Advice needed on Richer Sounds TV replacement

McNugget

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit clueless on tv’s so hoping some of you can provide some advice :)

I got a Samsung UE55MU7000 from Richer Sounds in Belfast (Richer Sounds Ireland rather than Uk) in 2018. The tv was a 2017 model and was down from the original price of >£1000 to £729.

I’ve been experiencing some problems with the tv when using the chromecast with google tv and the ps5. Basically the screen intermittently turns black and when this happens the sound cuts out for a second or two. And separately sometimes the top left corner of the picture zooms into full screen when changing between HDMI sources, requiring a restart of the tv.

I contacted Richer Sounds who organised a repair, but they haven’t been able to source a replacement screen. Today they offered to replace the tv with the LG 55NANO796NE at £529.

I can’t find a comparison online of the two tv’s, would they be considered like for like?

I don’t really want to swap for this LG. It seems like it’s not as “premium” of a model, it doesn’t look as good, and it’s £200 less than what I originally paid (granted it was three years ago). I appreciate the MU7000 wasn’t a top model but it was still originally a £1000 tv which is significantly more than this LG.

Do you think this LG is a good deal that I should take? Or could I ask for store credit to get a better model. Have I a leg to stand on to ask for my £729 back even if it’s credit (assuming no). If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate your advice.

thanks all!

I’m a bit clueless on tv’s so hoping some of you can provide some advice :)

I got a Samsung UE55MU7000 from Richer Sounds in Belfast (Richer Sounds Ireland rather than Uk) in 2018. The tv was a 2017 model and was down from the original price of >£1000 to £729.

I’ve been experiencing some problems with the tv when using the chromecast with google tv and the ps5. Basically the screen intermittently turns black and when this happens the sound cuts out for a second or two. And separately sometimes the top left corner of the picture zooms into full screen when changing between HDMI sources, requiring a restart of the tv.

I contacted Richer Sounds who organised a repair, but they haven’t been able to source a replacement screen. Today they offered to replace the tv with the LG 55NANO796NE at £529.

I can’t find a comparison online of the two tv’s, would they be considered like for like?

I don’t really want to swap for this LG. It seems like it’s not as “premium” of a model, it doesn’t look as good, and it’s £200 less than what I originally paid (granted it was three years ago). I appreciate the MU7000 wasn’t a top model but it was still originally a £1000 tv which is significantly more than this LG.

Do you think this LG is a good deal that I should take? Or could I ask for store credit to get a better model. Have I a leg to stand on to ask for my £729 back even if it’s credit (assuming no). If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate your advice.

thanks all!

Well there are many things to consider when comparing two as you have to be fair with valuation versus age. According to this comparison
Comparison between: 54.6" LG 55NANO796NF, 54.6" Samsung UE55MU7000
Your tv looks like is VA 120hz panel with 300norm and peak 600cd/m2, DCI P3 96%. LG is IPS, 60hz and no details on panel capability. Not saying that its worse, but there is slight difference.

I wouldn't accept that as a decent exchange.

VA vs IPS panel - unless you need wide viewing angles you don't want an IPS. They're worse for overall uniformity, contrast, colour, blacks etc.

120Hz vs 60Hz - Worse for fast-moving scenes like live sports etc.

Overall I wouldn't buy an LG LCD TV and I wouldn't accept it as a replacement for what you had.

Thanks guys, it’s good to know that there are some differences between the two screens, I definitely don’t want to downgrade the set although I appreciate that it’s now almost three years old.
I’ll go back to richer sounds and see what they say :)

I wouldn't accept that as a decent exchange.

VA vs IPS panel - unless you need wide viewing angles you don't want an IPS. They're worse for overall uniformity, contrast, colour, blacks etc.

120Hz vs 60Hz - Worse for fast-moving scenes like live sports etc.

Overall I wouldn't buy an LG LCD TV and I wouldn't accept it as a replacement for what you had.
I have to contend your general denigration of IPS Panels. I have a 2008 Panasonic 1080p IPS TV. The Panel was made by Panasonic not LG. Whilst I would not contend that contrast ratios/blacks are not as good as current VA panels they are very acceptable in other than a total darkness viewing environment. There is no blooming or greyness in dark pictures with black cinematic top and bottom bands ( one exception being recently subscribed Netflix!? via Firestick) Uniformity and colours are as good if not better and (obviously SDR) brightness is better on my old TV than on some rellie/friends recent TV's.
Visitors often ask "How do you get such an amazing TV picture"
Of course the viewing angles both horizontally and vertically are amazing.
Unfortunately the Panasonic IPS-Alpha panels are no longer made, however one thread on here suggested that Sony TV's with IPS panels were better as the panels are made by BOE rather than LG.

And the current IPS panels by LG, which is what we're discussing as that's what's been offered?

Far inferior to the current crop of VA panels from the likes of Sony, Samsung.

If you need wide viewing angles and can't stretch to a VA panel with a wide-angle filter or OLED, then it's a compromise you have to make.
If you read through the threads where users have purchased LG Nanocell TVs they're pretty poor.
Blooming, patchy uniformity, blacks that are grey and murky. I wouldn't have one and i wouldn't accept it as a fair swap for the OPs TV.

Last edited:
And the current IPS panels by LG, which is what we're discussing as that's what's been offered?
As said Sony IPS TV'S are alleged to use reputably better BOE rather than LG panels. Unfortunately one cannot assess this and reliable tests are lacking.
Furthermore VA panels with wide angle enhancements are only available on top of range more costly models.

Last edited:
As said Sony IPS TV'S are alleged to use reputably better BOE rather than LG panels. Unfortunately one cannot assess this and reliable tests are lacking.

So the TVs we're not discussing might be better, but you're not really sure.

Thanks for letting me know. That was really useful.

Furthermore VA panels with wide angle enhancements are only available on top of range more costly models.

Which I already alluded to

If you need wide viewing angles and can't stretch to a VA panel with a wide-angle filter or OLED, then it's a compromise you have to make.

Utterly pointless. If you have some kind of an axe to grind, keep it to yourself. I'll ignore you. You ignore me.

I have to contend your general denigration of IPS Panels. I have a 2008 Panasonic 1080p IPS TV. The Panel was made by Panasonic not LG. Whilst I would not contend that contrast ratios/blacks are not as good as current VA panels they are very acceptable in other than a total darkness viewing environment. There is no blooming or greyness in dark pictures with black cinematic top and bottom bands ( one exception being recently subscribed Netflix!? via Firestick) Uniformity and colours are as good if not better and (obviously SDR) brightness is better on my old TV than on some rellie/friends recent TV's.
Visitors often ask "How do you get such an amazing TV picture"
Of course the viewing angles both horizontally and vertically are amazing.
Unfortunately the Panasonic IPS-Alpha panels are no longer made, however one thread on here suggested that Sony TV's with IPS panels were better as the panels are made by BOE rather than LG.
If your visitors think that a 13 year old 1080p IPS LCD gives an "amazing TV picture", I'd respectfully suggest that a visit to Specsavers is long overdue. Followed by a visit to someone who owns a 4K HDR OLED.

I have the same TV and if mine went capput I'd be annoyed at not having the one connect box again.
I'd be pushing that angle even if it meant adding a few quid for another with it.

If your visitors think that a 13 year old 1080p IPS LCD gives an "amazing TV picture", I'd respectfully suggest that a visit to Specsavers is long overdue. Followed by a visit to someone who owns a 4K HDR OLED.
No requirement for specsavers last eyetest Aug 2020 resulted yet again in no need for glasses other than 1.5 Easyreaders for books newspapers etc. It genuinely is overall better than any other 1080p LED LCD I have seen and delivers excellent colours and brightness and whilst not as good as VA handles blacks and dark scenes better than LG IPS panels ( I have a 6 year old LG as well).
The visitors or no-one else I know has a 4KHDR TV. When the lockdown ends I intend to visit the local Richer Sounds and get a demo or take the plunge unseen if the Sony XH9505 comes down further in price.
The object of my original post in this thread was to point out that IPS panels can give a better performance than attributed to the current LG IPS panels and suggest that Sony IPS TV's which reportedly on this Forum use "better" BOE IPS panels e.g. Sony XH8196 may provide an alternative to the LG offered.

The visitors or no-one else I know has a 4KHDR TV.
There's your problem. I used to think my Sony Trinitron CRT had a good picture, and it did. In 1996.

There's your problem. I used to think my Sony Trinitron CRT had a good picture, and it did. In 1996.
Ahhh The memories of my 24" Sony Trinitron.. Thought it was the absolute dogs at the time. Boy did they weigh a ton and they used to make a funny clunking noise when you turned them on.
They were as deep as they were wide!

Sold mine and got a Toshiba 40" Rear Projection in the very early 2000's

I regret you do not understand me. I do not deny that when I can get an experience of an HDR TV I hopefully will find it superior to my current Panasonic and defo better than the more recent LG I have.
The point I wished to make was that there were and possibly are better IPS tv's than the current LG panels.

BTW by 1996 Trinitrons were being out performed by alternative PIL* CRT's You have to go back to the late 70's and 80's to the time where they were definitely the best. Also did you realise that from the late 80's Sony TV's made in Europe apart from the tube over 80% of the rest of the TV was made up of Philips sub assemblies, they even supplied the scanning yokes and coils for the Trinitron CRT.
* memory a bit hazy on the acronyym ! (something) in line? Just in case please note not confused with PAL (Phase alternate line).

Apologies to OP for this diversion on your post but just trying to make a point re IPS panels.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom