Advice Needed: VCR Over-riding DVD Recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spinaltap, Dec 26, 2006.

1. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I have a problem with my recently purchased Panasonic VCR over-riding recordings set with my Panasonic DVD recorder. Full-pin scarts are used throughout.

This is how they are linked. As per the Panasonic instructions, one scart from the sky digibox is directly fed to AV1 on my Panasonic 37PX600. The second scart on the sky digibox goes to the one scart on the VCR, while the second VCR scart goes to the one scart on the DVD recorder. The second scart on the DVD recorder then feeds into AV3 on the plasma. The RF lead feeds from digibox to VCR to DVD to Plasma. HDMI also links the Plasma to the DVD recorder.

Now, if I set the VCR to record an analogue programme on BBC1, say, between 9.00 and 10.00 - and set the DVD recorder to record something on sky or freeview between 9.30 and 10.30, for example; while the VCR programme will record as expected (and the DVD recorder comes on and finishes at the correct time) when I playback the DVD (hard-drive), from 9.30 onwards it will have recorded the BBC1 analogue programme instead (!).

Alternatively, if I set the DVD recorder to record sky/freeview between, say, 9.00 and 10.00, and the VCR to record BBC1 analogue between 9.30 and 10.30 - even though the DVD recorder started first - somehow, the DVD will record the same programme as the VCR from 9.30 (!).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this annoying problem?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    What model of DVDR do you have?

3. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Ex85.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,061
    Your RF arrangement is fine but you need to reconfigure your scarts and use the feedthrough capability of the EX85.

Instead of the skybox going direct to the plasma, the Skybox's TV output [The better of its two outputs ] should go via the DVDR and then to the DVDR.

So:

Skybox TV scart to AV2 [ Bottom scart ] of EX85

AV1 [Top] of EX85 to TV AV1 [ albeit as you are using HDMI this connection is only used for data functions ]

Skybox VCR output to VCR input scart.

VCR output scart to TV AV3.

You will need to change some settings.

See post number 3 of this thread linked here for some additional notes:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418727

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Gavtech,

Thanks: I'll give it a try when the family are out of the way (you would think that Panasonic would have illustrated this alternative way of 'wiring together' an external satellite receiver, vcr, dvdr and plasma).