Advice needed r.e. potential amazon camera return

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by clc.sheff, Jan 4, 2012.

1. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    I bought a Panasonic 14mp TZ20 from amazon for the wifes christmas present.

However....After taking maybe 20 or so shots and a quick video we decided to download and view the pictures. The quality of the shots seemed pretty dire and that's an opinon of someone who has used the same £150 sony 7.1mp point and shoot camera for the last 6 years not a camera guru.

I then took a further 60+ shots to see if I could get better results.

Basically in anything other than bright light the pictures seem quite uneven in texture. i.e. slightly blotchy. Having googled a bit the tecnical term might be that they had excessive noise.

I'm pretty unhappy that a point and shoot camera that boasts full HD video etc can't seem to take a decent straight forward indoor picture which is 90+ % of the photo's we take. I really want to be able to return the camera.
    Everything is totally as new as I carefully boxed it up but obviously the camera has been used albeit for a short period of time.

Basically I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with amazon and what may be the best way to proceed. Looking on the amazon website it states only unopened goods may be returned.

Any responses would be greatly welcomed!

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    Just return it and say it's not working as expected and image quality is very poor - obviously you couldn't tell that without trying it - and insist on a refund rather than replacement.

Jim

3. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Amazon, IME anyway, are usually very good in terms of customer service.

I would think you're totally covered here; Distance Selling Regulations and the UK Sales of Goods Act 1979 are your friends here.

Bottom line, the camera is not fit for the purpose it was bought for.

Back it ask this lot on here what to buy instead...They're very good you know, they even helped me spend a small fortune. :)

All the best
    Darren

4. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Thanks for the replies chaps

It's over 7 days since I received the package so I don't think distance selling would apply here. I was deliberating whether to just package it up and send it back or whether to play hard ball from the start and send it back with a complaint. No wonder the camera is reduced from £350 to well under £200. It's got too many bells and whistles but doesn't even do the basics.

I think what has got me a bit perplexed is that if I keep the camera I am eligible to claim £30 back from panasonic which I think runs out on jan 24th..ish. If amazon don't take it back or if they charge me say 20% restocking fee I will be either another £30 or even potentially 60+ quid out of pocket due to not probably not now having the time to claim the cashback.

p.s. My other choices were the canon 220hd, sony hx9 and poss the canon s95. My guess is that for a wife friendly camera the 220hd would be best even though it's the cheapest at £160 after cashback. I would like to get the s95 because I know it's an excellent stills camera but the wife likes to take the odd short video and I have read it doesn't focus or zoom during video which might be a problem.

5. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Amazon has 28 days returns as far as Im aware. Send it back, youll be fine. Amazon is an excellent company so I wouldnt make an issue with them or youll likely get a poor response.

6. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Agreed, I wouldn't go in all guns blazing off the bat... Amazon are quite good on this front, ime anyway.

Call them on this number: 020 7084 7911 and quote your ref number.... I reckon the worse case scenario will be you pay return shipping, but doubt that too.

7. BubbleDouble

BubbleDouble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    As others have said, you shouldn't have any problems with returning to Amazon, they're supposed to be very good in this area, though I've not had to return anything myself.

Re. the TZ20, there were a lot of reports about poor image quality on this model, supposedly far worse than earlier models in the range. Also, when I first got my TZ7 I felt, like you, that it didn't produce images as sharp and vibrant as my old Sony p&s. Switching over to other modes and tweeking a few settings here & there kinda resolved all that, but I'd still have my old Sony back any days, if it wasn't in pieces :(

Darren

8. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Id just go through the online return system and print off a returns label.

9. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    Amazon will charge postage for returns that are not their fault. I think their returns policy for stuff bought around Christmas is more extended than normal.

10. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Amazon are great for returns. Go to your orders online, select the camera order then under options select return item.

You will then be offered a choice of reasons and one of them is 'quality of item is not satisfactory' or something?

That will then allow you to print off a postage paid return (you take the package to the post office for proof of postage) or it will allow you to book a courier pick up if Amazon prefer.

In my experience there is never a quibble or a need to speak to a human.

Hope this helps

11. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Apologies for the delay in resonding. Thanks for the response.

Have pretty much followed the procedure as you have suggested MonkeyPrince and am awaiting collection of the item on Monday. :)

I will more than likely buy it's replacement from Amazon (unless I plump for the Sony) so was wondering if it might smooth out the process to pre-purchase the other camera so it is already showing on my account when they start processing the return?

The wife's not so keen as she is worried they will not refund on the original camera and we will be stuck with two...:rolleyes:

12. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I have returned a few items and never had a refund refused when i used the unsatisfactory quality reason, don't worry about it i'd say, just buy from them or not, it wont matter in regard to whether you get a refund or not.

mark.

13. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Amazon have millions of transactions on the go all the time, so don't be concerned.

Their business model is based on customer confidence and low operating expenses (relatively).

They NEED people to buy from distance with confidence so we all go back for more.

I used to hunt for best prices on almost everything I bought, I still do to some extent. But I find myself buying from Amazon more often than not because I trust their prices AND customer service.

14. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Myself also, their customer services are brilliant, alot of companies could learn from them, even the big ones, thats why I dont mind if they arent the very cheapest, you get what you pay for.

15. pips

pips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I had exactly this issue a while ago. Bought the TZ20 from Amazon, was bitterly disappointed with image quality, rang Amazon about a week after receiving the camera and they said to return it. They were very polite and didn't question me for one second.

Oh and I'd already sent off for my £30 cash-back from Panasonic, which I received about two weeks after receiving the refund from Amazon! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    Try updating the firmware. Some reports on the Internet suggest it improves the image quality

I have the TZ10 which the TZ20 and the image quality is very good for a point and shoot

17. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Yes check the firmware of what it is now please, there is a v1.2 firmware version out. Then take some pics and tell me what you think.

I bought it also from Amazon just before going away last summer, shots were fine but then took some at home and the same very pixelated in door.

I emailed panasonic direct to complain, they asked me to send some pics, also another thread I advised another who was concerned on image quality to email Panasonic, but he's never replied back with the results.

It was too late for me to send back, I haven't really tried it with v1.2 on, I should really! But be interested to know what version you have on now, update it and see if it improves, especially before you send it back tomorrow.

Cheers

18. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    @clc.sheff can you check firmware before returning at least please?

19. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Once again thanks for all the relies.

@ Delvey.. I thought the shots I got outside were quite good however all our xmas day shots were poor taken inside compared to my old cheap cybershot which will be the majority of the pictures taken. There was definately more resolution with the TZ20 but we thought things like skin in particular looked blotchy.

@MrMister - I did think to try and upgrade the firmware but in the end decided not to as I assumed it was more to do with how well the sensor performs in low light (maybe wrongly!). Unfortunately the camera is already packaged for return and is being collected today.

It's good to hear everyone being so possitive about amazon customer service. I have used them a bit for purchases but this is the first time I have had an issue with a product. Normally I overindulge myself so much in the research bit before buying I know more than exactly what I am getting. This time I only had a few hourse to look at cameras due to us breaking our previous one and then worrying about getting it delivered for christmas :)

20. pips

pips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've since bought the TZ10 and it is so much better than the TZ20, very happy with it even though it is, in effect, a downgrade!

21. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Did you update to v1.2 when you had yours pips and try it? Any difference? Or was it not out or to late to try?

So it did have v1.1 on then? Or are you presuming it just did and was going to do a upgrade anyway?

It's a pity it's all packed up I would have been interested in your findings, never mind :( hope you get all sorted!

22. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    Just upgrade yours - you've been wondering about it loooooong enough ;)

23. pips

pips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No, not something I personally would consider. If it can't do the job in the state it was sold, I don't want it.

24. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    To the OP: low-light performance is one of the image quality trade-offs for a compact camera. You either have to use the flash or live with pixelly pic's. Updating firmware may improve matters but the bottom-line is that it's basic physics, smaller sensor is far less sensitive to light so gets the light it needs by either increasing the shutter speed (blurry pic's) or increasing the ISO beyond it's ideal range (pixelly pic's). There are cameras on the market, such as the XZ1 which have 'brighter' lenses which let more light in to compensate, but the super-zooms on the market cannot achieve this and remain compact. The TZ20 (and TZ10 before it) are both well-respected travel compacts, you just have to learn with their specific 'issues' - of which low-light/indoor performance is certainly one.
    Oh and you should have no issues with returning the camera to Amazon...I returned a Canon compact for exactly the same reason, just had to pay the postage, which is reasonable I guess.

25. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have updated mine as I've stated before, I was wanting other people's opinions that have had v1.1 and v1.2

26. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    Apologies - didn't realise that this meant you'd upgraded it - so in that case "try it" ;)

27. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have, but again would like some other peoples opinions, isn't that what a forum is for?

To me can't really see much difference. I've only took numerous pics with it in the summer when we went away, ie bright sunshine and they were fine.

28. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    What happened then? Did they pickup ok and full refund, they charge you P+P?

29. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    I had to pay P+P but I received an electronic credit note for the full amount payable yesterday which is a result :). I assume that means the money is refunded onto the card used for the purchase as I can't seem to find any info in 'my account' on the Amazon website in regards to it being some sort of in store credit note.

Basically following advice on this thread I followed the on line returns procedure and ticked the box stating something like 'quality not adequate'. So a massive thanks for all the advice and a big thumbs up for amazon who will now become my main online shop even if a few quid could be saved elsewhere. :smashin:

Despite wanting to splash the extra £70 on either the canon s95 OR Sony HX9, I decided to plump for the canon sx220 which seemed the best wife friendly option for a resonable price (approx £163 after cashback). Due to the S95 being available for £229 now I thought that maybe the S100 might drop to a similarish price next year and I would maybe pick one up which I believe has auto focus and zoom during video mode.

The picture quality although not perfect is in my opinion much better on the canon both for photo's and video than my TZ20. I can take fairly good pics in indifferent light at ISO 400 (and 800 at a push but not ideal for TV viewing). It does have a tendancy to slightly overexpose in auto though and an annoyance is that it always favours high ISO over flash in auto also.

The canon does seem a bit flimsy though in comparison to the Panasonic and my old Sony which took quite a battering over the years. Also the ergonomics are poor. It's a funny shape / size and the buttons don't sit very well. I am also having a massive headache due to it saving video's in quicktime movie format which are not ideal for my ipad and PS3 which I am still trying to find a decent all encompassing solution for. However all in all in terms of the basics i.e. getting a good pic the canon exceeds what I was expecting.

HOWEVER! Biggest issue though with the canon is that I received it from the box with a grain of something stuck on the interal lens i.e. actually behind the front lens!

I can't (so far) detect an issue with it showing in the recorded photo's or video but it is there nonetheless. So I am now stuck with a new dilemma of wondering whether this camera will end up full of dust or just not last very long, or, Is it a one off particle due to manufacturing? I have no idea how well sealed the internals are in compact zoom cameras?

I'm now wondering whether to stick with it with the risk of being told to do one in 12months if it gets worse and I complain then rather than now, OR, get a replacement canon (which might have the same underlying problem (i.e. is poorly sealed), OR, to risk yet more frustration with the wife and swap it for the sony (and another £70).

As you can probably imagine my wife has now lost all hope of a trouble free life, decisions, decisions....:facepalm:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  30. Rex79

Rex79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I understand you headache with the QuickTime video

I store all of my video and photo on ps3.
    I used to plug in my old camera and select copy photo/video, and that was it done. The canon sx230 wasnt recognised by ps3, so I couldn't transfer the photos without PC, same with video. Even if you got the video on, it doesn't play as its quickTime.

Easy way to convert the QuickTime movie : open windows movie maker (this is a free download from Microsoft). Open the QuickTime file, then select Save As and choose a different file type (motion jpeg) for ps3 or PC

That was a deal breaker for me, have sent it back. I think I'm now going to buy a Panasonic fz48, it's bigger but should tick all of the boxes.

If you've got dust behind the lens you need to send it back

Rec