• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed on driving in London

reluctantdriver

Novice Member
Ok so the best advice is going to be "Don't". However I don't have a choice lol. I need to get from the M11 to Victoria Coach station, arriving there 1140am. The best route appears to be M11, A405 (N. Circular) to Brent Cross then either A41 or A5 into the West End. My question is, of the choice of A5 (Edgware Rd) or A41 then right onto A5205 at Regents Park, which is likely to give me the least holdups? Any idea roughly how long its going to take from Brent Cross? I'm thinking about 2hrs?

Thanks in advance to all you London experts!

Lou

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Where on the M11 & on what day?

I'd probably be inclined to stay on the M11 where it becomes the North Circular down to the A13. You then have a fairly straight run along the A13 through Poplar, Tower Bridge & the Embankment to Westminster.

lovegroova

Prominent Member
Don't, indeed. :D

Google maps has a useful feature telling you approximate times depending on when you need to arrive.

Just looked now and the advised route is N. Circ to the A13, Limehouse link and then along the river - this seems a good idea, the N Circ and A5/A41 are horrid most of the time.

In other words, use Google Maps and it'll give you a good route based on current conditions.

Theseus

Distinguished Member
Where on the M11 & on what day?

I'd probably be inclined to stay on the M11 where it becomes the North Circular down to the A13. You then have a fairly straight run along the A13 through Poplar, Tower Bridge & the Embankment to Westminster.

This might be your best option but it's not a given. I've found Waze to be the best free satnav app for navigating London, as recommended by several good cab drivers. It's never failed me on cross city commutes.

reluctantdriver

Novice Member
Hmm thank you so much for your suggestions, I don't have SatNav because I'm deaf and really need to concentrate when driving so I use Google maps and write myself directions which I learn. I was hoping to avoid paying the congestion charge LOL but I guess that is the cost of driving in London!

My trip is Monday 2nd June, I need to be at Victoria Coach station at 1140. I'm coming down the M11 from DUnmow via A120 and Stansted, I could avoid the M11 altogether and come through Ongar down to the A12 and then the A13 but have a feeling that would take much longer?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
My trip is Monday 2nd June, I need to be at Victoria Coach station at 1140.
Ouch, I wouldn't fancy that! I used to live in Stebbing so would still stick by my original suggestion, but would have an alternative to hand depending on traffic conditions/roadworks on the day.

If you're picking up/dropping off, could they use the Tube? The coach station is around half a mile from Victoria Tube & that's a straight run to Walthamstow Central. Or a change to the Central Line at Tottenham Court Road brings Epping into play. Both a much less painful proposition & no Congestion Charge.

Edit
That's some forward planning for 2020 or do you drive a DeLorean? ;)

Last edited:

reluctantdriver

Novice Member
Lol 12th June. Though we may indeed go again in 2020. Unfortunately the tube isn't an option as we have an appointment in the west end where we have parking arranged then heading off up north via the M1 afterwards. Its never straightforward... if I could avoid going to London by car I would but in this case there really is no alternative. In fact, if I could avoid going to London at all... :D

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Just use a satnav and glance at it occasionally. That will give you the fastest route based on traffic. Google maps is a free download for your phone. If you have it on you don't have to stare at it continually. Much better than getting lost and your stress levels will evaporate. Problem = solved.

JUS

Prominent Member
I'd use Waze. Free download for your phone. Traffic update that are much better than usual sat Nav (in my opinion)

jenam93

Prominent Member
If you are worried about where your phone is in the car when trying to look at it being a satnav, get yourself a magnetic vent holder. I have the Spigen linked but there will be others out there.

The magnet can just be slipped inside a Case if you have one, without the need to stick it to your phone. If you do go for this and want to attach it, I would suggest sticking it to the inside of the case rather than the phone as it stops NFC from working. (Which is a great unexpected safety bonus!)

If you map your route on Google Maps while at home you can download the area on wifi, so you will have less data usage when out and about. Google maps traffic is powered by Waze these days.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom