Advice needed on Planned HTPC system

cameron99999

Standard Member
Hi all

I am planning on building my first HTPC system and am looking for some advice from you guys. I have built a couple desktops before so know my way around getting it setup, trouble shooting etc.

Below is a list of components I’m planning to buy for it. I’m a few hundred £’s short at the moment and so will be waiting till just after Christmas before I buy them all. So I thought id take this opportunity to see if anyone could take a look at the components and let me know if there is anything I’m missing, anything which could be replaced for something which is better value for money and more importantly if there is anywhere cheaper to buy certain items.
I’ve listed components, Prices and the cheapest places I’ve been able to find them.

I’d like to get the total price down a couple hundred £’s if possible.

Asus P6X58D-E X58 Motherboard with 8-CHANNEL
Ebuyer

CPU Intel CORE I7 950 @ 3.06GHz
Ebuyer

CORSAIR H50-1 HYDRO CPU WATERCOOLER
Ebuyer

6GB CORSAIR XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3 Triple Channel MEMORY
Ebuyer

ORIGENAE S21T ULTIMATE MEDIA CENTRE CASE
AWD-IT

Corsair TX 650W PSU Power Supply
Ebuyer

4 x Samsung EcoGreen 1.5TB Hard Drive
Ebuyer

1 x ATI RADEON HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express GRAPHICS CARD with HDMI AND ATI EYEFINITY TECHNOLOGY
Ebuyer

Samsung Blu ray ROM/ DVD±RW Drive
Ebuyer

TOTAL

bryanchicken

Novice Member
:eek:

If you want to drop the price a couple of hundred i would start with not getting a case that costs more that 4 times the price of my entire HTPC!

minute

Standard Member
If you don't intend to use the machine for super-duper gaming, then this combination is far more powerful than you actually need for an HTPC. These days an i3 530 with the integrated graphics and 2 or 4gb of RAM is more than enough for any 1080p/bluray or any other multimedia playback you want to throw at it. My recent build based on an i3 530 was under 400 quid. And it doesn't need monster fans or water cooling to keep it quiet.

Plenty of advice on these forums and on the web about balancing power and features in an HTPC

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
I can see with your choice of gfx card you are looking at the gaming route and this would also be backed up by your cpu selection, but unless you reaaaly think having a screen on the front of your HTPC is worthwile, I would save yourself the £800 and get something else, there are many other cases between £100-£200 that can hold all of your gear so that case is very overkill.

Equally you have not specified what your intended use is at all. If its just for watching and ripping movies then your whole system is overkill.

Secondly although it may not be a money saver, i fail to see why you want 4 x 1.5TB drivers when you could just as easily get 3 x 2TB Hdds for the same money and save space and heat in the case, unles of corse you have done this for RAID.

We need more info of your intended usage.

cameron99999

Standard Member
Sure i see your points, I was originally looking at its smaller brother the S16T or the S14T or maybe the Zalmans HD160XT

I am going to be using it for everything - films, recording tv, music and also for gaming.

I have alot of stuff backed up already and i was looking for something with a lot of storage. The HDs with my films and music i wanted a RAID configuration in case anything was to go wrong. But i suppose i could get a couple 2TB have those as RAID and have another couple for everything else, thus not needing quite as large a case.

The youtube videos of the S21T was what made me want one. Looks the biz. But sure, do i actually need a nice big touch screen, no. More or a want than a need.

Any advice on the other cases above would be appreciated.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Well everything else seems fine so theres not too much more to comment on.

If you werent going to buy the case then you could easily get a very high end graphics card from the money you have left and you would be seeing some seriously nice gaming. Otherwise everything is fine and will do what you want it to do well.

shade_of_meta

Sure i see your points, I was originally looking at its smaller brother the S16T or the S14T or maybe the Zalmans HD160XT

I am going to be using it for everything - films, recording tv, music and also for gaming.

I have alot of stuff backed up already and i was looking for something with a lot of storage. The HDs with my films and music i wanted a RAID configuration in case anything was to go wrong. But i suppose i could get a couple 2TB have those as RAID and have another couple for everything else, thus not needing quite as large a case.

The youtube videos of the S21T was what made me want one. Looks the biz. But sure, do i actually need a nice big touch screen, no. More or a want than a need.

Any advice on the other cases above would be appreciated.

I have an S16T and even it's overpriced....I built a couple of new boxes for friends recently and the Silverstone LC17's I used were of no poorer quality :suicide:

Up your ram, get 2TB drives, grab a new ATI 6800 series (that utilizes TMT5) and get a cheaper case...you'll still save money!

Last edited:

cameron99999

Standard Member
does anyone have any advice on websites to use? or is Ebuyer, Ebay etc the norm? just wondering if there is any hard to find distributers that would save me some cash. Thanks.

spyder viewer

Even Amazon (not Amazon resellers) is reasonable and easy to return stuff but my all-round recommended would be Ebuyer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom