Advice needed on new DVD player & Prog Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza166, Jan 5, 2005.

1. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm looking to change my Pioneer AV757 & Rega CD player to a one box solution and am considering a couple of the Denon/Marantz high end models or the Primare DVD30.

One of the models I was looking at is the Marantz SA12S1, however I'm a little put off by the lack of the progressive scan. Having read reviews on this however, one reviewer stated Marantz have deliberately left this out as they felt most people purchasing this machine would prefer the option of a scaler, quote:

'Lacking are progressive component-video outputs—Marantz thinks that most folks interested in an SA-12S1 will already have an external doubler or scaler that will do a better job than a simple internal doubler on a single chip.'

Can anyone tell me if the addition of a scaler/doubler is the equivilent of having prog scan ? I assume from the article it is, but am confused by the different methods. Does this then mean that if you have prog scan you would not need/could not use a scaler/doubler :confused:

Also if anyone has any knowledge/experience of the above players I'd be grateful.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    It might make sense if you had a display device with an excellent de-interlacer like a good projector but I wouldn't want an analogue signal like component to go to a seperate processing box to be de-interlaced and then sent on to a display device as that sounds awful and a recipe for rubbish results. With digital connections this all changes and then I wouldn't want the expense of a seperate de-interlacer box but would expect the results to be excellent.