1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!! Advice needed !! - which speakers for Denon 3802 ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rob j, Aug 10, 2002.

1. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi everyone

I have decided to get a Denon 3802 receiver as part of a new home cinema system but am having problems with which speakers to buy. After reading loads of reviews, I narrowed it down to these:

B&W 600 series 3 rrp £800

Misson FS2-AV can get for about £400

M&K K7 series rrp £1150

Tannoy MXAV4 can get for about £400

I am finding it hard to decide as I am not sure which speakers would be best with a Denon 3802. I have been wondering about power handling – for instance, would the Mission FS2 speakers be suitable as this is a powerful Amp? Or what about the M&K speakers?

If I can, I want to be able to purchase my speakers online to save me a fair amount of money on the standard high street prices, because my budget is only about £600 or maybe £700 at a stretch, so I want the best speakers I can get for my money. Which speakers sound the best?

Is it possible to be able to buy B&W or M&K speakers online from cheaper E-stores like unbeatable.co.uk for example? As I’ve looked very hard on the internet to no avail.

I’m a novice to home cinema but am keen to get my hands dirty so I would greatly appreciate any help and advice people can give me!

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    With speakers more than anything, you should at least demo them in at a dealers premises prior to deciding what to get. Its the only way to be sure. Now that’s out of the way...

Both M&K and B&W don't allow online trading, so you're stumped there. That is unless you buy secondhand, of course.

What size room will the speakers be in? This will have a significant bearing on the kind of speakers you should be looking at. For example, if the room is small, then the KEF 2005, or Ruark Vita "SubSat" speaker systems would be a good choices. The mission speakers can be driven by the Denon, but are "out of step" with the quality of the amp. A better match would be the Tannoy speakers, should you like their sound. I haven't heard the M&K K7 series, but M&K have an enviable reputation for quality, as do B&W.
    If it was my money, and I had up to £700 to spend, I would get 2 pairs of KEF Q1's and a Q9c centre. If the dealer is willing to offer a discount for the package, you may be able to get a pair of Q3's for the fronts, or save some money towards a sub in the future.

Russell

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I would urge you to audition Tannoy Revolution 'R3s'. Through a 'turn of fate' :mad: i ended up with R2's and for what i paid for them,i'm delighted,but the R3 was the better speaker.

4. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    hmm - thanks russraff - those Kef Q1's seem quite tempting now looking at them, but what is the difference between the Kef Q1's and the Kef Q3's other than that the latter is a floorstanding speaker? Looking at the spec, they're pretty much identical - but do the Q3's sound better?

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I can't say for sure about the Q3, but I can for the previous generation of speaker: the Q35. Internally there is a diagonal brace running for some way down the cabinet. This effectivly makes the cabinet a none rectangular box. The advantage of this is the Q35 sounds more natural and less "boxy". I have no reason to believe that KEF would change this attitude with the newer generation.
    In answer to your question: The drive units are identical, yes, but the cabinet has been optimised for its larger size. The Q3 will have more bass, but it won't be a booming bass monster. Also bear in mind that the Q1's will require stands, which the Q3's don't. I would, if possible go for the Q3.

Russell

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Read the "Best Speaker Under £250" thread here for further opinions regarding Q1 vs Q3, in particular see Nic and Uncle. :cool: