• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed on repair

M

Madge33

Hi there hope someone can help, I'm new to AV but had to get a system repaired recently and was interested on how i did i.e. was I taken to the cleaners?

The system is a Kenwood seperates system I brougth many years ago long story but anyway, when I last used the cd player would not recognise any disks.
So looked in yellow pages for a local Hi Fi shop called and arrange to take up there for them to repair.

Was told it would most likely need new laser. Ok I said can I get a quote?

Not taking in to account the amount of time it took them and the calls I had to make to them they called back and quoted £130 to repair and told me they had been waiting on a price from kenwood for parts?

Got unit back yesterday whoo hoo!

But work carried out was I quote
"Removed and serviced cd motors lubricated sledge rails cleaned opitcal block and laser lens adjusted servos on laser teseted unit ok

If further problems arise new laser will be needed"

As a noob I have no idea as to the value of the work carried out equals the £130 charged?

This is were I would appreciate your help?

The system is

Kenwood DP 950, A 85, T 85L

Cheers in advance for your comments

Admin I'm sorry if I've posted in wrong section please feel free to move.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Hi...welcome to the forums.

I think the price is probably around the going rate,by the time you've added up the parts,and the likely labour time of a few hours,but the real issue is whether or not it would have been better to simply replace/upgrade the player with something newer and maybe better.

M

Madge33

Thanks for your reply and thank you for your comments,
As far as Im aware no new parts were used.

Dom996

Established Member
The price seems ok for the work done. The main issue here is that the laser will also fail eventually and depending on the age of the player may not be replaceable. This should have been discussed with you before work commenced and therefore allowed you to decide on repair or replace.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom