Advice needed re my iPod Classics SMART DATA values

drabman

Novice Member
Advice needed re my iPod Classics SMART DATA values

I have two 7th gen classics bought second hand. I'm a bit concerned about the SMART stats. Are they OK?

I'm most worried about the first (ipod A). Unusually I got carried away and paid more than I was intending on ebay as it appeared to be in immaculate condition and had a load of extras.

I know the second (iPod B) has a few problems but I'm not overly concerned as I paid almost nothing for it on Gumtree (c. £20-30) and intend to mod it at some point anyway.

Ipod A

Retracts : 1

Reallocs: 0

Pending sectors: 0

Power On Hours: 190

Start/Stops: 4719

Temp: Current 19c

Temp: Min 5c

Temp: Max 60c

When I bought it I only asked for the Reallocs and Pending sectors and assumed the drive was healthy because of the zero values. However I'm now a bit worried about seeing 1 Retract, 4719 Start/stops in 190 hours and a 60c max temp.

The max temp seems a bit concerning as I was under the impression that ideally 50 was the highest it should be. Could this be something innocuous - maybe simply the device once being in a hot environment rather than a component overheating or an inherent problem with the device?

Is the max temp the maximum recorded in the device's lifetime or the maximum during the immediate usage? In the latter case I could obviously monitor it to see if the temperature is an aberration.

I haven't actually received it yet so I can't check to see there are any obvious issues although its listed as no problems.

ipod B

Retracts : 6

Reallocs: 12

Pending sectors: 57

Power On Hours: 625

Start/Stops: 53117

Temp: Current 28c

Temp: Min 7c

Temp: Max 52c

I have barely used this ipod but it seems to work absolutely fine in every respect. I was wondering if the stats of this second iPod indicate failure sooner rather than later?

My brother wants to borrow it but I wouldn't want him to suddenly find his music is unusable. (Yes, I know he should backup, but I very much doubt he will be assiduous about that, no matter how much the importance of that is hammered home).

It may be worth noting that in the process of leaving it on for long periods to see what the battery life was like the pending sectors value reduced to 56 after a short while, but the reallocs value didn't change. I assume there was a sector which wasn't bad after all?

MaryWhitehouse

Short answer is I have no idea. Slightly longer answer is if it’s worrying you what are your choices? I’d guess they are:

Worry but do nothing
Worry then replace drive
Worry then put in a drawer and forget about
Worry then sell on

drabman

Novice Member
As I said, I intend to replace the drive in the 2nd ipod. However part of the purpose of asking the question was to find out if the SMART DATA on that ipod indicates replacement asap or if I can wait.

As far as the first iPod goes I would like to know if the 60c Max Temp and Start/Stops values indicates an issue that would also make hard drive replacement advisable or whether these are of no concern and the good reallocs/pending sectors values mean the device is OK.

I would have thought the purpose of my post was clear, but thanks for the reply anyway.

MaryWhitehouse

And my point was knowing that will make no difference to when failure occurs now so if you're worried act rather than procrastinate.

drabman

Novice Member
And my point was knowing that will make no difference to when failure occurs now so if you're worried act rather than procrastinate.
It will make every difference if the temp and start/stop values of the first ipod are not a concern, given the good values elsewhere.

Miss Mandy

In my personal view data like that is largely irrelevant on a device like an iPod purely because drives in portable items can fail at any time. They’re more temperamental than drives that stay in one place and take more of a battering. It might last five minutes or it might last five years, over-analysing the data like you are doesn’t really give you any indication.
I’ve had ipods fail after only a few years and equally the current classic I’ve got is nearly 10 years old and still working. The drive is fine, it’s the battery that’s knackered.
If you’re really worried about it then replace the drive, otherwise just enjoy the device and worry about it if it fails.

drabman

Novice Member
In my personal view data like that is largely irrelevant on a device like an iPod purely because drives in portable items can fail at any time. They’re more temperamental than drives that stay in one place and take more of a battering. It might last five minutes or it might last five years, over-analysing the data like you are doesn’t really give you any indication.
I’ve had ipods fail after only a few years and equally the current classic I’ve got is nearly 10 years old and still working. The drive is fine, it’s the battery that’s knackered.
If you’re really worried about it then replace the drive, otherwise just enjoy the device and worry about it if it fails.
Thanks, much more helpful than the earlier dismissive reply which added nothing. It gave me the impression that the forum might have a culture of unnecessary rudeness, but maybe I was mistaken.

I wish apple would provide an updated ipod classic. There does seem to be some indication of demand. Although about a couple of years after it's removal you could pick up ipods on classifieds for nothing. (I bought three for around £20-30 after haggling) it seems that people have realised what excellent devices they are and the second hand price has shot up.

There seems to be no shortage of buyers for modded iPods in the £2-300 range so I would have thought Apple could shift new devices, perhaps with some extra features, for more than this.

MaryWhitehouse

Thanks, much more helpful than the earlier dismissive reply which added nothing. It gave me the impression that the forum might have a culture of unnecessary rudeness, but maybe I was mistaken.

But I said in the same thing!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom