• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed please on starting HD capture on PC

Lord Kram

Standard Member
Im not sure if this is posted in the correct section, apologies if it is not
Ive been using the old method of recording from sky+hd to dvd-r for ages now, and want to be able to start actually doing some proper hd capturing through my pc, but I am a bit puzzled on a few things, so hopefully someone can help me
Ive been looking at the skystar hd2 pci card, and regarding a few reviews and peoples opinions etc, it looks quite a good 1 to start with, but I may have a problem with set up
I currently have a sky+ hd pace box, but as its over the other side of my room from the pc, I will prob have to get an extension or similar, but theres a problem i need to figure out 1st
I think on the sky hd box the sat cable is connected to the box with a dual cable. Is there any way of splitting 1 of the feeds so I can still run 2 to the sky hd box, and 1 to my pc without having to get another cable installed to the lnb?
Sorry for the long post, I need a bit of help!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Im not sure if this is posted in the correct section, apologies if it is not
Ive been using the old method of recording from sky+hd to dvd-r for ages now, and want to be able to start actually doing some proper hd capturing through my pc, but I am a bit puzzled on a few things, so hopefully someone can help me
Ive been looking at the skystar hd2 pci card, and regarding a few reviews and peoples opinions etc, it looks quite a good 1 to start with, but I may have a problem with set up
I currently have a sky+ hd pace box, but as its over the other side of my room from the pc, I will prob have to get an extension or similar, but theres a problem i need to figure out 1st
I think on the sky hd box the sat cable is connected to the box with a dual cable. Is there any way of splitting 1 of the feeds so I can still run 2 to the sky hd box, and 1 to my pc without having to get another cable installed to the lnb?
Sorry for the long post, I need a bit of help!

You can't split a lnb feed as the tuner has to control the lnb. You can however divert the cable using a changeover switch. If you do this with the second feed to your sky+ box you will retain a degree of use whist using the PC card.
Example
Manual A-B LNB Switch Satellite Broadband F-Connector on eBay (end time 14-Oct-09 11:31:06 BST)

Lord Kram

Standard Member
Ok thanks for the info, ive bought 1 just in case :)
Do you know how much it might cost though to have another cable run from the dish to my pc? I may look for an independant installer as sky will prob charge the earth

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Ok thanks for the info, ive bought 1 just in case :)
Do you know how much it might cost though to have another cable run from the dish to my pc? I may look for an independant installer as sky will prob charge the earth

If the dish is accessible it's a pretty easy diy job. All you need is enough PF100/WF100 sat grade cable and a couple of f connectors. Just be carefull you don't use the dish as a trapeze. You should have two spare outputs on an existing lnb.

Good advice here

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Lord Kram

Standard Member
I bought 1 of the switches you posted above yesterday, and it arrived today
I have already hooked it up, and I had made feed 1 the priority, and used the 2nd feed to connect to the switch, so once my hd card comes, I can switch between the hd card and the 2nd feed
I do have 1 other question though
Is there a way I can still use my sky box only with 1 feed whilst I use my hd card in my pc? as when I turn the switch over and turn feed 2 off the sky box, I get "No sattelite signal received" even though feed 1 is fine
I should still be able to watch 1 channel, and record it on my sky box?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I bought 1 of the switches you posted above yesterday, and it arrived today
I have already hooked it up, and I had made feed 1 the priority, and used the 2nd feed to connect to the switch, so once my hd card comes, I can switch between the hd card and the 2nd feed
I do have 1 other question though
Is there a way I can still use my sky box only with 1 feed whilst I use my hd card in my pc? as when I turn the switch over and turn feed 2 off the sky box, I get "No sattelite signal received" even though feed 1 is fine
I should still be able to watch 1 channel, and record it on my sky box?

Sounds as if you have used the wrong tuner feed to the sky box swapping them should hopefully sort this out. Heres how to set up a recording on the sky box when it's only got one cable

The DVD Forums - View Single Post - Sky+ with only one feed

Lord Kram

Standard Member
Sorted it!
I found out I had 1 of the sky feeds in the wrong hole I put it into the middle tv bit of the switch, and not in side 2 which was why it wasnt switching feed 2 on and off :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom