Advice needed on Sky HD box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chipset, Sep 12, 2012.

1. chipset

chipset
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps
    I'm about to haul myself into this century and need some advice.
    It's finally time for me to upgrade from my old CRT TV and 10 Year old Panasonic Sky box (which however is still going strong!). I'm on Freesat from Sky - I want to stay with Sky and don't want to change to a subscription service - but do want HD where it's free. ;)

So presumably I need a Sky HD box. Does it matter if it's also a Sky Plus box if I don't want Sky Plus? Are there any models which have come out with better reviews than others? And any best avoided?
    Cheers

2. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Ditch Sky and buy a Freesat PVR, it'll change the way you watch TV.

3. chipset

chipset
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've wondered about this.
    But aren't there supposed to be more programmes plus a better EPG on Freesat from Sky? Plus I don't think you can get Sky News or LBC on Freesat. :confused:
    Edit: I've just seen that you can do a manual tune to get these channels. Is that every time or can you add it to your EPG?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    FreeSatFromSky is very little different from not being on Sky at all - all it does more than that is give you a few channels that are not totally free.
    So, there are a few more programmes, but do those specific programmes really matter to you?
    The FS EPG is fine - it's what the FS organisation is for, intended as the free alternative to Sky.
    Although you don't have recording facilities now I think you'd soon find that their provision on FS machines would turn out to be useful for you.
    As kevkbuk says the service could change your viewing - for the better of course.
    There's only one Sky machine, but several FS ones - here they are: Satellite Receivers - freesat.
    Your new TV will have HD Freeview and that will give you Sky News, so it doesn't matter whether it's on the FS EPG.
    FV might actually give you everything you want, so that you wouldn't need satellite at all: Freeview / Home.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. chipset

chipset
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help. Sadly Freeview is not an option due to the poor signal where I live. So it has to be satellite :(

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    That's OK, and it's unfortunate about FV reception - when are they planning to improve it in your area?
    Anyway, you have the satellite equipment so you'll be fine with a FS receiver, or PVR.

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    Where I live they just turned off the analogue signals where we lived, so they didn't leave people totally without tv they improved the freeview signals so now we can get all the BBC channels, in a few weeks we have to retune again then we should be able to pick up itv and some of the others.

I couldn't be bothered waiting so I ordered two freesat boxes, humax freesat hd + for the living room and a humax hd box for the bedroom, the plus box is HUGE, whereas the cheaper hd only one is much smaller but has the cheapest remote ever.

Anyway I'm rambling on but if you go with freeview you just need to decide what type of box you want, HD boxes are around £80-£90 but if you want one that also records and time shifts your going to have to spend £150+ depending on the model and hard drive size.