Question Advice needed on upgrading bargain basement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by afzal, Oct 28, 2017.

1. afzal

afzal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There's a few places where this could have gone, as I'm looking at projectors, speakers, etc., but I guess this is the most generic.

In 2012 I turned my basement room into an HC on a very tight budget. It was my first foray into HC, and I went with a dirt cheap Onkyo AV+speaker setup, with an Optoma HD300x.

I recently changed my TV provider, and *bang* - I've been it in the face with HDCP 2.2. Things were going weird, I couldn't get a signal half the time and I was a lost. Thinking my Onkyo was dying, I got a Sony STR-DN1080 at £450 as the lowest cost AVR giving some future proofing. I also got a good deal on a Dali set - A Zensor Vokal, an E-12F, and 2 pairs of Zensor 3s (not the 1s normally sold in a group). The Dali setup was £950.

Now, the Sony offers 5.1.2 atmos/DTS:X, so I'm going to get something to ceiling mount. My first question, though is this. I've got a pair of run-in Wharfedale Diamond 220s in my living room doing duty for my music, although I find them weak in the low frequencies. I'm wondering if the Zensor 3s are overkill as surrounds, and if I'd be better using 1 pair of the Dali's to replace the Diamonds, and moving the Diamonds to surround duty. Anyone got any views on whether this is a good move? Or should I ceiling mount the Diamonds as an atmos 5.1.2 and get something new for my living room?

The big question, though, is projector. My Optoma was really the cheapest okay-ish option at the time. Unfortunately, it's not HDCP 2.2 compliant, so my super-duper internet TV with Netflix won't work on it! I'm not interested in 3D, but we're at the start of some interesting stuff with UHD, HDR, Laser/Phosphor, LED light sources, wide colour gamut, etc. If I'm really nice to the family, maybe, just maybe, I could get away with about £5'000 for a projector. And this is where I'm really struggling. Where do I put the priority? My basement is pretty much a bat cave, and none of us suffer from DLP rainbow problems. If I buy something, and am willing to take a hit in 2-3 years time, what's going to be the things to concentrate on most? UHD? We're getting more content, and with Netflix there is some room there. HDR? I've yet to see anything convincing, but 6 months is a long time. A non-conventional light source? It would be nice to have some stability and not having to drag out my calibration gear every few weeks. So, stay FHD but go Laser/LED? Go for the best EPSON/JVC/SONY in my price range? UHD? HELP!

2. 5saladz

5saladz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Demo an Epson LS10k or 10.5k. You can get second hand ones under your price limit.

3. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
  4. afzal

afzal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks!
    I didn't know such things exist. as surely, it defeats the whole purpose of HDCP 2.2, which is content protection.

5. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    Certainly seems so - the only reason I know about them, and am interested in getting one, is to tell my blu-ray player that my projector is HDR capable and to send WCG information- the basic difference between my projector LS10000, and the newer LS10500.

As I understand it, it effectively 'upgrades' my model to the capabilities of the newer one, as they can both produce the same colours. There's probably more to it than that, but whatever.....

The removal of HDCP is just a bonus..... though I'm sure for some more nefarious types it'd be very useful!