Advice needed on Toshiba 32Z17B!

D

Dr.Magus

I've ordered it and should have it next week but i was wondering if there was anyone out there who has it could tell me their experiences with it, good or bad. I bought it mainly because it is32" flat with 3 scart leads and is only costing me £695. It is the best value for the price? I did a search and saw threads from last year but does anyone have one now?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

I have just bought the 28Z07B, which is the 28" version of this TV and everything is fine so far. It is pretty good on normal pictures, but really comes into it's own with DVD's.

Hope you get on OK with yours.

AJ

Thanks ajwk:)

It looked really good in Currys but i'm still worried something will go wrong when i get mine! Suppose i'd best stop being such a big girl's blouse about it :rolleyes:

Amen.

Did the whistling noises stop on yours or did you have to get an engineer out?

Yeah, I got the original one replaced no problem and the new one is fine. I'm just glad I bought mine off the internet for a £170 less than Comet High Street, it's a shame that more people don't shop around for better deals!

I am now whittling down the candidates for an AV receiver and dedicated surround speaker set up as I have definitely been bitten by the HC bug and want to take advantage of DD 5.1/DTS DVD's!

Regards

AJ

Yep it is very cheap as the Currys price was £950:eek: but it's £695 at TV & Digital Direct, which is a hell of a bargain and that's why i can't help feeling it might be a repair job or something! :confused: I'll find out soon enough though.

I've not even looked at home cinema systems yet as it took long enough just choosing the tv! Want a dvd player next and then i'll have to save some more pennies if i want anything else.

dr.magus, i feel pig sick, yes we've got the 32z17b, we brought it from powerhouse, get ready £999.99, okay we only got it because we first bought a bush and that was pants!! and they don't do a refund on pants sets so we had no other choice than to pay them extra for a better set.

anyway, we have geometery problems, we've had 3 engineers out now, the second one totally screwed everything up and we have the infamous dirty patches on the screen.

we are awaiting a new tube which hopefully should cure everything, but if it doesn't then we will definately have to have an exchange, toshiba and trading standards will back me on this.

but problems aside its a wonderful set and if its ok you should be very happy for the money you spent.

one word of warning, when they deliver if they can't get the box thru the door, don't repeat don't let them roll the box (as in cartwheel), i think this is what caused our problems, i wasn't there at the time but found out later.

Wen

I wouldn't settle for a new tube for your TV for that money. It is part of Powerhouse's sale contract with you to provide a product that is fit for the purpose it was intended for, whether it is a Bush or Toshiba, and if it isn't they need to provide you with a refund or replacement, and they know this!

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states that liability for goods sold is always on the SELLER and not the manufacturer and that they must be fit for the purpose intended. Depending on the length of time you have had the TV you are entitled to a full refund if it is faulty, but you have to act quickly for this, otherwise the next step is a replacement.

I would get back onto them, don't let them fob you off and insist that they deliver you a brand new replacement TV or you will take it further.

Regards

AJ

we've been going down this road since the set was 6 weeks old.
it is now 4 months old, powerhouse will not budge one inch, it is not their policy to exchange just repair, toshiba have confirmed that powerhouse have the engineers by the balls and never budge, trading standards and toshiba have told me to accept this final repair and if things aren't sorted TS will back me in suing powerhouse for a replacement.

we are getting tired now but will never back down to them!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear of your problems with the tv and Powerhouse, Wen, but ajwk is spot on about the legalities of it. Don't give the bastards an inch!

And thanks for the tip about getting the box through the door! TV&DD will be ringing me the day before it arrives so i can make sure i'm there when it's delivered. If necessary they'll have to carry it round the back!

I reckon i've got a 70-30 chance of the tv being fine when i get it and most people probably don't have any problems but just about every model of tv has had people on here complaining about poor performance etc, and surely manufacturers should do better to make sure the tv's are 100% ALL the time!

It seems such a blinking lottery!

Wen

It doesn't matter if you allow Powerhouse to repair the TV, you do not lose any rights to have a full refund if the repair is unsuccessful. My original 28Z07B was supposedly repaired by the supplier's service agent that I purchased it off, but was even worse when they returned it, so I gave the company I bought it off a refund or replacement ultimatum and a new one arrived the next day, which thankfully is OK!

The shop you purchase from is also liable for the product for up to 6 years after the purchase date and remember that any guarantee is in addition to your legal rights and is offered by the manufacturer really as a gesture of goodwill as anything else. Do not let them fob you off with 'it is not Powerhouse's policy to exchange just repair' as they really do not have a leg to stand on.

If you purchased with a credit card (not debit or charge) you have even more support. If the item was £100 or more the credit card company has obligations to you as well, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 with a principle known as 'Equal Liability'. This means that both the credit card company and the supplier have the same responsibilities to you for the goods being satisfactory. If you purchased with a credit card complain to the CC company as well.

Failing all this, the last resort is the small claims court, where more info can be found on www.courtservice.gov.uk

All your rights and more can be found on www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Hope this helps.

AJ

I really do feel that I have to warn you about the z17b. I bought one at Christmas and it was fraught with problems. Geometry was poor and not correctable and the screen was covered in dirty patches. The TV also had severe focus issues. The engineers were no help whatsoever saying the TV was "within spec". I ended up £100 out of pocket when I forced the dealer to take it back. Toshiba UK were most unhelpful telling me that these things are acceptable. I for one will never buy a Toshiba again.:mad:

I'm a bit worried now as this is the first widescreen tv i've bought and it'll be here in a few days. :(

Sorry to dig up an old post but how did you get on with the set?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom