

Just doing it on the say so of another customer would not be good enough. Especially as it would have been easier for them to come into the gym and ask you to come to the locker.

Cheers,

Nigel

Dextur

Distinguished Member
I think you have a number of issues.

Vandalism. Cutting your lock is not acceptable short of a bomb scare etc, or some situation in which they couldn't contact you first. I would have been furious had I come back to that situation, utterly unacceptable.

There is zero doubt they obviously owe you for a new lock, it's bizare they are even making a big deal about replacing it, that should be the least they do and with a big apology.

You also have the issue they made no attempt to contact you first and they left your valuables unprotected and that it appears you have not even had an apology.

I don't think your out of line being annoyed at this and the attitude of the gym seems appalling.

I'm glad my gym is poshville, with keycode lockers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom