1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed - Sanyo Su10B vs new PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dodgey, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all, I have the use of a Sanyo PLC-SU10B, also known as a Sanyo Multimedia proX-III. I am projecting onto a 9 foot wide screen (made from a bedsheet!). I am thoroughly happy with the picture (no complaints at all, it is huge and stunning). I don't know any of the specs of the projector (i have searched the web) other than it is SVGA, 4:3 (although I activate the Widescreen mode).

I'm now looking at buying my own projector and wondered if anyone knows how something like the Sony HS1 or similar compares.

My only requirements are a) that the image is at least as good as the Sanyo. b) it is not too noisy (the Sanyo makes quite a racket, although you soon forget about it) c) That's it.

My problem is that I don't really know the Sanyo's specs so I don't know how to compare with the current market. I must stress that with the sanyo, I see no screen-door, hot spots, anything bad at all. I love it, but I'm sure that when I buy a newer similarly priced pj (£2000 ish) it will be better again.

Oh yes, throw distance will be a factor too, as I love the 9ft wide image and want to keep it that way. I currently have the Sanyo 18 ft from the screen and use about half of the zoom function to fill the screen.

In case you are wondering why I want to but my own PJ it is because I can't be bothered to keep lugging it to and from work and setting the image up square each time, plus I have the impression that a 1999 £2500 PJ can prob easily be bettered by a £2000 2001 PJ?!
  2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Jul 14, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The old Sanyos weren't bad, but there were designed as business presentation projectors first and foremost. When Sanyo released their first dedicated home cinema projector, the PLV30, the video quality took a huge leap forward.

Now we have a wide choice of home cinema projectors, many can be bought for less than £2000. The Sanyo still holds up well (good blacks for LCD, progressive scan etc), and there are now good alternatives too - Sony, Hitachi, Philips, Panasonic and more. Just do a search through this forum and you'll quickly spot the usual suspects. Most are far more quiet, too.

As regards screen door/pixels, I think your bedsheet screen is helping here. It will soften the focus and hide this effect. If you don't plan to change for a better quality screen, then screen door shouldn't be an issue. However, some projectors suffer less than others. It has been said by others in this forum that the Philips Monroe is particularly good in this respect.

Throw distances vary between different manufacturers. You'll need to check that each projector candidate individually. A good dealer can help in this respect, they should know the throw ratios for each of the machines they sell.

Keep reading these forums, but above all you should go look at some projectors and judge for yourself.

Good luck