1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed Pioneer VSX-D2011

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jeffer0001, May 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jeffer0001

jeffer0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to upgrade from my Sony STR-DB925 to a Pioneer VSX-D2011. I'm particularly disappointed with the standard stereo performance of the Sony and need to be reassured the Pioneer will give me a significant upgrade. I'm confident the AV performance will impress and, as I'm using std 5.1 format, am optimistic biamping will do the business. Any comments from current 2011 owners will be much appreciated. Also the cheapest I can find it for is £694. Anybody know of better?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Another option to consider if you primarily want to get improved stereo performance is adding a stereo amp and using pre-outs from the 925 (if it has them).

Also what are you using as source and speakers? That is as significant to the final sound quality as the amp itself.

(This is in no way disparaging the musical quality of the 2011 before I get linched by 2011 owners!!)

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Did they have it in stock for £694 though because they arent exactly the easiest things to get hold of? I dont own one but did think about buying one, the stereo performance was pretty good and the surround sound sort of goes without saying.

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I bought my 2011 primarily for home cinema use but also to play CD's through. I've been very happy on both counts. My Mission 74i's are bi-wired producing an excellent sound particularly listening to music in stereo. The 2011 can also be bi-amped if you only want 5.1 and not 7.1 surround, and I'm sure with the right speakers is capable of very good things.

5. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Pioneer VSX-D2011 for home cinema use, and was originally going to retain my NAD C350 amp for 2 channel music. However, after listening to CDs through the Pioneer, I have been more than happy to remove the NAD altogether, and use the Pioneer as my main music system too.

The "Direct" mode is particularly good for listening to CDs, and gives the sound a great sense of space and clarity compared to its "Stereo" mode. Having said that, I usually use the DTS Neo:6 mode to listen to music, as it still sounds very natural, but adds a nice ambience from the surround speakers. I think it's more than adequate for music, unless you are comparing to very high-end equipment.

6. jeffer0001

jeffer0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ageing but competent Marantz CD63 and a pair of Mission 752 floorstanders which I find a little light on bass. Both were five star winners in their day.

7. jeffer0001

jeffer0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Like Sunil I think both multi-channel and stero sound great on my 2011 although I far prefer stereo with MCACC (manually tweaked) enabled to direct mode.

Biamping I *think* made the sound a bit smoother, but the difference was not huge.

9. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find my 2011 fine for music, I do find that bi-amping tightens up the bass a bit.

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I too find the 2011 no slouch in terms of stereo performance, while still being aware it is outperformed by my pre-power gear. Over the weekend i had the chance to set the 2011 against some of my old amps and found, to my ear, it was in the league of the 300UKP amps i had from yesteryear...the Pioneer 400-X, Aura VA100...but that the CyrusIII (500UKP) began to show the 2011s limitations. I tried this on Mission 753s, Anthony Gallo MN/VeloCHT-15, and Proac Res1SC, using a Meridian/Deltec source.

11. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys, there are some good testimonies there and performance references to other amps. I'm pretty convinced to go for it. Other comments would be welcome from 2011 users.

12. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK then, I find my 2011 is a vast improvement on what I had before - which admittedly was a £230 stereo amp. I find older (60s, early 70s) music can sound best in Direct, newer or remastered music better in Dolby Pro-Logic II, or, for more of a thump, Neo:6. I find Stereo a bit weedy compared to the other options.

13. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'l probably regret this but i actually don't mind 7CH Stereo either:blush:

14. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bi-amped mine with Monitor Audio s6`s after listening to them with a single run 4 a while, i found the difference huge.
    The bass was tighter and the every track now seems more open, this amp is fantastic with music and films....

(or is the speakers? !!!!!)

Rob
    :p

15. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jeffer0001 I am also looking for a new Amp. I still can't decide between VSX-D2011 & AVR-3803. Had a listen to the Denon, can't find anyone with a Pioneer to demo. Did you consider the Denon?

:clap: throws his hands in the air in a state of confusion.

16. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I know for a fact a place in Slough has a 2011 you can demo but as I dont know where you are it could be hundreds of miles away! They have a good supply of 2011's but wont really do any discount on them.

17. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Zor, I know it's a little dangerous but my preference is for the 2011 ater reading the review in this month's What HIFI. They have published a supertest on AV receivers at the £1000 mark. The Pioneer comes out a storming winner followed by the Sony and then the Denon - even for pure stereo performance. I think the ability to Bi-amp the Pioneer because of the seven channels (I won't use ES for the time being) was the clincher, although this is not mentioned in the review. A Denon-mad friend of mine pointed out that the Denon has had excellent reviews in other mags. So how was the demo with the Denon?

18. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeffers01.

I was pleased with the sound of the AVR-3803. However with nothing to compare it against who knows! Read the review in WHF. Didn't really help. I think it might just come down to features that work for me in the end. They both seem to be good products.