Zigourney

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My current home cinema speaker set up is intentionally discrete consisting of:

Cambridge Audio Aero5 full size centre channel speaker
Cambridge audio Min22's satellites for front and rear surrounds
Cambridge audio C165 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos
Cambridge audio X301 sub

I'm looking to upgrade the X301 sub as it leaves me wanting for the deep lows and drops, the volume and loudness on it is fine, but it just can't create the the lows that I want and it isn't good enough for me anymore.

I know I'll need a sub which can crossover at the 150-200hz range. My Denon X3500H crosses the front L/R at 200hz or sometimes even at 150hz. I've left it at 200hz.

After doing some research both on av and avs forums, I've found most people who upgrade from the x301 sub and have the cambridge audio min22 satellites usually go for the SVS SB1000 sub as it has a similar small footprint and positively report the sub blends in really well with the min22 satellites. I can stretch the budget for the SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer, but don't want to spend the extra if its not needed, but then again I don't want to be in another upgrade situation 2 years down the line that I am currently in...

Some advice would be welcome SB1000 or SB2000 Pro to go with my speaker package above. You can see pics of my room (5.5mx3.5) and current setup on pg4 of my thread below in my signature.

Part of me is telling me just go for the SB2000 Pro and forget even thinking of the SB1000 as it is a similar size and amp rating as the cambridge audio x301 but obviously has a 12" driver versus the 8" in the x301. If only I could try them both out before deciding.....

Tom at cine home has a sb2000 pro brand new with warranty £730 no brainer i think

SB2000 / Pro is noticeable step up from SB1000 and AVSF has Min 22 owners with that sub in the large Minx Min thread.

SVS Ed Mullen said: The SB-2000 has a larger cabinet, more amplifier power, a better driver, deeper extension, and higher maximum output capability - especially in the 18-36 Hz octave.

There is new SB2000 sale here for 625£, warranty should be transferable. So if that Pro model Martin said is not available from some reason, then this is your next best bet. Probably goes for 600£.

I just had 2 delivered this weekend do you want me to message him make sure he still has it

I forgot to mention, I want it in Piano black to match my current speakers. The X301 is also in Piano Black and so I don't mind paying a little bit extra for the shiny finish.

If you don´t want to spend 1k£ for the new Pro gloss, then the older model is still option at 705£.

AVO has SVS refurb unit in gloss black with the SVS Isolation system included. These are often in mint condition, i would call them and ask.

I just had 2 delivered this weekend do you want me to message him make sure he still has it

yes please - can you check for me SB2000 Pro in Gloss Black.

If you don´t want to spend 1k£ for the new Pro gloss, then the older model is still option at 705£.

AVO has SVS refurb unit in gloss black with the SVS Isolation system included. These are often in mint condition, i would call them and ask.

The older SB2000 (non Pro) model has that funky looking curved metal grill which is a no go for me I'm afraid...and I will need to keep the grill on due to kids. So im firm with either a SB1000 in gloss or SB2000 Pro in Gloss.

He had 2 unused demo we got great guy same guy i got my arendal from which was imaculate

yes please - can you check for me SB2000 Pro in Gloss Black.

The older SB2000 (non Pro) model has that funky looking curved metal grill which is a no go for me I'm afraid...and I will need to keep the grill on due to kids. So im firm with either a SB1000 in gloss or SB2000 Pro in Gloss.

Fair enough. Fingers crossed there is cheaper gloss Pro available.

Another cheaper option in gloss black would be P12-PR at 575£. It has PR design so should be quite strong down 20hz or so. Read the AVF review. Not sure if the cabinet is too large? This is available at the end of this month what some member told.

They are black ash. For the money saved personally that wouldn't worry me but each to there own

Fair enough. Fingers crossed there is cheaper gloss Pro available.

Another cheaper option in gloss black would be P12-PR at 575£. It has PR design so should be quite strong down 20hz or so. Read the AVF review. Not sure if the cabinet is too large? This is available at the end of this month what some member told.

just had a quick look at that one, seems like the crossover range is 40hz-120hz , would need it go upto 200hz. Also the cabinet size is larger than the SB Pro 2000. Thanks for the link though.

just had a quick look at that one, seems like the crossover range is 40hz-120hz , would need it go upto 200hz. Also the cabinet size is larger than the SB Pro 2000. Thanks for the link though.

No you will pass the internal crossover and then it will play higher!

• 19-220 Hz +/- 3 dB

No you will pass the internal crossover and then it will play higher!

• 19-220 Hz +/- 3 dB

ok no worries. The size is starting to creep up on that box too. Trying to keep it compact as possible.
So what do guys advise? if you've got the budget to stretch which sub to get to go with my current speakers? We've not really discussed it much, is it a no brainer going straight for the SB2000 Pro, or maybe even give the SB1000 a serious consideration or what?

If the app isn`t required and you could consider satin black finish then Arendal 1961 1S should be very good. I think it will cost around 750£, Martin has it. Spec wise almost identical to SB2000 Pro. It has narrow cabinet and driver on right side which is good for you if you keep the sub at left.

Dimensions without feet
41.5H x 31.5W x 41.5D cm

Dimensions with rubber feet
42.7H x 31.5W x 41.5D cm

@martin 39 does the Arendal come with round mask in front of driver like 1723 subs do?

Yes black cloth drill and to be fair its fantastic. Bumbble bee has just come crashing through my sofa. For the money and how quick tom would get the pro to you compared to arendal i see it as a know brainer myself

The 301 is a dinky thing with a passive radiator I believe, so will roll off pretty high hence missing a lot of the low stuff. It is very easy to upgrade that sub's performance but things are going to get bigger.
The sb1000 would be more than adequate for your speaker I would say, the sb2000 is definitely enough if you want to be sure. I have owned minx satellites and the sb2000 in the past.
Your av receiver with the Audyssey app will give you lots of control over how you want to eq the sub so you don't necessarily need the pro version.
There is a white sb1000 in the classified here on avf if you can live with the colour. That doesn't have the metal grill so I guess it must be an option with the older model.

I'd take deal on the Pro2000 in gloss without hesitation..I put a wanted ad out on the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and had American Audio reach out to me with a 10% off for new customers. So I know I can buy the sb2000pro for £900. So thats the price to beat.

I'm OCD about aesthetics, fit and finish so it will defo have to be in gloss black. There was an sb1000 in black ash the other day too in the classifieds, I let that one pass as well. I did ask about the finish as it wasnt mentioned in the ad to begin with.

The 301 is a dinky thing with a passive radiator I believe, so will roll off pretty high hence missing a lot of the low stuff. It is very easy to upgrade that sub's performance but things are going to get bigger.
The sb1000 would be more than adequate for your speaker I would say, the sb2000 is definitely enough if you want to be sure. I have owned minx satellites and the sb2000 in the past.
Your av receiver with the Audyssey app will give you lots of control over how you want to eq the sub so you don't necessarily need the pro version.
There is a white sb1000 in the classified here on avf if you can live with the colour. That doesn't have the metal grill so I guess it must be an option with the older model.

This was what I was hoping, that someone would come on here and tell me that the sb1000 would be more than adequate, I was telling myself at the start of looking for a new sub that the sb1000 would be, but then I started comparing specs and wondered if the sb1000 would actually be a significant upgrade over the X301 or not...so then I started talking myself into considering the sb2000 pro which is right at the max of my budget.

There are some rel t5i on ebay for around £400 gloss Black and a sb1000 for £630 might be worth a look

I'd take deal on the Pro2000 in gloss without hesitation..I put a wanted ad out on the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and had American Audio reach out to me with a 10% off for new customers. So I know I can buy the sb2000pro for £900. So thats the price to beat.

I'm OCD about aesthetics, fit and finish so it will defo have to be in gloss black. There was an sb1000 in black ash the other day too in the classifieds, I let that one pass as well. I did ask about the finish as it wasnt mentioned in the ad to begin with.

This was what I was hoping, that someone would come on here and tell me that the sb1000 would be more than adequate, I was telling myself at the start of looking for a new sub that the sb1000 would be, but then I started comparing specs and wondered if the sb1000 would actually be a significant upgrade over the X301 or not...so then I started talking myself into considering the sb2000 pro which is right at the max of my budget.

If you can spend more then do it. There is always the possibility to get buyers remorse / what if thoughts if you pick the lesser one. Think it as long term purchase, it`s likely that you will keep the sub very long time and upgrade some of the other things first.

The Pro version does bring performance gains over the older SB2000 aswell as there is new amp and new driver, so it`s not just about the app.

Also i´m wondering as you have bit mixed system are you going to upgrade the front three or even the main channels to something larger maybe wall mounted on-wall speakers? You would gain quite a bit if the speaker would be brought up and partnered with bookshelf speakers. Tv should be wall mounted then. These days there is compact good looking speakers that sound great!

You have fine receiver, but the speaker choice at front (LCR) is bit questionable.

1beaa406-f49f-4850-a9e8-79cac5f8133e-jpeg.1101733

bc6f72d3-5fb5-4fc9-bba9-ec0d220f4960-jpeg.1101725

If you can spend more then do it. There is always the possibility to get buyers remorse / what if thoughts if you pick the lesser one. Think it as long term purchase, it`s likely that you will keep the sub very long time and upgrade some of the other things first.

The Pro version does bring performance gains over the older SB2000 aswell as there is new amp and new driver, so it`s not just about the app.

Also i´m wondering as you have bit mixed system are you going to upgrade the front three or even the main channels to something larger maybe wall mounted on-wall speakers? You would gain quite a bit if the speaker would be brought up and partnered with bookshelf speakers. Tv should be wall mounted then. These days there is compact good looking speakers that sound great!

You have fine receiver, but the speaker choice at front (LCR) is bit questionable.

1beaa406-f49f-4850-a9e8-79cac5f8133e-jpeg.1101733

bc6f72d3-5fb5-4fc9-bba9-ec0d220f4960-jpeg.1101725

The reason it is a bit of a mixed system is because I essentially switched out the min22 centre satellite speaker for the Cambridge audio Aero 5 centre speaker which also has a BMR driver in it. Therefore giving me a larger, more fuller centre speaker for dialogue and at the same time matching it with the rest of the BMR drivers in the rest of the satellites. The result is great I am totally happy with it. I don’t feel I have the need or the itch to upgrade anything else at the moment, except the subwoofer which is lacking and leaves me wanting.

I previously had the Kef eggs and that was a nice compact system, I prefer a small and punchy system in the living room, it isn’t a dedicated movie room. I do have longer term plans to convert my garage into a dedicated movie room, but until then I will be sticking with the satellites I have now in for the living room.

The reason it is a bit of a mixed system is because I essentially switched out the min22 centre satellite speaker for the Cambridge audio Aero 5 centre speaker which also has a BMR driver in it. Therefore giving me a larger, more fuller centre speaker for dialogue and at the same time matching it with the rest of the BMR drivers in the rest of the satellites. The result is great I am totally happy with it. I don’t feel I have the need or the itch to upgrade anything else at the moment, except the subwoofer which is lacking and leaves me wanting.

I previously had the Kef eggs and that was a nice compact system, I prefer a small and punchy system in the living room, it isn’t a dedicated movie room. I do have longer term plans to convert my garage into a dedicated movie room, but until then I will be sticking with the satellites I have now in for the living room.

Well you could have bought some other brand bookshelf speakers or even the CA Minx XL speakers on top of the unit. Lesser compromise than the size difference now, but i understand you want the system to disappear more.. I would probably look for wall mounted low depth cinema speakers, they can look great on wall and blow you away with the sound. Not cheap though, but rarely this hobby is if you want something special.

Last edited:
Both the SB-1000 and the SB-2000 Pro will work fine in your application. The SB-2000 Pro is naturally more capable - so if you are contemplating future system upgrades, it would be the more future-proof of your two choices.

As others said above, make sure the on-board low pass filter is disabled - because your Denon will be doing the bass management.

200 Hz is very high for a crossover for the fronts, so if Audyssey set it to 150 Hz, I would be inclined to leave it there. The higher the crossover, the more easily you will localize the subwoofer.

So in all cases keep the subwoofer near the front stage LCR speakers if possible for the best blending.

Where did Audyssey set the crossover for the center channel?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom