1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on set-up,please.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by heelsie, Mar 17, 2005.

1. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am trying to set up some AV for a friend and am having problems.

Old colour TV with one scart (Sanyo)
    STB with 2 scarts (Sagem)
    VCR recorder/DVD combo with 5:1 with 2 scarts (Sony)

Have wired it according to the VCR/DVD instructions......problems with colour and general reception on video channel (AV 1)............then wired it to STB instructions..............much better reception but in B&W.......get very faint tint of colour if I move the STB away from VCR and full reception if I switch of the VCR completely.

Would anybody firstly be able to give me any advice on the best way to wire this whilst allowing recording of STB and viewing another channel.

Secondly, how far apart from the VCR should the STB be to stop interference.

Any help with this frustrating matter would be very grateful.

Thanks

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Only having one socket on the TV is a problem, however your friend could get round this by using a scart switching box - automatic switching would be best.

This would be a good place to try for such a device:

http://www.vivanco-direct.com/acatalog/AV_Switch_Boxes.html

I'd go for the 'AV Control 4 Switch Box with copy facility'.

Using such a box, this is what I would recommend to allow recording from the STB whilst viewing another (analogue) channel:
    • DVD/VCR Combo's AV1 output to one of the scart switching box's inputs.
    • STB's AV1 ouput to another one of the scart switching box's inputs.
    • STB's AV2 output to the DVD/VCR Combo's AV2 input - this may not be required depending on the functionality of the scart switching box.
    • Scart switching box's output to the TV's AV input.
    The issue where a B&W was obtained is probably due to one of your devices outputing an s-video signal to a device which cannot accept such a signal. You need to match the type of signal output with what the input can accept - where possible, use RGB as this will give the best quality; s-video is a close second and composite video a distant third.

Regarding your interference issue, this could be due to the scart leads, your friend is using, not being properly screened. He/she may want to invest in something a little more substantial, but don't spend too much - £15 can buy a decent fully-wired and screened lead. You shouldn't need to keep the VCR and the STB separated at all.

3. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much for your advice. We will try your suggestions and I will let you know how we get on,fingers crossed.

4. pegasus@2para

pegasus@2para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also need some help here i have been to the empire link and looked at the set up for my tv but it does not have the option for a hdmi set up..here is a post i posted into the wrong forum any help would be gr8:i have just brought a pioneer pdp435xde plasma and a pioneer dvr920h-s to go with it...the problem i am having is that what connects to what and with what.i also have sky and the tv come with a tuning box with the hdmi input, i have a hdmi cable and good quality scart cables also..at the minute i have to dvr connected to the tuner with a hdmi cable and the sky connected to the tuner box with a scart but i have no input for the dvr920 so that i can record. would i use a scart from the tuner box to the dvr... i know i am a muppet