1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed......Please!))

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stonedog, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Stonedog

Stonedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    K..
    im back checking out the forum again after bout 12 months...i decided against getting a plasma back then due to the cost and poor PQ i heard a lot about but now im back and i got the plasma bug again))
    i got a few questions though that i would appreciate help with)..

1. Im leaning towards a new Panny pe30 but i saw a pioneer in comet the other day that looked awesome in terms of PQ compared to all the other plasmas around it...Panny or Pioneer? anything spec wise the new Panny has got that the Pioneer hasnt? how bout the old panny against the pioneer?

2. 42' or 50' ? apart from obvious are there any issues i should consider when deciding the size?

3. Im a big Tivo fan and dont want to part with mine..any issues or complications known about connecting tivo's up to plasma's? Hows PQ through Tivo from Sky? anyone else got same setup?

4. someone told me bout a Zinwell Brite-View and suggested i connect it up in between my Tivo and plasma, will this really improve PQ from Sky through my Tivo to a new panny or pioneer?? improve it enough for me to spend another couple hundred of my hard earned on a brite view?)

5. Siting the plasma means changing my whole speaker setup..while im at it can anyone reccomend a decent surround package that will compliment my new plasma? bear in mind i have a Yamaha Av reciever (Htr 554 i believe is model) currently running my speaker setup which apart from the new sub i bought recently isnt up too much....

6. New Panny or the older model........any major differences? apart from the price difference.....

7. anyone know of anywhere doing some nice 0% finance deals on plasmas?)) id rather pay buy now pay next decade or something like that) :laugh:

8. gonna go demo some plasmas this week so can anyone reccomend a particular DVD that would help me decide PQ issues between diff sets? particular scenes?

sorry for all the questions..had to get em all off my chest)....appreciate the time and help))))

Mark

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    GET YOUR ARSE DOWN TO KENT HOME-CINEMA CENTRE for a demo see alastair he will sort you out.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) panny has much higher contrast ratio, pioneer is higher resolution
    2) 50 if you can afford it! The resolution difference isnt there at 50 inch
    3) dunno since i dont connect directly to the plasma
    4) i havent heard such good things of the zinwell, it is cheap and nasty I gather. Better save your money for elsewhere or until you can affort a proper video processor
    5)pass
    6) panasonic value is to be had on the 42PWD6.... it has no tuner or speakers or anything which of course you dont need. The only thing to consider is that it doenst look as nice (i mean the frame isnt as pretty).
    7) Av-sales?
    8) how long is a piece of string!?

ad

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello all

Buns:
    One small point re contrast - I wouldn't use 'quoted' contrast ratios to differentiate between Panasonic and Pioneer screens; there seems to be no correlation between these quoted figures and what you see on screen.

Panasonic's 4000:1 figure drops to about 180:1 in ambient light!

Stonedog:
    The Panasonic PE30 PlasmaTV seems somewhat lacking on certain features for the Home Theatre enthusiast - a key one being no support fro 720P signals and no Digital video input.

The size issues is really down to viewing distance and how 'multi purpose' the room your sitting the screen in has to be - a 50" unit is viewable at 3m; though soap 'stars' can look a bit gruesome; then again the movies do work best on a big screen.

The Zinwell is one of a whole host of external video processors that start at a few hundred and go up to a few thousand pounds - with the quality of the video processor in the current Panasonic and Pioneer screens you may have to go more upmarket to see any real benefits.

What's your budget for the surround package - and look for something with Digital Audio Delay (this is not the same as the delay you get in the surround processing); having a global delay is a good idea especially if you were to consider a video processor as these add processing time to the video signal and not the audio signal.

The Series 6 Panasonic displays are better than the Series 5 Display's and at current prices you can really go wrong with one of these - though keep in mind the lower cost unit is 852x480 and whilst very good and is 'compatible' with HD signals you can do better with the more expensive 1024x768 Panasonic and Pioneer units.

Best regards

Joe