1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed re: setup (3803-eggs-SPL1200)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rauer, Oct 24, 2003.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So I finally upgraded my sub, the PSW2000 companion of the original eggs. For various reasons I ended up getting a Velo SPL-1200. They're run by a Denon 3803 receiver.

Now, I've two things to figure out: the sub location and receiver/sub settings to sound good on different material.

The speakers are in a fairly large room, about 4,5 x 6-7 m opening to a small hall, kitchen and stairway. My music gear and the listening area are at one end of the room, the one with the stairway. Due to furniture locations, there are only a few possible places for the sub. It's currently by the long wall without hallway opening, about one third from one end. The other locations could be the corners of the end of the rooms. Earlier I've read that a corner would be the worst place for a sub, causing serious booming. Yet the Velo manual tells that typically the optimum location would be a corner!? While I realise that I probably have to try the different locations, I'd like to hear your opinions regarding this before I begin the large scale operation.

Secondly, I've found that the bass settings that sound best with films tend to sound too bassy and boomy with music. That seems to be the case with both subs. I've yet to find an easy way to have more low freq with films and a bit less with music. Any Denon 3803 experts out there, how should I do this?

Once again, thanks for the input!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Assuming you've set all speakers to small, all bass to sub and the crossover frequency on the amp to 80hz (you might want to experiment with 100/120hz for the eggs). Use the Crossover Direct switch on the Velodyne so that it's internal crossover is bypassed. Set the volume to around a third and you can then use the Denon and it's channel level settings to adjust the SW level from then on. Ideally you need a Sound Level Meter to balance all the channels correctly.

With regards to placement of the sub, the only thing I can suggest is to just experiment. Play some music with decent bass and place the sub in the spot where it sounds the tightest, with no boom yet has decent extension. When you've found that spot you'll also need to play around with the phase setting of the sub and see what sounds best to you.

The Denon has individual channel level settings for each mode so you can easily set a higher/lower sub output for music/movies. They are accessed via the OSD or from the front panel, press the CH VOL button and each press will cycle through FL, C, FR, SR etc etc until you reach the SW channel. Then use the knob to increase or decrease the level (you have a range of +12db down to -12db then OFF).

3. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, Jase.

The receiver x-over is currently 120Hz as I figured that would be around the upper level of the sub and the lower level of the eggs. The sub's set to by-pass it's x-over. Speakers small naturally and sub set on in the receiver.

I'll have to try to set the DD and DTS to optimal bass. However, I tend to listen to music with DPL II Music and stereo sound from video material with DPL II Cinema. The bass level of these can't be set separately. it seems.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    That's the one thing that Denon still haven't sorted out, Dolby/DTS/PLII get classed as one mode. It will remember a different setting for Digital and Analogue sources though provided you use a different input Eg. DVD input - digital signal - PLII Cinema. CD input - analogue signal - PLII Music.

5. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, this really seems to be the case. Currently I'm using my H/K DVD25 for both CD's and DVD's and I've only connected it with a toslink as I figured that the DAC's in my DVD player would probably be in the same league, worse as my 3803 receiver or at least not significantly better. This a pity as I wouldn't want to add an RCA cable set (and probably induce a new ADC-DAC processing for DPL II) just to get the bass department in order.

Is that the route that you guys have taken to get suitable bass level for both music and film?