Advice needed please

rdob

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

new to this and just seeking something general advice about which headset to buy my two boys. (14 and 12)
Looking into it, it appears that the htc vive is a very good option. They both have PCs that could handle it. The other attractive option is the Oculus Quest.

I like the idea of the quest as it is wireless, doesn’t need sensors mounted around the place. They could take it and use it anywhere rather than be tethered to their pcs.

On the other hand, it would appear that the vive is better with more games.

So really, I’d just like your thoughts please. Any advice on either would be welcome.

many thanks

Anything you can play with a Vive you can play with a Quest and Link.

I'd avoid a Vive like the plague because the displays and optics have always been of poorer quality compared to any of its competitors.

Get them a Quest. You'll get all 3 episodes of Darth Vader Immortal with it for free and they'll be able to take it on holiday or take it to their friends houses without needing to bring their PC with them.

The Quest Store also has plenty of games available that are Cross Buy, meaning you can buy the Quest Store version and be able to play the Rift version from the Rift Store for no extra cost.

Getting a Quest over a Vive is a no brainer tbh :D

Thanks so much for your response. That has helped a lot to know about the availability of games. Many thanks for the advice.

what about the 64gb 128gb issue? Any thoughts on that please?
Anything you can play with a Vive you can play with a Quest and Link.

I'd avoid a Vive like the plague because the displays and optics have always been of poorer quality compared to any of its competitors.

Get them a Quest. You'll get all 3 episodes of Darth Vader Immortal with it for free and they'll be able to take it on holiday or take it to their friends houses without needing to bring their PC with them.

The Quest Store also has plenty of games available that are Cross Buy, meaning you can buy the Quest Store version and be able to play the Rift version from the Rift Store for no extra cost.

Getting a Quest over a Vive is a no brainer tbh :D

How much space you want to have depends on your finances I think. If you can afford to splash out on the 128GB version then go for it, but if you don't fancy spending that much if really isn't a big problem. It just means that your sons will be limited to the amount of games they can store on the thing at the same time. This isn't a big problem imo, it doesn't matter how much space you have on these things you ALWAYS run out of space at some point lol

And if they're using Link to play using a PC (which will allow them to play the best games) space on the thing isn't going to be an issue.

Personally I'd say they'll be fine with a 64GB one.

Many thanks again. Your advice really has been clear and excellent. If no one else responds strongly the other way, I’m ordering a 64gb quest tomorrow.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom