1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on speaker cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rob@rar.org.uk, May 18, 2001.

1. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any recommendations on speaker cable? I have a Dolby Digital setup comprising Acoustic Research Phantom speakers front and centre, with Eltax HT2 rear speakers all driven by a Yamaha RDX800 (or whatever the code number is). System is used mainly for movies, with some music. Cables will be buried in the wall, so they don't need to be pretty or flat. Longest run is about 4 metres.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try some QED Silver Aniversary. £4.99 p/m

Top stuff! use it on my front sound stage, and its awsome :)

Its gives really open, and detailed sound, and it can handle base to.

Plus its silver, looks better than normal copper :D

3. Qdog

Qdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much difference in speaker cabel, except in guage (spend your money on interconects--big difference there). Recomend 12 ga, you can get 12-4 from Monster Cable desinged for in wall application which will work good. You can also get 12 ga zip cord that will work good too (much cheaper).

More important will be routing through the walls. Pay attention not to cross electrical wires at 90 degrees or run parrellel to them.

Cables work like antennaes and will pick up noise--not good. If you have to, go into the attic, cross the room and then go down the wall where the speaker will be. Good planning pays off .

[ 18-05-2001: Message edited by: Qdog ]

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Richer sounds do a 315 strand cable for £1.99 a metre (Gale XL315). It is oxygen free etc and is very thick.
    It sounds excellent and transmits bass signals with no restrictions (in fact i am now wondering if i need my subs!).
    Spend more if you wish but i feel it will only make your speaker sound differrent not neccessarly better. IMHO!
    ;)

5. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use qed silver bi-wire and would like to upgrade any advice? ;)