Advice needed, replacing my Velodyne DD18+ with what ????

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice needed please, some of you may be aware but for those that are not I've been having problems with the DD18+ and once it's been repaired by Redline (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) I'm planning on selling it, or if I'm feeling really generous giving it to my son if he covers the cost of the repair.

I only have room for one sub as I don't have a dedicated room but have considered stacking a pair of smaller subs (see pic at bottom)

My room is fairly small, around 3m X 4.5m with the sub located in the front right corner alcove, ideally the sub needs to be no wider than 24 inches.

The sub would be used solely for home cinema with a preference for sealed over ported, I'm not massively interested in ULF bass and prefer punchy mid and upper bass slam but if I can have both thats fine.

Warranty and aftercare service is also very important to me, Redline has been excellent in this area.

I have a budget of 6-7k, looks are also important to me.

The subs I'm interested in are below in no particular order, I'd love to hear from any owners of these subs as well as suggestions on anything I've missed.

Funk Audio 18.0LX
JTR RS1 and RS2
Rythmik F18 x 2 stacked
Rythmik FV18
Rythmik G25HP
PSA 1812 x 2 stacked
PSA V3612
PSA TV1812
PSA S3012
Paradigm Sub 1
Paradigm Persona
JL F2112
Arendal 2s x 2 stacked
REL 212/SX
REL HT/1508 Predator x 3 stacked

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks Andy

IMG_2290.JPG

Last edited:
You know what buddy 😉😎 just don't see it on your list hehe

From the list I would go :
1. Funk
2. Rhytmik G25

But I would add there JTR and put it on par with Funk, but you won't beat the looks of Funk though, maybe jtr do custom finishes but you would need to get in touch with them.

You know what buddy 😉😎 just don't see it on your list hehe

From the list I would go :
1. Funk
2. Rhytmik G25

But I would add there JTR and put it on par with Funk, but you won't beat the looks of Funk though, maybe jtr do custom finishes but you would need to get in touch with them.

lol, forgot to put it on there, will edit it as it's defiantly being considered

What sort of volumes do you listen at?

What sort of volumes do you listen at?

I would say around -14db on my Anthem would be the loudest I go in my room, but on average probably around -18db when watching a movie, certainly not reference anyway.

I would say around -14db on my Anthem would be the loudest I go in my room, but on average probably around -18db when watching a movie, certainly not reference anyway.

Ok. The only reason I ask is just around your ideas to stack subs.
As I'm sure you know, stacking only gives you extra output, it doesn't help with the response (well, maybe a bit with height modes, but not significantly like distributed subs would). If you're not listening that loud then maybe you don't need to stack?

You know your room and listening habits best but if it were me it would steer me into the larger single sub and away from stacking multiples.

Oh, and edited to say that if/when you do sell, I'm interested. It'll obviously depend on the outcome with redline, the price:risk ratio, and any family decision you make.

Ok. The only reason I ask is just around your ideas to stack subs.
As I'm sure you know, stacking only gives you extra output, it doesn't help with the response (well, maybe a bit with height modes, but not significantly like distributed subs would). If you're not listening that loud then maybe you don't need to stack?

You know your room and listening habits best but if it were me it would steer me into the larger single sub and away from stacking multiples.

Yeah, I understand what you saying and your right, stacking doesn’t make much sense really.

I just don’t want to make a backwards step from what I currently have is all.

On looks alone a Paradigm Persona Sub/Sub1 is hard to beat. You can also specify the finish colour, driver colour, grill etc.

Have to say if I had the money one (or two) of them in these colours would do me nicely.

Carbon Black Gloss

Screenshot_20210221-111055.jpg

Aria Blue Metallic

Screenshot_20210221-111010.jpg

Won't you miss the claimed benefits of a Servo design? Do others offer similar results through their own technology e.g. JL Audio's Dynamic Motor Analysis? Interested in your thoughts.

On looks alone a Paradigm Persona Sub1 is hard to beat. You can also specify the finish colour, driver colour, grill etc.

I do love the look of the Persona, one to demo for sure, it's at the very top end of my budget though.

Won't you miss the claimed benefits of a Servo design? Do others offer similar results through their own technology e.g. JL Audio's Dynamic Motor Analysis? Interested in your thoughts.

Possibly, I have enjoyed the sound of the Velodyne over the years thats for sure and if I can't find anything that betters it in my room then I will have to keep it.

The Rythmik's are also servo controlled which is what initially got me interested in them.

Yes, they are a budget buster. Would fit nicely where your DD18+ currently is though.

How do you think it would compare to the DD18+ ?

I've just found a mint Sub 1 that may also be perfect, I've just never heard one though

First off there's nothing wrong with the Velodyne, they just don't seem to get the hype they deserve these days, but that's marketing for you.

I have 2x sub 1's they are of course very good. The Persona is a tarted up version of the Sub1 and doesn't perform any better then the old one. There are more custom options with paintwork etc at a cost to the customer.

However, it should be noted that the Sub 1 comes apart very easily and can be sprayed by an auto body shop probably for the price of a car door (£200)

I will likely be firesale-ing both my Sub1's, but they will go as a pair, one is cherry and the other is black. They will likely be replaced with the new purify tech ones from Lyngdorf released this summer.

First off there's nothing wrong with the Velodyne, they just don't seem to get the hype they deserve these days, but that's marketing for you.

I have 2x sub 1's they are of course very good. The Persona is a tarted up version of the Sub1 and doesn't perform any better then the old one. There are more custom options with paintwork etc at a cost to the customer.

However, it should be noted that the Sub 1 comes apart very easily and can be sprayed by an auto body shop probably for the price of a car door (£200)

I will likely be firesale-ing both my Sub1's, but they will go as a pair, one is cherry and the other is black. They will likely be replaced with the new purify tech ones from Lyngdorf released this summer.

Thanks, have you ever heard a DD18+ I'm just wondering if I'd be disappointed moving to a sub 1/Persona

Thanks, have you ever heard a DD18+ I'm just wondering if I'd be disappointed moving to a sub 1/Persona

Yes, but not in a long time. I've heard the DD15 as well. I can't imagine why you'd be disappointed with one of the best high end subs out there?

Bit questionable why to sell that? Looking the now old review done by Data-bass Josh Ricci on Audioholics it was superb by every possible way, huge step up from the old DD range! The measurements were great including high output and very low distortion. First sealed sub to get Extreme room rating. He ended saying:

To wrap up, precision is the word that comes to mind to describe the DD18+. Most other subwoofers I have encountered simply do not seem to have the nth degree of total system optimization that the DD18+ does. If your budget supports it the Velodyne DD+ line is worthy of your consideration and highly recommended.

I'm not considering selling it lightly, and maybe more borne out of frustration rather than anything else.

Since I've owned it from new, it's had a new amp under warranty and now needs a new driver which isn't cheap that I need to pay for.

It could then behave for many years to come, or could continue costing me money, I guess I've lost the love for it I once had.

Last edited:
I moved from a DD15 (non-plus) to a PSA 3000 (so older generation there as well). I didn't miss the servo design and it didn't seem to make much difference in my room, to my ears. It might be fact the dual opposed 15s have double the driver and therefore are moving half as much for the same output?

I also thought I read something a while ago that suggested the servo technology is less relevant now with newer, lighter drivers and more powerful magnets being able to give better control over the stopping and starting anyway.

Must admit I prefer the look of the original Sub1 to it's new counterpart, although can't say I'd complain having either of them. :D

I'm not considering selling it lightly, and maybe more borne out of frustration rather than anything else.

Since I've owned it from new, it's had a new amp under warranty and new needs a new driver which isn't cheap that I need to pay for.

It could then behave for many years to come, or could continue costing me money, I guess I've lost the love for it I once had.

Fair enough, not cheap to own Lamborghini. Still it`s a lot of money for new woofer. Would any of those really sound any better than what you have?! Sure you will get more performance with some of the newer designs *, but you don´t crave ULF and don´t even listen that loud. If you must change to new one then perhaps you could also consider something cheaper which is still suppose to sound superb and there would be enough headroom for your use, so example one Arendal 1723 2S. It actually has more mid-bass output than your DD18+ from 50hz upwards in the "slam" department.

* The F18 has lower distortion and yet more output than Velodyne DD18+ for 1/3 of the price. In addition, the test results also include the impulse response of 18hz high damping which shows minimal ringing, a testament of F18 articulation bass sound.

Fair enough, not cheap to own Lamborghini. Still it`s a lot of money for new woofer. Would any of those really sound any better than what you have?! Sure you will get more performance with some of the newer designs *, but you don´t crave ULF and don´t even listen that loud. If you must change to new one then perhaps you could also consider something cheaper which is still suppose to sound superb and there would be enough headroom for your use, so example one Arendal 1723 2S. It actually has more mid-bass output than your DD18+ from 50hz upwards in the "slam" department.

* The F18 has lower distortion and yet more output than Velodyne DD18+ for 1/3 of the price. In addition, the test results also include the impulse response of 18hz high damping which shows minimal ringing, a testament of F18 articulation bass sound.

Perhaps you are right, the F18 is a solid option, It does perform better down low but not as good above 30hz from what I can remember.

I'm considering the sub 1 if I can get it for the right price and just use it until the DD18+ is repaired and then keep whichever one I prefer.

Perhaps you are right, the F18 is a solid option, It does perform better down low but not as good above 30hz from what I can remember.

I'm considering the sub 1 if I can get it for the right price and just use it until the DD18+ is repaired and then keep whichever one I prefer.

How much for the sub1?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom