Advice needed on my first home cinema seperates buy please

snapon

Novice Member
Hi , i need some help and advice on buying my first home cinema seperates system with only a budget of around 500notes .
At the moment i have a virgin v+ box , ps3 (fat) for gaming and watching blu ray + 3d and just purchased a new lg50pz570 3d plasma . i do have a panasonic all in one home cinema system but its 4yrs old sounds terrible and doesnt have optical etc and i want to upgrade to seperates .

Ive been looking at -
sony strdh820 = 229
onkyo txnr509 = 279
yamaha rxv371 = 229
pioneer vsx521 = 229

Is the onkyo 509 worth the extra 50notes over the other recievers ? i notice that the sony won this years awards in the whf for best av reciever up to 350 ? but no mention or review on the onk 509?

Or would it be worth buying the pioneer 921 or denon 1912 both at 349 and then wait a bit and save more for speakers ? are they worth the extra 100 notes each over the others as i will still maybe keep to my speaker list due to funds .

This leaves me with the speakers -
canton movie 125mx = 279,
kef eggs 1005.2 = 229
harmon kardon hkts9 = 199
jamo hcs102/6 = 220

Any advice would be great and does anyone have any of the above set ups ? or recommend a good compatible set up ?
I will be buying nearer christmas or maybe just after as im sure the prices and deals will be better in the sales .

many thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The Pioneer VSX-921 and Denon AVR-1912 are a step up from the others and one that would be worth taking but if you're going to use the speakers in your shortlist, I would step down to the likes of the Sony STR-DH820. If you planned on upgrading the speakers, then maybe the Pioneer/Denon would be worth getting but in the end, by the time you get round to upgrading, new receivers will be out with some must-have feature and you'll want to upgrade the receiver as well. Up to you really.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom