• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed - please help a newbie

Netskee

Standard Member
We are going to turn our loft room into a games/film room and have decided that we want to go with the projector option. Only problem is, i know less than naff all about them. A quick google search has led me here and you guys seem to know what your talking about. Could any of you give me some advice on what brand of projector to go for? Ive searched around on google shopping and theres a lot of names poping up that ive never heard of, mainly "Optoma". Im not really keen on going for a brand which ive never heard of to be honest so could you point me in the direction where i may find some decent ones?

I've looked on pc world's web site and tho i didnt have a thorough look around, (got too confused with all the jargen) i saw a pull down screen for £260! i dont know if underestimating the cost of setting this up but that to me seemed excessive. Is there anything special these things do other than allow a clean white flat surface for the image to be projected onto?

Im mainly lookin to set this up for gaming so if you could give me some advice on what to go for id appreciate it. My pockets arnt too deep but i dont want to cheap out and be disappointed.

Any advice and info you could give towards jargen busting and things to look out for would also really help.

thanks for reading

Netskee said:
around £500-700 but the cheaper the better really

optoma is a good brand for pj.

if you could strech your budget to 1k you could get a epson EH-TW3600, with 3 year warranty. full hd with very good image. very good investment for the cost.

baz

Netskee

Standard Member
ive found this 1 - the reviews all sound good but i looked at tech spec and the contract ratio is only 350:1 are all projectors this low? how will it look in ur opinion?

Netskee

Standard Member
ive had a play around on sketch up and made this:
2me1xs8.png

this is how it will look once were ready to start turning it into the game/film room

have also worked out that the biggest space on the far wall is 7"2 x 5"3 but thats literally to the floor. what kind of screen should i go for? do all projecters these days project in wide screen?

thanks

Last edited:

akarit1

ive found this 1 - the reviews all sound good but i looked at tech spec and the contract ratio is only 350:1 are all projectors this low? how will it look in ur opinion?

Netskee, this link you have put on for play.com is for the Optoma 200x.
I have seen this projector for £750, so to get it with a screen for an extra £30 is a damn good bargain. I assume the screen will be a manual one.
I can give you my opinion on this projector as a friend of mine has it and I've seen SKY hd and bluray on it many times. The picture quality is fantastic...believe me when connected thru HDMI. The only reason I would not buy it is because of the limited placement options, i.e. you really need to place the projector in front of the sceen dead on as it has no lens shift. The only other niggle was that it is a DLP machine so you still get rainbow effect (although it was not too noticeable for me). If these things are not going to affect you then, I'd go for it without hesitation and you will be purchasing from a good retailer in my opinion.:thumbsup:

Netskee

Standard Member
"you really need to place the projector in front of the sceen dead on as it has no lens shift."

thats a bit crappy. i was kinda hoping to have it ceiling mounted

"The only other niggle was that it is a DLP machine so you still get rainbow effect (although it was not too noticeable for me)."

not sure i know what u mean by "rainbow effect"??

akarit1

"you really need to place the projector in front of the sceen dead on as it has no lens shift."

thats a bit crappy. i was kinda hoping to have it ceiling mounted

"The only other niggle was that it is a DLP machine so you still get rainbow effect (although it was not too noticeable for me)."

not sure i know what u mean by "rainbow effect"??

You can ceiling mount the Optoma provided its central to your screen width wise, i.e. if your screen is 7 feet across then the projector up the other end, hanging from the ceiling should be 3.5 feet from the left or right of the screen. You will need to hang the optoma upside down and then go into the settings to adjust it so the image is right way up again as per other projectors that are ceiling mounted. Optoma would not sell many projectors if they were not ceiling mountable..:)

Rainbow effect is a visual nuisance which afflicts DLP projectors. Not everyone suffers from it and it does not bother many people (me included) but for those that it does affect, it can ruin their enjoyment of a film/programme.
Due to the nature of the way DLP's work, the image is projected through a transparent colour wheel which spins round and consequently, if you move your head left or right in quick successive movements, you will see a trail of blue green and red colour emanating from the picture on the screen. This happens in B/W a lot as well as darker scenes. Not everyone suffers from it and some more than others. You are best to demo one before you purchase it to see if it bothers you.

Last edited:

Netskee

Standard Member
oh ok thanks alot pal, thats really helpful to know =].
also, is contrast ratios important to worry about? as that 1 is only 350:1

have also find this 1 which is cheaper and 4000:1

akarit1

oh ok thanks alot pal, thats really helpful to know =].
also, is contrast ratios important to worry about? as that 1 is only 350:1

have also find this 1 which is cheaper and 4000:1

I'm not familiar with the Acer but one thing I do know is that you get what you pay for and personally I would not go for a projector that is cheaper than £600 as something had to give to drive the price down so low. Contrast ratios is also something that does not bother me much. The Optoma gave a fantastic sharp rich image even with subdued lighting as the lights were turned down on a dimmer switch but not completely off. In fact I watched it with the light turned up several times but still managed to see a decent picture. The key is to demo one for yourself or read the owners thread if you cant get a demo where you live.:smashin:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The Optoma is quoting an ANSI contrast ratio where the Acer will be a full on full off CR,The Optoma is the better machine.:)

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
ANSI contrast is a reading that is taken when the projector is projecting both black and white at the same time, using a chequerboard pattern - when it's doing that, the bright parts affect the 'black' parts (the brightness of the rooms decor will affect it too), so the reading is lower. When they measure 'on/off' contrast, they project black, take a reading, then project white and take a reading (and divide the black into the white). The black reading in that condition is much lower than the black reading using the ANSI pattern, so the on/off gives a higher reading.

If you see the patterns and the tests being carried out, you can see why the results differ but quite a bit. If you do a search for ANSI contrast and on/off contrast you should find a lot more info. :)

Gary

Netskee

Standard Member
cheers gary, really usefull stuff! Im guessin that alot of people will put this down to personal choice but is there any sort of guide to screen size by viewing distance?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Netskee,

You can click the link in my sig for viewing distance info, but with a 1080 display and mostly HD content, I think THXs recommendation of sitting at 2.4 x the screen height is a good guide. Even good quality DVD can look fine at that distance (low bitrate digital transmissions or poor quality DVD might look a bit rough at times but good source material should be fine).

HDTV Set Up « THX.com

If you want to try and replicate the perceived size of the image you see in a commercial cinema, think of where you might choose to sit there, and try to do the same at home. 2 to 4 x the screen height is the usual range found in theatres, so anywhere within that range should be fine. Experiment to see what suits you best.

Setting the brightness and contrast correctly is a relatively simple thing to do with a test disk, and can make a big difference on how good or bad the image can look, so try to do that as part of your setting up.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom