Advice needed, replacing my Velodyne DD18+ with what ????

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I was going to ask if you have two but I just spotted your sig list. Whats the size of your room ? I think it’s much bigger than mine.

I'm not actually sure... about 15ftx16ft, with a 6ft deep bay window on the left (west) side.

barnitto

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
It was in my head when I typed it.

Anyway.... a Sub1 would definitely be a better choice than the DD18. In terms of aesthetics, it's room correction, power and all it's stuff made in house, it has the edge imo. There is a review of it on this site, back when it had a sensible price.

People don't seem to understand that a sub and your speakers are at the mercy of your room correction system. Yes, some speakers by default will sound better that others without any room correction - this has been demonstrated to me many times recording source live and in studio, you'd have to be deaf not to notice.

However, if you take 4 or 5 similar spec subs it will become much less about the measurements and more about the bass integration. You can take your DIY/whatever sub out into a field and measure it all you like but it's a rough guide. Real world application comes from positioning and room correction.

When your bass is bad your dialogue channel will suffer and since that's about 90% of most movies the 10% of boom bang bosh and pans sound unnatural.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
It was in my head when I typed it.

Anyway.... a Sub1 would definitely be a better choice than the DD18. In terms of aesthetics, it's room correction, power and all it's stuff made in house, it has the edge imo. There is a review of it on this site, back when it had a sensible price.

People don't seem to understand that a sub and your speakers are at the mercy of your room correction system. Yes, some speakers by default will sound better that others without any room correction - this has been demonstrated to me many times recording source live and in studio, you'd have to be deaf not to notice.

However, if you take 4 or 5 similar spec subs it will become much less about the measurements and more about the bass integration. You can take your DIY/whatever sub out into a field and measure it all you like but it's a rough guide. Real world application comes from positioning and room correction.

When your bass is bad your dialogue channel will suffer and since that's about 90% of most movies the 10% of boom bang bosh and pans sound unnatural.

Steve aka the "Guru"has just sent me back version 1 of my ARC file with his magic pixie dust sprinkled on top and all I can say is WOW.

I wasn't expecting the Sub 1 to sound this good, very punchy, loads of mid bass slam just as I like it, to say I'm impressed so far is an understatement and it's only going to get better.

The sound is very different to that of my DD18+, I'm not sure which one I like best yet, its far to soon for that, but all I will say is the Sub 1 for it's size is one hell of a sub.

Lots of critical listening to come over the next few days and feeding back to Steve who can then make his magical tweaks.

So far I'm very glad I didn't just wait for the DD18+ to be repaired, it's too boring being without a sub lol.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
It's a sub that, imo priced itself out of the market. Paradigm grew in strength as a company and started to lean more into the HiFi end of things around the time of the Prestige series. They where always on the pricey side and this can be seen very clear in the Persona range.

They are a top end speaker. The Sub25 if you ever see one is an absolute weapon - it's a huge 15'' with a version of a sub 2 amp on board. Probably the best single 15 out there I reckon.

KWB1

It's a sub that, imo priced itself out of the market. Paradigm grew in strength as a company and started to lean more into the HiFi end of things around the time of the Prestige series. They where always on the pricey side and this can be seen very clear in the Persona range.

They are a top end speaker. The Sub25 if you ever see one is an absolute weapon - it's a huge 15'' with a version of a sub 2 amp on board. Probably the best single 15 out there I reckon.

Side by side I actually preferred the ‘meatier’ sounding Fathom F113

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Side by side I actually preferred the ‘meatier’ sounding Fathom F113

The F113 is a good sub but it won't go as low or as loud, but they do make good subs, but again at big money.

KWB1

The F113 is a good sub but it won't go as low or as loud, but they do make good subs, but again at big money.
Yes single v2 Fathom is £4600 - ouch

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I’m enjoying the Sub 1, not sure what I’m going to do tbh.

Good problem to have really

I preferred the sub1 to the sub 25 and the JL f113 in my room.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I’d like to try a Sub 25 in my room as well if the chance prevents itself

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A Sub25 will be very difficult to find.
My vote would be for the Sub1. It’s very special.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
A Sub25 will be very difficult to find.
My vote would be for the Sub1. It’s very special.

I don't think I'm likely to find one but then again I didn't think I would find a Sub 1 so who knows, I do really like the Sub 1 but I think I do just prefer the DD18+ but it’s very close, the performance of the Sub 1 is amazing given it's small footprint.

They do both sound very different, Steve aka the "Guru" set them both up to make sure it’s fair comparison.

There is more midrange bass/punch from the Sub 1 but I’m missing a little bit of tactile response compared to the DD.

It's a good problem to have though deciding which one to keep a my mind does seem to change depending on what I'm watching.

KWB1

I don't think I'm likely to find one but then again I didn't think I would find a Sub 1 so who knows, I do really like the Sub 1 but I think I do just prefer the DD18+ but it’s very close, the performance of the Sub 1 is amazing given it's small footprint.

They do both sound very different, Steve aka the "Guru" set them both up to make sure it’s fair comparison.

There is more midrange bass/punch from the Sub 1 but I’m missing a little bit of tactile response compared to the DD.

It's a good problem to have though deciding which one to keep a my mind does seem to change depending on what I'm watching.
Is the DD fixed now with a new driver ?

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Is the DD fixed now with a new driver ?

No, not yet, the driver should arrive at Redline one day this week.

I only really got the sub 1 because I was missing my bass and now I’m enjoying it.

KWB1

No, not yet, the driver should arrive at Redline one day this week.

I only really got the sub 1 because I was missing my bass and now I’m enjoying it.
Oh I presumed you had them running side by side - I wouldn’t count out that DD18+ Especially a brand new driver 😦

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Oh I presumed you had them running side by side - I wouldn’t count out that DD18+ Especially a brand new driver 😦

If I had the room I’d keep them both but I just can’t accommodate 2 subs without loosing a seating position.

I think I will probably keep the DD18+ and sell on the Sub 1

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Update, the DD18+ has its new driver and is back in the system, different animal altogether compared to the Sub 1.

So far I'm leaning towards keeping the DD and selling the sub 1

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Now imagine a second optimally placed DD! ;)

I could get one at a really great price as well, however I would loose a valuable seating position in my room so can’t see it ever happening

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Touché!

Well the wife is house shopping on our behalf, with a dedicated room or out-house for HT on her must-have list. Who am I to tell a Woman what to do? :D

KWB1

To fit my PB3000 I took the one arm off my L shaped sofa and gained an extra 15 inches of Room - using novice upholstery skills you would not Know I did it - the Mrs still hasn’t noticed - things you can get away with in a Man Cave down the garden 😂

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
To fit my PB3000 I took the one arm off my L shaped sofa and gained an extra 15 inches of Room - using novice upholstery skills you would not Know I did it - the Mrs still hasn’t noticed - things you can get away with in a Man Cave down the garden 😂

I know what you're thinking, and I did ask, poll dancers are a strict no no. Unless she gets to watch Eastenders on the HT system. No chance I said!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp