Advice needed on wiring the house please

Jaspal

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am positive that this question has been asked, but I could not find the answer on various threads under here, so apologies in advance for asking this question. I have just bought a 3 bed house in London and because it will have to stripped for renovation, I though I will get rewiring done.

Plan:
Have a wall mounted telly,Sky HD box & surround system in the living room and one bedroom and a gaming console in the living room
Have speakers in the hallway, kitchen, two other bedrooms bathroom upstairs and in future in loft and extended Kitchen

Questions:

1) How many Cat6 cables do I need to run in each room and why? Pardon my ignorance as I am a novice

2) Would I need Coax cable for telly?

3) Would I need RJ45 for telly's are going to be? and separate for phones?

4) After reading a few threads, I have gathered that all the cables need to come to one central location (Node 0); how would I get internet from my router to all the rooms and how do I get my skyboxes connected?

5) How many and which speaker wires should I run?

6) Amplifiers & connecting speakers - Again pardon my ignorance, but how can I use them to get wireless music through speakers in my house?

7) Do I need to run CAT 6 in the front & back of the house as well?

8) What should I keep in mind for future extension and loft conversion from cabling & wiring prespective?

9) Are there any brands that I should buy for CAT6 cabling?

Thank you in advance

1) How many Cat6 cables do I need to run in each room and why? Pardon my ignorance as I am a novice

At least 3, 1 for HDTV Distribution, 1 for Smart TV/Internet and one spare

2) Would I need Coax cable for telly?

Yes best to have back up of freeview TV

3) Would I need RJ45 for telly's are going to be? and separate for phones?

Yes Cat6 as above, do you actually use landline phone, if so run another Cat6 ?

4) After reading a few threads, I have gathered that all the cables need to come to one central location (Node 0); how would I get internet from my router to all the rooms and how do I get my skyboxes connected?

Cat6 as above

5) How many and which speaker wires should I run?

At least 2 Speaker cables per room, just 2.5mm Speaker cable, dont spend a fortune

6) Amplifiers & connecting speakers - Again pardon my ignorance, but how can I use them to get wireless music through speakers in my house?

Sonos Connect:Amps at Node0 , one per room

7) Do I need to run CAT 6 in the front & back of the house as well?

Run as much as you can, you cant have too many!!

8) What should I keep in mind for future extension and loft conversion from cabling & wiring prespective?

leave CAt6, speaker cable and coax coiled up as close to loft and extension as possible

9) Are there any brands that I should buy for CAT6 cabling?

We use Excel, but Cat6 Not CCA and Solid Core

Thank you in advance

Give me a shout if you want any more help

Seb

Thank you kindly Seb for your reply above.

Just a few of follow up questions:

A) Would I need Sonos Connect Amp for each room? I was planning to buy Sonos Zone 2 with some speakers and connect all the speakers in the house via Sonos Zone 2; am I missing a trick?

B) So is Node 0 as place that I house my skyboxes, router and Sonos Amp? And how would I get my Sky remote to work in the rooms, if my Skyboxes are not in the same room?

C) I need landline for SKY and Internet, so is it best to have CAT6 for phone as well in Node 0 rather than where I plan to have my wall mounted television's?

Thank you in advance
Jaspal

A) Would I need Sonos Connect Amp for each room? I was planning to buy Sonos Zone 2 with some speakers and connect all the speakers in the house via Sonos Zone 2; am I missing a trick?

Not sure what you mean by Sonos Zone 2.

If you want the ability for each room to have different music then you would need a Sonos Connect Amp per zone, for the room with surround sound amplifier you would need a Sonos Connect

B) So is Node 0 as place that I house my skyboxes, router and Sonos Amp? And how would I get my Sky remote to work in the rooms, if my Skyboxes are not in the same room?

You would need a HDMI over Cat6 matrix, this converts the HDMI from your sources to Cat6 and then a receiver at the TV end converts it back to HDMI. This also provides infrared control from the TV position over the same CAt6 cable.

HDBaseT

C) I need landline for SKY and Internet, so is it best to have CAT6 for phone as well in Node 0 rather than where I plan to have my wall mounted television's?[/QUOTE]

You no longer require a landline for Sky however yes if you get your phoneline/internet installed/extended into the Node0 location that would be the easiest

Thank you kindly Seb.

I followed the link for HDBaseT, for my requirements which one should I buy? Also, do I just need to run CAT6 cables or CAt6 ethernet? I am a bit confused as I though I will be able to use RJ45 with CAT6 cables to plug in my router?

Best
Jaspal

I know we just spoke on the phone but to clarify Cat6 is cat6 there isnt Cat6 ethernet and cat6.

Cat6 can be ternminated onto a RJ45 crimp end or into a wall module but for the ones being used for HDBaseT we recommend RJ45 crimp ends

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom