Advice needed on correct chroma settings for hdr movies.

Snoots101

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New around here and a little bit of a noob with HDR, looking for some tech advice from someone who knows their stuff.
My issue is I have a 4k hdr blu ray player set up to my 4k TV.

Iv been reading up a bit about chroma formats 4:4:4, 4:4:2, 4:4:2.
Im looking to find out which one will give me the highest quality picture on my TV from the blu rays.
I currently have a 4k 24p bt2020 4:4:4 10bit source which is showing as being recieved and played as the same but the chroma is changed 4:2:0.
I am seing data transfer peaks of up to roughly 45 mbps.
Is this the best setting or does it need changing?
I have a panel that is the cheating version of 10bit, its 8 bit but it does something else to get the other 2 bit, not sure what.
Appologies for the rambling it's a lot of new stuff to me.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello,

New around here and a little bit of a noob with HDR, looking for some tech advice from someone who knows their stuff.
My issue is I have a 4k hdr blu ray player set up to my 4k TV.

Iv been reading up a bit about chroma formats 4:4:4, 4:4:2, 4:4:2.
Im looking to find out which one will give me the highest quality picture on my TV from the blu rays.
I currently have a 4k 24p bt2020 4:4:4 10bit source which is showing as being recieved and played as the same but the chroma is changed 4:2:0.
Is this the best setting or does it need changing?
I have a panel that is the cheating version of 10bit, its 8 bit but it does something else to get the other 2 bit, not sure what.
Appologies for the rambling it's a lot of new stuff to me.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
What player? What TV?

Hello, TV is

TOSHIBA 50UK3163DB​

And the blu ray player is,

Panasonic DMP-UB900​

Thanks.
Where are you getting this 4:2:0 from? Player or TV?

I think you may be misinterpreting the UB900 Playback Info screen.
The top line of this is the input content which will be 4:2.0 as all UHD discs usually are.
The third line (HDMI output) will usually show BT2020 HDR 4:4:4 at 10bit or 12 bit depending on the TV. If that is what you have shown, all is OK and as it should be.

Ahh, I was seeing it back to front, what your saying matches up perfectly with what I'm seeing, thank very much.

So all is as it should be and I'm getting correct picture, that's great to know, thanks for the quick reply.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom