Advice needed....thoughts and opinions

Rickman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

As a regular gamer on Xbox 360 I have been debating to change my ISP. I'm currently with Sky who provide me with a poor 4mb connection D/L and 0.5mb upload. I mainly play Gears of War 2 and am finding my connection to be so poor when I come up against other gamers who claim to have 30, 40, 50 mb connections etc. So my questions are.....is it really worth changing to another provider? and does a high upload speed make a significant difference when gaming? Ping etc?

If the answers are to change provider. Are BT Infinity a safe option as its mainly for gaming I will be changing for, I don't download or stream much, just gaming. Virgin Media are not in my area so that rules them out. Or would I be best to wait til Sky launch their Fibre optic Broadband? Surely BT would be a better option than Sky though.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Rickman:)

When I used to have ADSL I would get 40-50 ping on a uk server, Now I get 10-15 ping and of course the download and upload speed is excellent. I would recommend BT infinity any day of the week.

1838463503.png

Wireless not wired ;)

37.5Mb DL and 8Mb UP on the pc downstairs wired :D

if you are on 4/0.5 with Sky, then either move to Virgin Cable or BT Infnity, any other provider will give you roughly what Sky are....

yes, do the change, it makes a decent difference :)

Id wait a few weeks and see if sky can offer you a loyalty discount on the fibre product they are selling.

Or would I be best to wait til Sky launch their Fibre optic Broadband? Surely BT would be a better option than Sky though.

As far as I'm aware (and from looking on the Sky website) Sky will be using the FTTC network provided by Openreach, which is what BT also use. Therefore effectively both Sky and BT will be using the same lines. Therefore whether to choose Sky or BT would all come down to personal opinion, cost etc. :thumbsup:

And I did the same as you, switched from normal Sky to BT Infinity. And yes it did make a difference!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom