1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on new set up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Surveyor, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Surveyor

Surveyor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite new to all this but am about to purchase the following:

Screenplay 4805
    Denon DVD-1910
    Denon AVR-1905
    Screen from projected.co.uk (plus 10 metre cables)
    Tannoy FX 5.1

I'm hoping to use DVI for connecting the DVD to the PJ. Having read about numerous issues with these bits of kit can someone tell me whether this is a reasonale setup to start with? I was going to get most of the kit from the internet but would I be wise to purchase the DVD, Receiver and projector from a retailer particularly with regards to firmware upgrades and setting up problems I envisage encountering? I intend getting the PJ from Sevenoaks and have them install it.

Comforting advice required, i.e. will it all work and ill I be satisfied?

Thanks

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Yes it should all work together - whether you'll be satisfied is a question only you can answer, but it seems a perfectly reasonable setup to me!

As to where to buy from, that's a personal choice - if you do envisage setup problems, then perhaps a local dealer may be the better option - but basic setup (which is all the dealer will likely do anyway) is really not that hard, and you have these forums to get advice. Have you asked Sevenoaks what their "package" price would be for all of it (assuming they actually sell all those items).
    Firmware upgrades might be an issue - but Infocus allow you to do these yourself (you download the files from their website). The Denon kit might not be as straightforward, but they (in common with most other makers) rarely make firmware upgrades to their budget kit available AFAIK, but you'd have to check for specific units.

PS - have you demoed the units, specifically the PJ and DVD player together.
    If you like what you see in the shop, there's really no real reason you then shouldn't like it at home - unless your front room is brilliant white with mirrored walls :) :)

IIRC the 1910 can be affected by the Faroudja macro-blocking issue - how big a deal this is though, I can't say (do a search in the DVD player forum) - it seems to vary from unit to unit, and person to person from what I've read.
    I've not seen this model in action though, so I'm only passing on secondhand comments here. If you've tested/demoed the combination, and liked the results, that's the best barometer for you!

3. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've got the Tannoys and they're great for the money. I'm going to buy a new setup soon and was going for the Panasonic 700, the Denon (good brand, cheap DVI-D enabled DVD player) and a Draper 106" spring screen...discounttv.co.uk seem a nice bunch and have favourable threads about them. They also sell the 700 with the newest firmware and a pixel check.

Why the 4805 (854x480) over the Panasonic (1280x720) for you?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Should be good. 10m DVI cable may be the only concern... you can pay 200-300 notes for one of those, be interested in how you get on with one for 50 quid (if it's the one I saw on their site?)...PJ

5. Surveyor

Surveyor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Chose the 4805 after what I'd read and then saw it demo'ed in Sevenoaks. Recommended it to a family member and it looks great set up with the Kef Kit 100.

Chose the Denon combination again as a result of what I had read and seemed good for the money. Have not actually sen the Denon work with the 4805? Chose it principally because of the DVI connection.

Will look at your options before making final decision. Is the Panasonic 700 a better choice for a PJ?

Thanks

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316

Oh no - I feel another DLP vs LCD debate coming on :) :)

The answer is of course, maybe, but then again maybe not :D

The AE700 has many features which the 4805 doesn't have. It has vertical and horizontal lens shift, a wide zoom range, a SCART socket, native HD support......and so on.
    It may be that none of these features are particularly important for you, so they may be irrelevant........ or not, it depends on your intended use.

The 4805 is cheaper and has a better warranty though!

Some HD LCD models suffer from what is called vertical banding (VB) in the image (seems a bit hit and miss though, some owners say it's non-existant, while others say it's really bad), while DLP has it's rainbow effect (which some people see, and others don't).
    DLP has a much higher pixel fill ratio, which reduces the chicken wire effect - however, these HD LCDs are higher resolution, which means smaller pixels (less pixellation) and the AE700 has SmoothScreen to reduce the chicken wire effect.
    DLP (at least at this level) has only one image panel, compared to LCDs 3 - there's no convergence issue at all, and there is talk of DLP having generally better long term reliability (I think the jury is still out on that, but it seems feasible).
    HD LCD can display 720p material natively, which may be an issue with SkyHD and HD-DVD coming - no 480p projector (DLP or LCD) can do this, they have to downscale it.

So - you do your research and you make your choice, based on factors which are important to you. It'd be great to combine the features of both technologies into one model, but this kind of sub £1000 projector nirvana doesn't exist, sadly :(

Why not view both models at Sevenoaks and see what you think!

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good post MikeK, the sort of even handed info people need to make an informed choice....PJ