Advice needed on subwoofer upgrade sb1000 or sb2000 pro to go with Min22's

Zigourney

Zig here is video where the subs are side by side and at the end of clip without front masks. Not that big difference in size. Hope RS can get one for you fast! 4week wait time would be ridiculous as other dealers have it on stock and i think you will get the -10% discount too..

Yea I saw that one, not a huge difference in size with the grills off so it’s looking good! But saying that when I did make the cardboard cut out boxes the sb2000 pro did look a lot bigger than I imagined. But now that I'm planning to get the apex's im really glad I did go for the sb2000 pro as that was the one I originally wanted anyway!

yea 4 week wait would be a bumber! But I’m not in a rush to be honest and don’t mind waiting as I would prefer to deal with my local RS store as they are only 15-20min drive away from me and so if I ever have any problems I can just drive down and get things sorted at the store. I did have a problem with my x301 sub a while back it just stopped working and I just drove down to my local store and the guys were great they had a new replacement one ready for me to swap out and problem solved. So my current x301 sub is actually only about a year old.

I’m expecting a call from RS tomorrow regarding stock so fingers crossed get some good news!

Last edited:

Zigourney

If RS do have the sb2000pro tomorrow in stock I think I will be tempted to ask if they can do me a deal on a pair apex 10's in gloss black at the same time ;) ....or who knows might just go for the lot and order the centre in gloss black too and a pair 10's in white for the side wall surrounds.

If it does turn out that they offer me a deal on them, would an alternative centre speaker from the monitor audio range be a better one to go for than the apex40?

Last edited:

martin 39

Screenshot_20210214_203056_com.ebay.mobile.jpgthis is what i have £299 on ebay

gstadt

When you get that dedicated room i would want to hear the Apex system so that you would mount the center channel vertically upright behind AT-screen. Same height as main speakers. I would be very suprised if you didn´t hear difference! Horizontal dispersion would be also better, keep in mind the horizontal 2-way design with drivers side by side is always more or less compromise. Those drivers are also spaced quite far apart in A40.. But you will probably buy some big ugly "beast" speakers for the man cave (if they go behind screen). :)

Notice that Zigorney has the center channel inside the sealed cabinet completely. Even if the front is open, it´s still far from optimal and the speaker designer would start to cry if he would see this.

bc6f72d3-5fb5-4fc9-bba9-ec0d220f4960-jpeg.1101725
Gasp, what effect does having the drivers, as apart as they are, on the A40s have for a centre channel? And why would the centre sound better vertical?

Zigourney

Just had call from RS and their SVS supplier do have one sb2000pro in gloss in stock, so I should get it by mid to end of the week - happy days! I did ask about a deal on the apex's and they are checking for me if they have any open boxes, if not he will see if he can do me a deal on them, waiting for a call back later. :)

EDIT: just got shipping notification for DPD next day delivery direct from the supplier! looks like its now coming tomorrow!

Last edited:

S3rv3d

I seen the video of the size comparison of the SB1000/2000 posted earlier.... it’s not that much bigger.....didn’t realise the size difference was minimal.... hmm... should I have :D

Saying that, I only had the budget for the SB1000 after a new AVR also, so don’t feel too bad.

Zigourney

I seen the video of the size comparison of the SB1000/2000 posted earlier.... it’s not that much bigger.....didn’t realise the size difference was minimal.... hmm... should I have :D

Saying that, I only had the budget for the SB1000 after a new AVR also, so don’t feel too bad.

Yes once that ugly metal grill came off in the video, the size look very similar don't they. The rounded corners help make it look smaller as well just in general.

Hope the wife approves when it arrives tomorrow lol...she doesn't know I bought one :rotfl: I know she will prefer the size of the current x301 thats for sure...

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Gasp, what effect does having the drivers, as apart as they are, on the A40s have for a centre channel? And why would the centre sound better vertical?

Read the link below, it has further links to Audioholics where they are explained even further. Also there is measurements. I think even Arendal has their measurements done vertically as they didn´t want to show horizontal dispersion. Not that big issue if there isn´t listeners at wider area (big couch sitting at other end etc). For horizontal center channel the big waweguide can still erase lot of the issues (Arendal, Revel). But 3-way design is often more ideal when designed properly. Of course if the speaker can be kept same was upright as mains then that is usually the ideal scenario.

As for the drivers far apart see post #15 for more technical explanation.

Zigourney

I didn’t realise there was an Apex owners thread, went through all 38pages, very happy owners. RS came back to me said they could knock off £100 from the total if bought new, but stock from monitor audio will be delayed till end of March. Need to ring around see if any other retailers would do me a better deal, probably give av online a ring as I noticed they were quite active on the apex thread. No rush anyway, next month suits me fine, gives me time to play with the sb2000pro with my current set up before upgrading.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
will be setting up the sub tonight, didn't get a chance last couple of days. Any tips on set up? or just the usual, set the gain at 50% and re-run Audyssey?

Not familiar with the app, but set the gain with it so that when you run Audussey the on-screen says reading is ~77db. Don`t worry if it says it´s too high, 77-78db is usually what people opt for. Set the low pass filter to LFE, Phase 0 before Audussey if not default. Other settings shouldn´t be touched at this point, regarding some of the special features.

martin 39

Svs recommended when we set my mates up to run audyssey if it says to high put it in the green then re run and when done set the svs up by 5db make sure you get the svs app its really good

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
She’s a beauty....just finished unboxing and tidying, dinner time now then switch it on!

can’t wait lol feel like kid with his new toy...

Just do the 3mic positions so you won`t be listening the test tones all night there. :laugh:

Edit. It looks great! 👌

martin 39

I got mine off ebay £350 for the pair they were immaculate. And a guy on the owners thread said yesterday he might be selling his

DodgeTheViper

defo getting the A10's now, my current speakers are dwarfed by the size of the sub, its screaming to be partnered up with the larger A10's.

Downloaded the svs app now....
Looks awesome in Gloss Black

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Technics launches SL-1200MK7 DJ turntable in silver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published