Advice needed please.

crocket99r

Standard Member
Hi,

I have been reading these forums for a few months now but still can't decide on LCD or Plasma as I don't like the 'smearing' I get from my 26" LCD and am worried about burn in if I was to get a plasma.

I am hoping to purchase in the Xmas sales but would be prepared to wait a while if you advise on updated models coming out a little later.

Looking to get a 42" set, maybe go up to 50", mainly for watching BBC, ITV, C4 & Freeview but also DVD's and XBOX360 (for which I would probably get the HD-DVD Drive when its in stock.

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated, especially about 'burn in' issues, my worries are because a mate had an LG 'New' from Empire Direct and we could see 'Washington' faintly in the top left corner upon first turning on, this went when the set had warmed up though.

Thanks very much, Merry Xmas all!!!!

E

ekb606

All HDTV screens except CRTs can suffer from image retention. This applies to LCD flat panels, DLP, ILa and LCD rear projectors and plasmas. You can check this out by reading the user manual cautions and/or troubleshooting pages for any of them.

Image retention is a temporary problem that goes away when the retained image on the pixels is overwritten by new data a few times.

Burn in, which is when the phosphors coating the inside of plasma and CRT screens get fried by stationary images was a problem with early plasmas but has been essentially eliminated from any plasma made by a reputable company since roughly 2003.

Different companies have different ways of preventing burn-in, as a Panasonic plasma owner, I am most familiar with their system, which involves special burn-in resistant phosphors and pixel-shifting circuitry which tricks the screen into thinking stationary images are actually moving.

Basically, we use the plasma for everything: TV, gaming, even displaying digital camera slide shows and there is no burn-in. I should also add that I hate watching ridiculously distorted movies, so I watch everything at its native resolution -- which means most of my SD DirecTV and my DVD viewing is in 4:3, complete with black bars (I like the contrast they provide better than white or gray) in each side of the screen and still no problem.

The bottom line is that the reason plasmas (and HD CRTs, for that matter) have better picture quality than all other technologies, is because they are phosphor-based. If you want a 50-inch security monitor that shows a still image of your garage door for months on end, buy an LCD, otherwise, I'd recommend a plasma.

crocket99r

Standard Member
All HDTV screens except CRTs can suffer from image retention. This applies to LCD flat panels, DLP, ILa and LCD rear projectors and plasmas. You can check this out by reading the user manual cautions and/or troubleshooting pages for any of them.

Image retention is a temporary problem that goes away when the retained image on the pixels is overwritten by new data a few times.

Burn in, which is when the phosphors coating the inside of plasma and CRT screens get fried by stationary images was a problem with early plasmas but has been essentially eliminated from any plasma made by a reputable company since roughly 2003.

Different companies have different ways of preventing burn-in, as a Panasonic plasma owner, I am most familiar with their system, which involves special burn-in resistant phosphors and pixel-shifting circuitry which tricks the screen into thinking stationary images are actually moving.

Basically, we use the plasma for everything: TV, gaming, even displaying digital camera slide shows and there is no burn-in. I should also add that I hate watching ridiculously distorted movies, so I watch everything at its native resolution -- which means most of my SD DirecTV and my DVD viewing is in 4:3, complete with black bars (I like the contrast they provide better than white or gray) in each side of the screen and still no problem.

The bottom line is that the reason plasmas (and HD CRTs, for that matter) have better picture quality than all other technologies, is because they are phosphor-based. If you want a 50-inch security monitor that shows a still image of your garage door for months on end, buy an LCD, otherwise, I'd recommend a plasma.

Thanks for your advice, I was looking at this Panasonic http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=973212&category_oid=-30633 which I fell in love with instore, picture looked great and good looking set, being a Panny owner yourself, would you recommend it or could you pick out a better model.

Many thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom