1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by egg_man, May 24, 2004.

1. egg_man

egg_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 22 ish inch LCD and need some advice on what to choose. I'm looking at these ones so far:

Panasonic TX-2LT3
    Phillips 23PF9945
    JVC LT23E31
    Sharp LC22SV2E

I saw the Phillips one and the Sharp at 7oaks Hi Fi and the Phillips one was miles better picture-wise than the Sharp which was very "milky". The Phillips looked good although its larger 30 inch cousin had far better contrast. (too big and expensive though). Any suggestions gratefully rec'd!

Cheers

2. egg_man

egg_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon guys, you must have some suggestions!

3. egg_man

egg_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump...........

4. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have just bought the philips one and i am more than happy with it. doubles up as a pc monitor too - not that i've tried it out yet.

bought it got £1089 or something like that from unbeatable with the DVDR70 dvd recorder. bargain.

5. egg_man

egg_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Phillips one in a showrom and the blacks were quite murky, is this problem lessened if you use a component video input? Bearing in mind I posted this one up a while back, have the last couple of months seen any good 22 ish inch LCD's come onto the market?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    All LCDs will exhibit some "murkiness". However, differences between different display models may be down to poor setup - LCDs, with their inherent limited contrast, do need some fairly fine adjustment of brightness and contrast to give of their best - many stores just can't be bothered. So unless/until you have actually played with these settings for yourself, to see how dark it will actually go, you can't really rely on what's on in the shop.

The Panasonic job is unique (I think) in that it has a clever scheme which reduces the output of the backlight when the image displayed is mainly dark. This has the effect of increasing perceived contrast beyond the actual capability of the LCD panel.

However, the Panasonic is a low resolution panel (which will actually degrade the definition of PAL TV) at 848 x 480. Not sure, but I suspect the Sharp 22 inch is also 848x480. The others are higher IIRC.

The Panasonic also has a restricted viewing angle below the horizontal. AFAIK the others don't.

Consider also Samsung who make a creditable 22 inch set.