1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed: Philips Vertical Bars & Warranties.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dedman, May 19, 2004.

1. dedman

dedman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello all,

I am looking for advice from anyone who has experience with returning faulty tv's, extended warranties, and general 'it's not my problem' attitudes.

I'll briefly outline the situation as to go into to detail would take forever.

In July 2002 I bought a Philips 32PW9617 which I was initially very impressed with. However, in December last year I noticed these faint vertical lines down the picture which were becoming ever more apparent. It was then I stumbled upon the 450 comment, 60,000 viewed post on the pixel plus problems. The word 'arse' sprang to mind on reading it.

I had bought the TV from the House of Fraser and it came with an extended warranty until 2007 so I rang them up and explained the situation and they referred me on to a tv repair firm. After 4 (!) monthes, 3 attempts, DoogyDawg's fix applied, numerous digital photos of the problem they finally said they couldn't fix it and they would have the area Philips technical advisor come and have a look. It was now out of there hands.

2 Weeks later the philips guy apparently turned up to examine the set. Amazingly he had never heard, seen or experienced this strange 'black bar' phenomenon. He liked my photos of the problem so he took them, along with his own, back to head quaters and then sent them over to Germany for his advisors to look at. The repair firm was told I would be written too personally. This was about 4 weeks ago now and I've heard nothing.

The main problem I have now is who can I go to? Who should I go to? Upon phoning the repair company they seem suprised I've heard nothing but say there isn't anything further they can do. They suggested I call customer services at the croydon philips centre. However I tried this and they immediately put me through to national call centre (I don't event think it was in this country). I've tried phoning House of Fraser but the idiots who are usually 1st line say they have to wait until they hear from the repair firm and won't put me through to the warranties department. Feel I am going round in circles.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Dedman,

Care to give us a name of the representive from Philips. I went through hell with Philips and have lots of info I can share.

3. dedman

dedman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sure...
    The name I've been given is Alan Murphy at Philips Croydon.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Different guy to the one I dealt with. It took me 6 months to eventually get my money back. Philips viewed my Tv at my house and could concur with everything I showed them i.e. they could see the faults but after a wait of 2 weeks I got a letter back saying that the Tv was operating to specification. This to me was the worst thing they could have said because I think it opens up doors for everyone. Everyone who saw my TV could not believe how poor it was. Also them trying to fix the problem that apparently dosent exsist according to the helpdesk (should be unhelpful desk) also is in your favour and especially seeing that the fix did not work. I think there is a consumer right that if they fail to fix a fault that has been identified after you have given them reasonable chance to fix it they are in breach of contract.