advice needed regards to pushing for replacement toshiba

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by wen, Jun 20, 2002.

1. wen

wen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello chaps, i need some urgent advice.

we brought a toshiba 32z17bkit, £999.99, 50hz, pro-logic.

after about 6 weeks we noticed that the picture geometery was out and the old dirty patches on the screen.
    we got intouch with powerhouse who agreed to send an engineer out, he couldn't get into the service menu so said he would have to come back. he did , went in the service menu, went back and forth and said he had done the best he could but agreed it wasn't right - in fact he said he could mess with it for a month but couldn't fix it. he said he would file a report for powerhouse. in the meantime i had spoken to powerhouse and toshiba who both agreed that the engineers report would enable them to swop the set.
    three weeks on and powerhouse get in touch and say that they are sending out an engineer to fix the problem, different man came with a box of tricks but when i showed him the problem he agreed that there was a definate fault and that if toshiba had agreed what was the problem?

he said that he would now get on to their customer services about whether they could either fix it in my home or take it away and fix it.
    he also put a magnetic screw driver against my screen to show me what i had mentioned about the dirty patches and lo and behold there they were, yes he said to that the fault is in the tube and how the mesh is lying behind it.

has anybody got anygood ideas on what we do next?

by the way being a sneaky cow i did record the visit on video camera, more for my own protection but i think he might have been a little suspicious or was that just my guilt?

wen

2. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think I am pretty lucky from empire direct at the moment, after the engineer visited I phone up for a replacement and they immediatly agreed. It has been about 2 weeks since then but thats mainly been due to trying to speak to a specific person who I later found out was in hospital :blush:

I would suggest you keep phoning up and tell them that you have had two engineers say the problem isn't fixable and you want a replacement, if they refuse you can threaten legal action. You might find that you have to keep phoning to get them to replace the set but eventually they have to give the replacement or the refund.

3. wen

wen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update: customer services at the engineers shop phoned me this morning, they have sent there report - again - to powerhouse, recommending a replacement. so powerhouse the balls in your court.
    fingers crossed.

wen

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting series of events there.

The toshiba sets are one of the easiest to sort out when it comes to Geometry. Many Toshiba owners who use this forum or the newsgroups have done their own geometry amendments.

The dirty screen effect is a fairly common on one new sets and goes after about a month of use.

5. wen

wen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we've had the set for about 3 months now, two of them trying to sort out the problems.
    the dirt patches haven't gone infact they get worse at times.

the picture geometery got worse after the engineer called the second time, he totally ruined all other picture set- ups except wide screen, 4:3, super live, cinema and subtiltle are all totally to cock.

the engineer who came last was very embarrassed about they way it had been left, after all they are official toshiba service engineers.

hopefully things will get sorted soon, god knows we need some luck.

thanks for the answers.

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a couple of service engineers work on Toshiba sets and they haven't got a clue what the options are.

They needed to phone up for information and then fudged round the settings.

Your ones obivously didn't realise that the S menu shares the settings with the different zoom modes (4:3 & wide, Cinema & SUbtitle for example). The D mode is the only way to adjust these individually.