Advice needed please

shodan

Distinguished Member
Hey folks. I had a fairly decent pc gaming rig many years ago but I'm completely out of touch with it all now.
My son (14years) wants a PC as most of the friends he plays online with are on PC. I've tried to seek him in the idea of an Xbox but he wants to go PC.

He'll be using it mostly for gaming but not serious and competitive, only with his pals.
I'd like for him to have stable 60fps at 1080p (for now 😉).
Will need the pc only, think I've got decent gaming mouse and keyboard in the loft and he has the monitor in his room.

How cheap can I achieve my aim? I've no idea what components to start looking at now, I'm well out of touch 😁

Thanks!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
How cheap can I achieve my aim?
At the moment?
Probably £1000.
GPUS are rarer than rocking horse poo, even those that are old are holding their value (for example, the Vega 64 I sold last November for £185 now goes for £400 on a certain ebay site)

shodan

Distinguished Member
At the moment?
Probably £1000.
GPUS are rarer than rocking horse poo, even those that are old are holding their value (for example, the Vega 64 I sold last November for £185 now goes for £400 on a certain ebay site)
Thanks mate, I don't think he'll be getting a gaming pc anytime soon then....

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate, I don't think he'll be getting a gaming pc anytime soon then....
Other parts are cheap. Just the GPU
You could get a 1060 for second hand (one on the classifieds for £200) but you'll have to turn things down on most modern games to hit 60 fps. And there is no guarantee it won't stop working next week with no recourse

oneman

As above, PC parts have started to stabilise, its just the GPU.

You could look at something like 1080Ti which goes for around £400 and will handle 1080P gaming pretty easily.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this guy's. Am I right in thinking that it needs to be stable at 60fps to be decent enough for him to play online with his mates? Kids don't have patience for the frustrating of lagging etc

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this guy's. Am I right in thinking that it needs to be stable at 60fps to be decent enough for him to play online with his mates? Kids don't have patience for the frustrating of lagging etc

Wired network connection is just as important for good PvP, frame rate is important too of course but if serious about online play try to not use wireless.

Disable vsync in PvP games otherwise that will also add system input lag as the FPS hits the 60hz vsync cap.

If he can live without high end graphics there are CPU's with integrated GPU's that can suffice like this for example or self build your own. If you have a copy of windows lying around or old win 7 key you can still use it to install win 10 and get that system cheaper minus a pre-windows install.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Wired network connection is just as important for good PvP, frame rate is important too of course but if serious about online play try to not use wireless.

Disable vsync in PvP games otherwise that will also add system input lag as the FPS hits the 60hz vsync cap.

If he can live without high end graphics there are CPU's with integrated GPU's that can suffice like this for example or self build your own. If you have a copy of windows lying around or old win 7 key you can still use it to install win 10 and get that system cheaper minus a pre-windows install.
Spot on.
Also depends on the game. Something like Fortnite isn't graphics hungry and will play fine on something like the above.
COD War zone on the other hand is hungry and will need a dedicated recent GPU

rhodos

I'd also say £1000 and that includes the GPU.
Lots of ney saying on getting one but I managed to bag a 3070ti FE within a week of trying by registering an account with scan and buying at RRP when they had some in stock. There's a bit of site watching involved but nothing to put you off joining the club.

My whole PC, inc GPU, cost me about £1200 a couple of months or so ago:-
  • Ryzen 5 5600X = £250
  • Nvidia 3070Ti = £550 ( I would have saved £175 if the 3060Ti had been as easy to grab).
  • 16G crucial RAM = £75
  • MSI B550 Board = £100
  • Cooler + additionals fans = £60
  • Case = £50
  • 1TB NVME Gen 3 SDD = £90 (these are about £25 quid cheaper now and gen4 an option)
  • Windows 10 Pro = £10
= £1185

If you get the 3060Ti rather than the 3070ti then its £1000, And that imho is an easy 60fps @ 1080P.

I would strongly advise against the second hard / inflated GPU market.; no need for it imho.

PS. I should add that it was advice on using 'Telegram' and 'part alerts' from the likes of @Delvey and the good folks on this site that made this possible for me. Otherwise I would have been swimming with the sharks like many others!

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I'd also say £1000 and that includes the GPU.
Lots of ney saying on getting one but I managed to bag a 3070ti FE within a week of trying by registering an account with scan and buying at RRP when they had some in stock. There's a bit of site watching involved but nothing to put you off joining the club.

My whole PC, inc GPU, cost me about £1200 a couple of months or so ago:-
  • Ryzen 5 5600X = £250
  • Nvidia 3070Ti = £550 ( I would have saved £175 if the 3060Ti had been as easy to grab).
  • 16G crucial RAM = £75
  • MSI B550 Board = £100
  • Cooler + additionals fans = £60
  • Case = £50
  • 1TB NVME Gen 3 SDD = £90 (these are about £25 quid cheaper now and gen4 an option)
  • Windows 10 Pro = £10
= £1185

If you get the 3060Ti rather than the 3070ti then its £1000, And that imho is an easy 60fps @ 1080P.

I would strongly advise against the second hard / inflated GPU market.; no need for it imho.
That's a good system. @shodan Let me know if you want the part alert link.
You could save another £50 getting a B450 and another £90 getting a 3600 instead of 5600x.
Cooler and fans not a requirement so £60 off, and I picked up a Corsair Carbide 275R for £35
Still a capable machine.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Yeah, agreed regarding the 3060Ti. It's £370 for the FE and you need to sign up for stock alerts and the like but that's a solidly powerful 1080p/1440p card right there and I wouldn't look elsewhere. I wouldn't consider second hand as the prices are inflated and this will be miles better than older cards which are probably similar prices.

I know it seems harsh but that's the sad state of affairs at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom