Answered Advice Needed:Time to upgrade from my Plasma?

You can get the Panny for 1249 now for that little difference I myself am tempted to go with it over the LG

All the content is HDR10, even the dolby vision content.

Dolby Vision is equivalent to HDR10+ and offers a slight boost in picture quality be it from either format.

If you are looking for particular services and or movies you can look at which companies support which format going forward. For example.

If you watch lots of Amazon prime or intend too or you know you like movies from a studio that supports HDR10+ on UHD Blu-Ray then it makes more sense to go for the Panasonic.

But if you watch lots of Netflix or intend too, or you plan on using a new Apple TV plus you plan to watch movies (UHD Blu-Rays) with films from studios that support dolby vision, then you should opt for the LG.

If you happen to be in a position where you watch a HDR10+ movie on the LG you will still get HDR just non-dynamic. Same goes for the other way round, if you try and watch dolby vision content on a TV with only HDR10+ then you still get the normal HDR10 non dynamic picture.

If you happen to be in a position where you watch a HDR10+ movie on the LG you will still get HDR just non-dynamic. Same goes for the other way round, if you try and watch dolby vision content on a TV with only HDR10+ then you still get the normal HDR10 non dynamic picture.

Again, many thanks for this Dodge...much appreciated. Think the Panasonic is the obvious choice.

Nudge.... what an interesting debate. I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP, and have a strong mind to demote my plasma to the spare room and invest in a OLED. My budget however, I'm happy to stump up 1500 quid, as that's not much more than what I paid for my plasma many years ago, plus inflation.

I've had my eye on OLED for a number of years now - albeit a peripheral eye, waiting for prices to become more appetising to me. Now seems the time, and I'm really fed up with the LCD screen in the spare room, when I get nerfed out the main living room.

It's the age old problem of you need to see them in the flesh and you need a proper set-up to make fair comparison - open stores like JL and Curry's are just unfair, I know that. But wherever I saw a Panasonic OLED a few years ago, they all looked terrible. Until a year ago, I saw a Sony and Panny and an LG, and have to say the Sony blew me away and the Panny didn't disappoint me. I think I need a proper viewing at a decent TV shop.

So the tech...

Seems like it's all up in the air - is this still a fair comment, or have things begun to settle and find their place? My viewing is a bit like the OP: mostly films, although some sport and motion blur is a massive issue to me and hence love my plasma.

I see Samsung are doing 8K TV's. I see mention that 12bit is coming too. So does this make all the current stuff in this thread so far a waste of time, as I'd like another 10 years out of my investment? Will tech move on that fast; or will broadcasters be really slow in the pick up?

I was also slightly bothered about this Dolby Vision vs HDR10+, but I'm assuming it's a tiny subtle difference over HDR - be nice to see that difference. An additional concern with the FZ802 being HDR10+ only, is that I see Panny's next range (GZ) are sitting on the fence by giving both DV and HDR10+... so does this mean Panny are likely to stop supporting updates to HDR10+ if it loses the battle? I see that they mention the older EZ range only does HDR10, but updates will give those owners 10+. Nice. Be nice if today's models got the same support if things change. Any recent news on the DV vs HDR10+ battle would be very welcome, if any?

Yes I am swaying towards a Panny until I see a proper demo. I've always preferred the warmer picture over the cool Sony. I also buy into the idea of the processing & firmware being key - I once bought a Sony 32" out of desperation to replace a dead TV in the spare room and was horrified by its motion blur, even though it was the best Sony sold in that size. The kind TV shop showed me a test of Sony models (in a big size) with varying specs - he said they all used the same screen, but different firmware and so processed the image differently - I didn't argue and gave the Sony back and bought an old Panny 2nd-hand with higher spec.

My dislikes in a TV starting with most important: motion blur; soap opera effect; jet black shadows. Beyond these I can't think of other issues, as I'd consider banding etc. as defects. Image retention doesn't bother me and I've never suffered from burn, and don't expect my viewing habits to induce it.

Also - the feed. I have box standard old Sky HD, and a Blu-ray player. I make use of the Sky on demand and have unlimited fibre broadband, but I do not subscribe to any of the other services like Netflix etc. What would best support my HDR OLED viewing experience?

I've been patient this long. But I'm also of the mind that things move on all the time, and you're best off just buying whatever you can afford today. I've probably been really lucky that after buying my plasma, I had zero interest in what followed - with curved screens, 3D, 4K on LCD etc. So I'm pleased OLED is here, but not sure how quickly things will move on, or maybe OLED is such a step up that these other matters are tiny.

I'd be very interested in hearing peoples feedback on their recent OLED purchases.

Thanks

Last edited:
I see Samsung are doing 8K TV's. I see mention that 12bit is coming too. So does this make all the current stuff in this thread so far a waste of time, as I'd like another 10 years out of my investment?
Not at all, more bits only means a smoother transition from one colour to the next, ever seen any colour banding on your current TV? Chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference between 8 and 12bit. If you are talking colour reproduction well that for HDR is still in its infancy and there is a lot ground to be made in the rec2020 HDR colourspace. SDR content though like your regular TV and even cheap TVs can sometimes cover 99% of it.
Will tech move on that fast; or will broadcasters be really slow in the pick up?
Broadcasting is awfully slow at picking up, apart from the odd HDR trial on the iPlayer using broadcast TV on a new UHD model is not great experience at all. Its bad quality (even HD) and shows its worse when having to be upscaled. Sky Q is going to introduce HDR this year so I'm told, but probably content will still be sparse.
Also - the feed. I have box standard old Sky HD, and a Blu-ray player. I make use of the Sky on demand and have unlimited fibre broadband, but I do not subscribe to any of the other services like Netflix etc. What would best support my HDR OLED viewing experience?
Simply put I think you need to look into changing your viewing habits to get the most from a new TV. These TVs shine with good quality content. Things like HDR on UHD Blu-Rays are really impressive, Netflix/Amazon or Apple TV in UHD and HDR looks great too, as does regular blu-ray and HDR games consoles.

Once you are talking regular broadcast TV though, especially if its HD or less, it looks poor by comparison. I would certainly make sure you demo some regular TV on an UHD model before you buy one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom