1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on which model is best for my needs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stolt, Aug 2, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi looking to get my first dvd recorder but I confused with the amount of models out there, could someone advise me if i give a breakdown of my wants which is the best model, I read a hundred reviews and looked over the web and I've think I've ended up getting too much information.

Primarly I want to transfer my DV tapes to disk, and then some VHS home movies to disc, But I would like to have the option recording from normal sky aswell.

The models below are which I've seen and intrest me and they all seem similar spec'd

LG 4810
    JVC DMR10
    PIONEER DVR320S (think this model is fairly new)
    Panasonic EBS65

I want to keep it as cheap as possible and I know the LG and JVC can be bought for a tad over £200 now, but I want to get the best for me and if that means the pioneer or panasonic then so be it.

thansk for taking time out to read this

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at JVC HR-DVS3.... Perfect for your needs but perhaps a tad pricey.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I would suggest you drop the LG - it has some quality issues (lip sync problems). The other three are all good recorders with their pros and cons: obviously all have iLink and all can record from Sky.

The Pioneer 320 might be a good choice for you because it has a two way iLink socket. This means you can copy your recordings to the DVD recorder in 'VR Mode', edit and the dub back to the digital camera. You can then redub to the DVD recorder this time recording in Video mode on a DVD-R which will playback on almost every DVD player. On the Pioneer you can record onto DVD-RW and DVD-R which will play back on most DVD players (assuming you don't use VR mode on DVD-RW).

The Panasonic E65 is arguably the best overall DVD recorder out of the ones you list. It has progressive scan/component output and card slots as well as being a forth generation model. It has full RGB input (like the Pioneer) and will make splendid recordings. It will record to DVD-R which will play in virtually everything and DVD-RAM which will play in only a handful of DVD players (like DVD-RW VR Mode).

The JVC DRM10 is an excellent machine: progressive scan, component output, DVD-RAM/DVD-RW and DVD-R support, Live Memory etc but lacks RGB input which means you'll need to buy an extra RGB-To-S-Video converter (about £50) to get a high quality picture input.

Consider you needs uses and ask yourself whether the two way iLink on the Pioneer is a 'killer feature'. If it isn't then ask yourself if you want to make compatible (with other DVD players) recordings on re-writeable media. If so consider the JVC or Pioneer. If you are not to bothered about either of these though the Panasonic will serve you the best.

4. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thansk for the replies as mcuh as the feature on the pioneer sounds great I don't think I'd end up using it. I would like to give the recordings to friends etc so that is another important factor I need to take into account.

Ok so between the Panny, JVC, and Pioneer, I'm thinking about the hook up issues within the current setup I already have. I own an old Fujitsu plasma which only has component in (hope this makes sense I have the three leads from the plasmas connected into some rca connectors which are attached to a scart).

The JVC looks like the cheaper option for me and if it does everything I want I may well go for that unless anyone else has any suggestions.

thanks again for the replies

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    You'll be able to connect the JVC or the Panasonic then. The JVC will serve you well - note the RGB issue and the need to buy an RGB-to-S-Video converter such as this one:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?Hash=207&dept_id=103
    Aside from that though great machine.

6. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks rasczak for the replies, apologies for me sounding thick, but is the convertor something I can add at a later , ie can I connect it all up and live with the poor picture for a few months and then buy the convertor.

thanks

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215