1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on Good Component Switch

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dgordon, Jul 19, 2004.

1. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

First off apologies for the long winded question.

I am hoping somebody can offer me some advice on which component video switch is the best one to suit my purposes. I do not want to degrade the video signal with something cheap however I don't want to go crazy and spend a fortune either.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PW6B Plasma on the wall that has a 15 metre Van Damme component lead running to the cupboard under my stairs. I wish to connect the following bits of kit via some form of switch (contrallable via ProntNG with rf extender):

- Sony 9000 DVP-S9000es DVD player (compenent out)
    - Tivo (via an RGB Scart to component convertor)
    - XBOX (via the official High def component pack) using a wireless controller and wireless headset for Live.

In addition I use a Denon 3801 to power the audio for all of this.

Given the length of the Van Damme cable I am currently looking at the Zektor HDS4 although its a little pricey (however I am willing to pay if it really is worth it to preserve picture quality). I recently ran across some other products claiming to equivalent to the Zektor (but suspicially a lot cheaper):

- Inday RGB4X-r compnent switch (http://www.inday.com)
    - AVT-5842MX component switch (http://www.scancom.plus.com)

Finally my questions:
    Does anyone know if any of these boxes will suit my purpose? (I know available bandwidth and cable length will be an issue)
    Are there any others that anyone knows about that I should consider?
    The Zektor is looking favourite at the moment so is this product available in the Uk or will I have to order from the states?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Can't speak for the others, but I use the Zektor and it's a great piece of kit - once setup it just disappears into the system. Zero signal degradation that I can see, and the fact that it switches digital audio too makes it a doddle to use. Great bit of kit ;)

Speak to Joe at The Media Factory - he'll sort one out for you.

Cheers, Carl.

3. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the contact Carl. After your answer last night I eMailed Joe at The Media Factory and he was extremely helpful. A few hours later I had a Zektor HDS4 in Silver and 3 cables on the way to me. Hows that for service! Of course the goods will not arrive for a bit but judging on my experience so far I would thoroughly recommend Joe and The Media Factory to anyone.

It definitely sounds like the Zektor is the product for me and the geek in me especially liked the fact that you can teach the Zektor to respond to any code you wish to send to control it meaning one code from my ProntoNG can switch my amps audio and also the video source on the zektor simultaneously (reducing another macro step and delay). Not essential in my buying decision but a nerdy little bonus none the less.

Thanks Chaps

Dave

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You're welcome. I would say 'enjoy the Zektor' but, to be honest, after a week you'll have forgotten you've even got one ;)