Advice needed! Yamaha RX-V375 issue?

Swedgehog

Novice Member
Hi, I’ve had the Yamaha RX-V375 for a fair while, just running Gale gold monitors as front L+R and a matching Gale centre. Ive just upgraded to a Sony KD49 XH8196, and so 4K etc. The Yamaha seems to be struggling - initially I was having to switch source back and forth for it to recognise and process different sound standards, but now it’s giving me nothing apart from on PCM (so I lose the Centre). HDMI in the ARC from TV to AVR. I’ve tried changing the cable etc. Any ideas? Seems a shame to be considering replacing the AVR, but maybe it’s just a bit outdated now??

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the issue relates to the TV and its digital audio output configuration. You need to set this to an option that equates to BITSTREAM as opposed to having it set to PCM. The PCM option on a TV will result in all audio being downmixed to just 2 channel PCM. Also note that your AV receiver is only ARC enabled and not eARC compliant. THis means that you are limited to SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital, DTS and DD+ encoded audio or PCM data that consists of no more than 2 channels. THis shouldn't however be a problem because the streaming apps and associated services don't use HD audio formats and you will be able to output the formats they use using conventional ARC.

unoduo

Might want to check if your tv has setting for toggling between Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+ output. You could try that too.

It’s mentioned at the bottom of the page in this Sony help guide for your tv:

Last edited:

Swedgehog

Novice Member
I'd suggest the issue relates to the TV and its digital audio output configuration. You need to set this to an option that equates to BITSTREAM as opposed to having it set to PCM. The PCM option on a TV will result in all audio being downmixed to just 2 channel PCM. Also note that your AV receiver is only ARC enabled and not eARC compliant. THis means that you are limited to SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital, DTS and DD+ encoded audio or PCM data that consists of no more than 2 channels. THis shouldn't however be a problem because the streaming apps and associated services don't use HD audio formats and you will be able to output the formats they use using conventional ARC.
Thanks for the reply. Initially I was getting sound in DD+ on the non-PCM setting from the TV - although I was having to switch to a different input and back on the AVR, as if it needed nudging to respond. However last night, for no apparent reason that just stopped. Now it’s as if the AVR is totally ignoring any input from the TV, except if I switch it down to PCR.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Double check that ARC and HDMI Control are still enabled onboard both the TV and the AV receiver. Sony call their implimention of HDMI CEC (Control) Bravia Sync.

If these settings are as they should be then yes, you could try a different HDMI cable between the TV and the AV receiver. I've found Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables to be both affordable and reliable.

If you alter any of the HDMI related configurations then it would be advisable to power both the TV and the AVR down into standby and to then power them up again. This helps the devices renegotiate an HDMI handshake that is more likely to take the changes made into consideration.

Unltimartely, it has to be said that ARC hasn't the best reputation and many people have persistent issues with it. Sony TVs don't have the best reputation for ARC reliability either. If you cannot get it working as you'd expect it to then you may be better off not relying upon it and using an optical xonnection from the TV to your AVR as opposed to using ARC?

Swedgehog

Novice Member
Yep - arc can be be an issue on Sony TVs. You need to make sure your AVR appears in the Bravia Sync device list.

It does, and I’m getting sound when it’s output in 2 channel (eg the tv menu sounds and SD broadcast), but as soon as I go to anything that should be decoding the centre too, it just cuts

unoduo

There’s an old post on avforums from 2017 which describes this same issue. The poster had found a temporary workaround of switching the AVR to another input & then back to TV audio when playing 5.1 content via arc.

Swedgehog

Novice Member
There’s an old post on avforums from 2017 which describes this same issue. The poster had found a temporary workaround of switching the AVR to another input & then back to TV audio when playing 5.1 content via arc.

Thank you - I missed this. Seems to be a common problem with this AVR then. The input switching worked for a week, but now even that isn’t helping. Frustrating!

John

It sounds similar to an issue I used to have with my 683 and maybe the pioneer before that, but I used to get nothing from ARC without all sorts of messing around . That was solved by turning off deep sleep on my Youview box. Do you have anything else connected to the amp ?

Swedgehog

Novice Member
It sounds similar to an issue I used to have with my 683 and maybe the pioneer before that, but I used to get nothing from ARC without all sorts of messing around . That was solved by turning off deep sleep on my Youview box. Do you have anything else connected to the amp ?
I didn’t, but I connected a blu ray to it earlier and that worked fine.

chrissyman

I know it's easier said than done but I recommend looking at a new up to date AVR.
I've recently gone from an rxv 1700 to the rxv 685.
Did the firmware update and now have eARC with my Samsung TU8500 50inch and it works brilliantly together.
I have the Samsung digital output set to auto with pass through and Dolby atmos.
The receiver sees everything from the Samsung as pcm multi channel or stereo depending on content.
It briefly displays DDTHD then go's to pcm multi channel.
With dolby atmos it says DD atmos/pcm.
And it all works perfectly and sounds great.
Switches on and off with perfect sync, I love it.

Swedgehog

Novice Member
I know it's easier said than done but I recommend looking at a new up to date AVR.
I've recently gone from an rxv 1700 to the rxv 685.
Did the firmware update and now have eARC with my Samsung TU8500 50inch and it works brilliantly together.
I have the Samsung digital output set to auto with pass through and Dolby atmos.
The receiver sees everything from the Samsung as pcm multi channel or stereo depending on content.
It briefly displays DDTHD then go's to pcm multi channel.
With dolby atmos it says DD atmos/pcm.
And it all works perfectly and sounds great.
Switches on and off with perfect sync, I love it.
To be honest I think this is going to have to be the answer. It’s point blank refusing to recognise anything but PCM now, and taking a backward step with the new TV is just silly. Next month’s purchase I guess!

Swedgehog

Novice Member
Update - the AVR has decided today that it understands all formats perfectly well (I changed absolutely nothing to bring this on). Who knows how long it’ll last, but I’m going with it for now!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom