1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed please..

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by y97rosn, Jan 16, 2005.

1. y97rosn

y97rosn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

Totally inexperienced film buff here. Was wondering if you could help me out. I’ve been experiencing a problem with my widescreen TV during DVD playback; for instance, every so often (-and on some discs more than others), light or dark streaks - sometimes both - will appear to flicker, or roll, across the screen, thus distorting the image, if only for a few seconds. With some DVD's it happens very infrequently, if at all, and you'd have to squint to really notice it, but with others it happens quite thick and fast, particularly during NTSC playback. Either way it's a terrible distraction. For example I was watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre (R2) today when it happened during one of the earlier daytime scenes, so I ejected the disc and popped it back in, jumped to the scene and lo and behold, it was there in exactly the same place. In fact it carried on through the entire scene. To be honest I thought it was the fault of the television however the lines do not appear during regular broadcasts.

I’m relatively new to the AV world having only owned a DVD player for a couple of years if that but I’m quite a perfectionist when it comes to video quality. I’ve recently invested in a Denon-DVD2200 (-which has yet to arrive), and I own a Sharp 28” pure flat TV. The only thing connecting my player to the TV is a simple (-ie cheap!) scart lead, plugged into the TV's RGB socket, though I do plan to upgrade to a more expensive lead asap as I realise that a good scart can work wonders for DVD playback. However, at the moment there’s nothing else running from DVD to TV, or vice versa, and I'd like to know if there should be? (-and if yes, could this lack of connection explain the aforementioned pic problem?)There are various connections on the TV set as well as my current DVD player (-even more so on the 2200), so can anyone advise me as to which of these I need to be using – and what the hell goes in them! – to get the best possible pictures/audio/anything else from DVD player. I am aware of the hundreds of video/audio cables, etc that are currently available on the market… but I’ve no idea where to start. Apologies for the (probably unnecessary) length of the post!

Thank you in advance.

Nate

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    y97rosn,

Welcome to the Forums. All human knowledge is here but in my experience you can expect as much confusion as enlightenment while you are finding your way around. It does get better though (and very addictive).

Are you sure that your SCART lead is fully ‘RGB’ wired and plugged into the RGB connection on your TV (with DVD set for RGB output if necessary). Have a check of the manuals.

[font=&quot]Best connection is component but your TV may not have this. RGB SCART will be good enough. Don’t know what you mean by ‘cheap’ SCART, some people around here would consider a £100 cable cheap :rolleyes: The Hitachi cables in the Argos catalogue are as good as any SCART if you need to upgrade.

3. y97rosn

y97rosn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peridot,

Thanks for the reply. SCART is fully RGB-wired as far as I know. In fact I just checked and everything seems to be fine in that department.

I'm beginning to think it might be the fault of the DVD player? It's a relatively cheap Sony model that I bought over a year ago, for less than £80. I'm hoping that with my new 2200 as well as upgraded SCART the problem will cease. Will keep you posted!

Regarding cables, (-another inane question here), how do I get Dolby Digital / DTS(?) sound out of my player? My current player has these connections at the back, and as far as I'm aware so does the 2200, but do I need a speaker system to be able to use them, or is it just a case of finding the right wires? I plan to invest in a decent surround package in the future but in the mean time I'm at a bit of a loss!

-Nate

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Nate,

Good luck with the new player when you get it.

To get surround sound you'll need a decoder and amplifier in addition to the speaker package. You feed the digital signal from the DVD player into the decoder and it extracts the multi-channel information.

Most people start off with an integrated AV receiver that provides all the decoding and amplification functions you need. Have a look at the Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers forum. As I say, it's confusing at first, but becomes clearer when you get your head around the various options.

If you want a low cost introduction to surround sound have a look at -
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1314

I started off with this system (when it cost £600) and still use it in a second room. The performance of the tiny speakers is amazing.

5. y97rosn

y97rosn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, Dermot. I was afraid I was sounding like a complete idiot. But hey.. we've all got to start somewhere.

That surround package looks mighty tasty, great price too for the specs. The Denon player will be going in my bedroom, which isn't small but hardly spacious either.. maybe a bit smaller than your average living room. Do you think the system would be appropriate therefore? It looks pretty nifty so I'm assuming it's the type of system you could 'tuck away' without it being too invasive.

- Nate