Advice needed on purchase of R1 dvd's

E

eros

1. Who is the cheapest supplier (taking into account price and shipping).
2. What are the rules governing the importation of goods (is their a maximum value you can import goods at without being subject to vat and import duty).
3. Is the shipping price included in the taxable price if you do get stung for duty.
I am in the UK by the way.

Originally posted by eros:
1. Who is the cheapest supplier (taking into account price and shipping).

Check out http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdhtml2

2. What are the rules governing the importation of goods (is their a maximum value you can import goods at without being subject to vat and import duty).

£18. Above that i believe there is 10%(?) duty added and 17.5% VAT calculated on the new amt.
3. Is the shipping price included in the taxable price if you do get stung for duty.

I think so. Not sure on this point. Although some retailers don't mention the shipping

I am in the UK by the way.

The cheapest way to import is to order from www.amazon.com using worldmail. Your package will be shipped to you from Holland thereby avoiding duty. Order for as much as you like. But note that if you use the code harrypttrspc you get $10 off a min $20 purchase. So may be cheaper to spread your orders...

Another popular site is www.dvdboxoffice.com who include shipping into their price. But note that your order will have to be under £18.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
may be going away from the questions, but any body who is slightly wary of ordering region 1 DVDs over the internet should check out WWW.PLAY247.COM

I use them lots. There prices are not always the cheapest, but are not far off. In fact ALL DVDs are about 17.99 even the new T2 BOX Set and Double Disks like ID4.

The price you see on the screen is the price you pay.

Order as many films as you like at one time, they are all sent in there own bag so no import charge is paid.

The films are posted from JERSEY and the longest I had to wait was 5 days for an out of stock copy of Daylight in DTS.

Like i say people will say they can find cheaper but for hassle free shopping go to play

I have always brought my DVD's from the states, from either www.reel.com or www.amazon.com for the past year now. However www.reel.com has stop shipping DVD's, but you can still then for release dates, which is very helpful.
The best policy to stick to, is to order no more than 3 DVD's in one shipment, but 2 is better. This gives you a better chance of avoiding paying VAT and other duty. Always ask for you goods to be sent as gifts, does not cost you anymore money.
It can also be a good idea to check out this web site as it can offer some coupon codes to get money off or free shipping. www.cashsavingdeals.com
Good luck in making your first order.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Agree with cyberdudelion.

As long as you use 'worldmail' Amazon ship via Amsterdam, ie: the EU. I've had packages up to the value of @ £200 and NEVER been charged duty or VAT. Delivery time is 7 to 12 days.

However, this only really works if you order 8 items at a time, otherwise use one of the others mentioned.

------------------
My dvd's: www.dvdtracker.com/~peteh

I use www.dvdboxoffice.com for most of my imports, all DVD'S are sent seperatly,postage is free and invoice is sent via e-mail so no import duty will be payable should customs open the package as the price (rare you go over the limit)is not there.

http://www.dv-depot.com

They have customs avoiding methods.

Best to order 3 discs at a time (2 and 3 disc have free shipping at the moment) as this helps in the customs avoiding system.

One of the best for Customer service.

The new flexi-cart system is good, you add an item to it and they reserve it for you, no need for credit card details etc. When it comes in to stock you are emailed and given the choice to buy it or wait so you can add it to other discs for shipping. Best of all it lets it keep the pre-order price.

Cheapest for the Toy Story 3 disc at the moment.

Agree with either DV-Depot or DVD Boxoffice.
DV-Depot have this unique disc wrapping service, to protect against damage, and it also allegedly lets them declare discs as 'used'. But all mine have been reposted from within the UK anyway, from Bradford.

DVD-Boxoffice are cheaper though, although they also appear to repost from within the UK. It is cheaper to order singly from them with free shipping. Also their pre-orders aren't charged to you until the disc ships, hence you're guaranteed your disc. I've had pre-orders within 7 days.

------------------
My DVD's are here --> www.dvdtracker.com/~scotsman

[This message has been edited by Myke (edited 17-07-2000).]

I use play247 and have found their service excellent - as said before they package each DVD seperately , they are very competitive and all deliveries are free (or included in the price.) They've never disappointed me yet
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom