1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed - Sony receiver suitable for my new set-up?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Evil Ed, Sep 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I'm really struggling to decide what DVD/Receiver combo to go with for my new set-up. Please help!

I've decided I want a TH42PWD6 plasma monitor, and Kef Q series for speakers (not the AV7 package though, probably Q7, Q1, Q9C and PSW2500 due to lack of wall mounting options).

However, I'm looking at a Sony STR-DB795 as a receiver, and a Sony DVP-NS930 as a matching DVD/CD player. They seem very good value, and the receiver has had great reviews, but will this do my Kef Q series speakers justice? Or am I undermining my system? I just don't want to feel like I've bought a BMW and fitted it with hub caps, if u catch my drift.

Anyways, opinions and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

-Ed

2. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    read my post basically - in this part of the forum entitled "Headphone VS Reciever"

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    With that sort of kit you should be looking at around the Denon 2805 level, at least.

4. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks a lot for the advice guys - you've convinced me I would be putting hubs on my BMW so I'm now looking at more expensive alternatives :suicide:

I gather that the Denon 3805 is quite popular. I quite fancy a black one, is anyone able to tell me if the remote control comes in black too if you order the black version? A minor point, I know ;)

I'm also looking at the Harman Kardon DPR2005 - I figure a digital amp might be quite appropriate since all my audio sources are outputting as optical/coaxial digital. However, is anyone able to tell me if this amp does video up-conversion to component RGB? Quite a crucial feature for me!

So would the above 2 amps do justice to my Kef Q series set-up??

Thanks again in advance

-Ed