1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed regarding size and PQ

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by D J C 197, Sep 24, 2005.

1. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums having taking delivery of a Panasonic 37" PV500 (Plasma, I know!) at the end of August.

Unfortunately for me the set developed a fault within 9 days and I'm still waiting for Currys to collect it and refund my money.

My problem is i dont know what to get to replace my faulty plasma. I do play video games quite a bit so have started to look at LCDs. However having now experienced a 37" screen i find anything smaller just looks to small. It would appear from what I've read that LCDs are possibly suited to smaller screens, i.e 32" and less. Is this true? I think i would now rather purchase a LCD instead of plasma beacuse of screen burn issues etc but dont really want to go down to a 32" screen.

Also, I've read that PQ from Sky can be an issue with larger LCDs screens, with things looking a bit blurry. Also do new LCD suffer from fast moving pictures, i.e football, and some Xbox games. What refresh rate should i be looking for?

There doesn't seem to be many LCD's which are 37". I do quite fancy the Samsung LE40R51?? as a 40" alternative?

I do have an Xbox 360 on order so I would prefer HD.

Do anyone have any recommendations or able to offer any advise or share experiences.

Thanks.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 30" LCD but it needs replacing as its not 720p compatible for Xbox 360, or HD ready.

I wanted bigger (If you see any of the HD demos in store, HD really benefits from a bigger screen). i couldn't get a 40" past the missus, and thats fair enough, it would have dominated the chimney breast I think (1m wide, 70cm high)

But I think I've persuaded her on a 37", which is still a fair bit bigger than 32. JVC 37S6. Looks great, and I had a HD demo on it in Comet which also looked fantastic.

TBH, I think plasma burn issues are overblown, but I'm cautious and therefore avoiding them for gaming and cbeebies (solid yellow logo!). Likewise, LCD issues are blown out of proportion. These days they have good response (the JVC is a 12ms panel) and pretty good contrast. not the levels of a plasma, but still good.

37" is available pretty well in LCD. The JVC got some really good reviews recently, but also consider the Toshiba 37WT58, which has 2 HDMI sockets. That would be handy to have one for Sky HD, and a spare for PS3 when it comes out (although You'd only need it for movies, not games, which should still support component)