Advice needed on subwoofer upgrade sb1000 or sb2000 pro to go with Min22's

We went through a online chat with the guy he got them from. Setting the subs up with audyssey then setting the audyssey app so it only controlled from 500 hz turned of midrange compression then re ran and checked with a spl to all read 75db then went into svs aop and set them 5 db higher and put in movie mode. On the denon app you can change from reference to flat to off i believe and we kept switching whilst running the same scene and stuck with reference. I hope i have explained this right grammer is not buy best subject sorry
When you put it into Movie mode did you also use the parametric EQ ?.
if so what settings did you use.

No we turned that off just used the movie pre set on the svs

Thanks dodge i didnt no that i just took it that it was a dsp mode
The next time you select it, take a look at the volume setting. I think it's a little confusing to begin with were people do think it's actually a 'movie' setting were it isn't in reality.

Fair enough so the modes are just pre set db changes is this correct

The MOVIE preset defaults the volume to -10db
When I did my measurements I had to take mine down to -19 to get it to measure, when I have changed to Movie mode it goes to -16.

Pretty much. They're basic presets were you can save your own changes.

Did you already save something in there ?
I may have done, getting a bit confused. It’s just that when I was doing measurements with Arc Genesis I had to take it to -19 to get it to do any sweeps. I may have played with the peq settings. Should I set it back to the default settings.

I may have done, getting a bit confused. It’s just that when I was doing measurements with Arc Genesis I had to take it to -19 to get it to do any sweeps. I may have played with the peq settings. Should I set it back to the default settings.
I wouldn't worry too much tbh. I dont think you've touched any of the other settings so you could just leave it as is.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. I dont think you've touched any of the other settings so you could just leave it as is.
Thanks Dodge , was hoping that’s what you would say. It can get bloody confusing all this subwoofer stuff. And when you’re an old fart like me even more confusing.

The Apex's got delivered yday. Just set up the front 3.....didnt have to time to calibrate etc. work night and all, first thing that struck me was the size, they are huge for what are supposed to be small speakers. But they do look really nice, even nicer with the grills off. Deep cabinets.

2BCCC5E6-B4FE-4E54-9C55-8A1B24D3E9DF.jpeg

FBE3710A-A1FF-406A-B011-9C5319F3C6AF.jpeg

66A83A10-F061-42E1-946B-F8B1719D8F56.jpeg
EFE55923-3E01-4C77-B319-D9B3FACD558A.jpeg
EBF57D4C-C5E1-4C3D-8E03-188FDB35687A.jpeg

Last edited:
How you finding it?

I still haven't had a chance to recalibrate or put up the rear surrounds. But I did re-watch half of Terminator Genesis last night just to give the front speakers a test as I know that movie is quite bass heavy...I left all my existing settings on the avr as per the settings I had on the cambridge audio min22s just for comparison, so basically the crossovers still left them at 150hz for the fronts, 60hz for the centre.

I'm pleased to say they sound great, much fuller sound, a lot more lower mid range was noticeable from the front L/R even though they were still crossed over at 150hz, the top end sparkle from the tweeters were noticebley clearer and had more definition. The center speaker sounded clearer, fuller, and the dialogue sound now covers a wider front space which I think is down to the centre speaker itself being 20cm wider than my previous one. Pleased with it so far...

I need to put up the rear surrounds, recalibrate and watch a couple of movies and play my favourite game call of duty on the new speakers before I can give some proper feedback. Just havent had much time with them yet, waiting for the weekend....almost here now :)

Brilliant i got mine crossover at 120 which is what i was recommended. Definitely a good upgrade

Brilliant i got mine crossover at 120 which is what i was recommended. Definitely a good upgrade

Why so high? Depending what your receiver founds the roll-off of course, but assuming they are fairly close to walls then i would imagine ported speakers with 5,25" drivers handling 80hz setting fairly easy, 80-100hz would be likely more in the ballpark.

@Zigourney they will sound lot better after doing setup again as you are using wrong settings, too high crossovers and probably correction for old speakers. I would also use higher setting for center channel than 60hz. Most cases there is less reason to keep that low. I hope you would get the center channel at the same level in free air. It so low in depth that you would only need to build small DIY stand for the tv`s feet.

Why so high? Depending what your receiver founds the roll-off of course, but assuming they are fairly close to walls then i would imagine ported speakers with 5,25" drivers handling 80hz setting fairly easy, 80-100hz would be likely more in the ballpark.

@Zigourney they will sound lot better after doing setup again as you are using wrong settings, too high crossovers and probably correction for old speakers. I would also use higher setting for center channel than 60hz. Most cases there is less reason to keep that low. I hope you would get the center channel at the same level in free air. It so low in depth that you would only need to build small DIY stand for the tv`s feet.
I just went with what i was recommended when i got the sub. What happens if its to high i just thought it ment the sub controlled everything

I just went with what i was recommended when i got the sub. What happens if its to high i just thought it ment the sub controlled everything

Do you remember what crossover settings you got for the speakers after running Audussey as i think you bought X4400H? They have been set much lower, perhaps even under 80hz. I`m not necessarily saying 120hz would be too high, but it´s likely the sub also locates bit easier with such setting and the Apex speakers should be able to play lower. I think Monitor Audio recommends 80hz setting for Apex speakers, at least reviews have suggested that and the specs would imply that too especially if the speakers aren´t further away from walls (boundary gain).

40hz so i just set that at what my old arcam used to. Good point on the sub i was thinking the sub was easy to locate. Ill give it a try thanks gasp

40hz so i just set that at what my old arcam used to. Good point on the sub i was thinking the sub was easy to locate. Ill give it a try thanks gasp

Ok try lowering them then from 120hz to 80hz and listen few clips. If you got 40hz for all system then yeah change to 80hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom