1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on connecting a panasonic AE700 to a computer.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maciglass, Jun 22, 2005.

1. maciglass

maciglass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, I am going to buy a panny ae700 soon and have a few questions that I hope somebody out there can answer.

I am going to hook the pj up to my dvd, sky and pc. The question I need answering is what will be the best way to connect the pc. My graphics card is an HIS ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR IceQ which has both vga and dvi outputs. I know i can connect using the vga easy enough, it is the dvi that i am wondering about. The pc connection has a DVI-I [analogue and digital combined] socket, can this be connected to the HDMI socket on the pj? HDMI will work with DVI-D [digital only] with a convertor, but will it work with DVI-I from the PC? :confused:

The cable I will need to run to the pj from the pc will have to be 10 - 15 metres, will this have an effect on the digital signal at this length, ie loss of quality. So would I be better off using the analogue vga cable anyway.

Cheers for any help :thumbsup:

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I am going to hook the pj up to my dvd, sky and pc. The question I need answering is what will be the best way to connect the pc. My graphics card is an HIS ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR IceQ which has both vga and dvi outputs. I know i can connect using the vga easy enough, it is the dvi that i am wondering about. The pc connection has a DVI-I [analogue and digital combined] socket, can this be connected to the HDMI socket on the pj? HDMI will work with DVI-D [digital only] with a convertor, but will it work with DVI-I from the PC? :confused:

Yes, it will work fine using a DVI-HDMI cable.

The cable I will need to run to the pj from the pc will have to be 10 - 15 metres, will this have an effect on the digital signal at this length, ie loss of quality. So would I be better off using the analogue vga cable anyway.

But here's the rub - it may not work fine over 15m.
    A good quality cable will help of course, but even then, there's no guarantee at this distance, DVI simply wasn't originally specced to drive cables this long. So, it may work fine, or it may not - you'll only know for sure when/if you try it!

3. maciglass

maciglass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Mike. I probably try to test it before I buy. I think I'll try a vga cable also, in case I upgrade my DVD to one with hdmi in the next year or so, and compare the quality between the two. I might sacrifice a little quality for the much cheaper vga cable.

Thanks again

4. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running a VGA cable at about 15M without any problems. Haven't tried DVI, sorry.

Make sure you take a look at powerstrip, getting 1:1 pixel mapping is essential for the best picture.

5. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've just recently picked up a well priced 15m hdmi-dvi cable on ebay, only had it hooked up a few times to my 9600 but has been fine, no sparklies etc.

One thing I have noticed is that I look the top 5-10 pixels of the PC image when I'm connected either by dvi-hdmi, or by the component-dvi adaptor I've got for the card. I've tried this at 1280x720 and 1920x1080 with the effect.
    1) has anyone else seen this problem and can offer advice?
    2) can someone post their powerstrip settings for optimal ae700 use?

Cheers!