1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on what speakers to buy

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dai B, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Dai B

Dai B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been out of the 'proper' home cinema loop for a few years now (which is why I now have a wife-friendly 'all-in-one' system), but I could do with some opinions/advice on my current proposal.

I am thinking of converting the loft into a dedicated home cinema (approx 12' x 16'), and I've got a Yamaha RXV795, Kef Q35 speakers, Kef Model 90 centre speaker and a REL Q50 subwoofer gathering dust at home. If the conversion were to go ahead (need to put a 'business case' to the wife!), would look to spend approx. £1000 on a new amp/receiver - current thinking would be something like the Yamaha RXV4600 (I like Yamaha having had a DSPA590 in the dim and distant past), but I just do not know what to do about speakers. As it's very tempting to spend money on new kit, my initial thought was to invest in something like the M&K K series, particularly as music isn't a priority. But, would I better off utilising my existing Q35's and Model 90 and adding to them? If I were to get a new speaker package, the budget would be £1.5 - £2k, but I don't want to spend for the sake of it. Does anyone have any views or opinions as to whether I would be better served sticking with Kef and using part of what I've got, or would I regret making the compromise, and would I get much better performance with something else?

Also, is a 6.1/7.1 speaker set up significanlty better than the standard 5.1?

Cheers.

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    go for the best that you can afford and like the sound of. If you don't you will always be wondering "what if".

Not sure if you need to spend so much in the amp/receiver though, someone else may be more up to speed on that but the MK's are certainly a joy to listen to and small/business case friendly ;)