Advice needed on spare tyre

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just checking the spare tyre on my new (used new, not brand new) car and noticed that it is actually smaller than the other tyres on my car. Its not one of those small temporary tyres though.

My car tyres are 225/45 R17 but the spare is a Conti Sport 205/55 R16. Im a little annoyed but I suppose I should have checked properly first, I just glanced at it when purchasing, saw Conti Sport and was happy.

What Im wondering is that if I needed to use this as a spare, would be safe and legal?

If not, Ill stick it in the shed and its perfect for my Dads car!

No it would not be safe. Whilst you might get away with it and nothing might happen if you did end up using it the bottom line is they are different sizes so either replace it or don't use it, not worth the risk.

It's not illegal to fit different size tyres as long as they are the same on each axle but in this case it would be different across an axle so is illegal as well.

the numbers mean width(mm)/sidewall height (%)/rim size (inches)

so 225 with 45% means they are 225mm wide, sidewall of 101.25 and a rim of 17in.

and 205 with 55% means they are 205mm wide, sidewall 112.75 and a rim of 16in.

Last edited:
It is fine if it's classed as a space saver (ie, just to get you home or to the nearest tyre place. Your car will not flip over in a huge fireball becuase the wheels are different sizes.
As long as you use it just as a temp measure in an emergency and don't try and do a hundred miles on it or break the lap record at the nurbergring it should be ok. It will not fail an MoT.

Is this tyre a "space saver" one, if so they normally have a sticker on the side warning that you must not exceed 80 Km/h (50 mph).

Having said that my spare one is the exact same size as the rest, 205/45 16, this only difference is it's mounted on a steel rim instead of an Alloy and it's a non-directional Michelin Pilot Premicy Tyre with W speed rating. The daft thing is it has a yellow sticker saying max speed of 50 mph. The tyre is rated over 130+.

So if you do have a puncture and use you spare which is different, I would try to keep the speed down a bit. The car will handle differently, especially in the wet.

No it would not be safe. Whilst you might get away with it and nothing might happen if you did end up using it the bottom line is they are different sizes so either replace it or don't use it, not worth the risk.

Thanks. I know what the numbers means. Was just wondering in general.

It is fine if it's classed as a space saver (ie, just to get you home or to the nearest tyre place. Your car will not flip over in a huge fireball becuase the wheels are different sizes.
As long as you use it just as a temp measure in an emergency and don't try and do a hundred miles on it or break the lap record at the nurbergring it should be ok. It will not fail an MoT.

Nope, doesnt look like space saver, just a normal full sized tyre.

I dont think it would pass the MOT. My last car had 3 tyres with a width of 165 and one with 175. That was failed on the MOT, luckily the spare was fine so the garage swapped it before the retest.

Might pop down the local tyre place to get a cheap part worn just to use as a spare if i ever need it.

You can't get a cheap tyre as the wheel size is different.
I have seen smaller cheaper wheel and tyre fitted from new, to save money:confused:
And yes it will fail a mot.

You can't get a cheap tyre as the wheel size is different.
I have seen smaller cheaper wheel and tyre fitted from new, to save money:confused:
And yes it will fail a mot.

Sorry, what I meant is a cheap part worn 17" tyre. Just to use as a temp replacement, should I get a puncture.

But the wheel is 16"
You'll need a wheel aswell.

Oh I get you. Im sure that place does them. If not there is a scrapyard next to them :D

You will only fail the MoT if it's fitted to your car. If it's the spare then you'll be fine.

What you have is OK. If you get a puncture, put it on and take it straight to a tyre place.

I used to have 16's on my clio but only had a 15' spare wheel.

I'd just use it if i needed (not that i ever did) and get my other wheel repaired asap.

When you take into account the tyre profiles theres not a lot in it!

I asked my Mechanic who also does MOTs and he said for the purpose of using at a spare it shuold be fine.

My car tyres are 225/45 R17 but the spare is a Conti Sport 205/55 R16. Im a little annoyed but I suppose I should have checked properly first, I just glanced at it when purchasing, saw Conti Sport and was happy.

What Im wondering is that if I needed to use this as a spare, would be safe and legal?

Perfectly safe, and perfectly legal.

There's only a 2mm difference in overall diameter between the two wheels, you'd get more of a difference due to tyre wear. The spare is just a different size to save money.

225/45 R17 = 634mm
205/55 R16 = 632mm

Well the spare came in useful today. Took my car to the mechanics to get something checked out and got a puncture with some sort of screw stuck in there!

Left the tyre to be repaired and using the spare at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom